Report: Irish miss on top WR target Daniels

Jun 22, 2010, 7:30 AM EST

For the second time in a week, the Irish have finished in second place for an elite recruiting target. Or so it seems from early reports.

Across the internet, it’s been widely reported that Chicago wide receiver DaVaris Daniels is making his college decision this afternoon, with his finalists being Notre Dame and Miami. Daniels has long said that Notre Dame has been his favorite, but whispers along the interweb having Daniels pledging to Miami later today, with the Chicago Sun-Times even brazenly announcing the decision, punctuated with a bullet.

Unable to qualify academically for admission to his first choice, Notre
Dame, wide receiver DaVaris Daniels of Vernon Hills has decided to
enroll at the University of Miami.

Daniels, son of the Washington Redskins’ Phillip Daniels, will make
his
announcement at a press conference at his high school at noon on
Tuesday.

The 6-3, 180-pounder had 13 scholarship offers but never
seriously
considered any schools other than Miami and Notre Dame.

In April, prior to the May evaluation period, Daniels said Notre
Dame was his favorite. “Notre Dame has everything I am looking for. I
feel I can fit in there. I am excited about what coach (Brian) Kelly has
to offer. He has committed to the spread offense,” he said.

Daniels reportedly had an offer from Notre Dame, but apparently it was contingent on some academic issues. If we read between the lines, it looks as though those issues likely helped steer the Vernon Hills star to Coral Gables.

I’m finding it hard to believe that Daniels was told flat-out he wasn’t getting into Notre Dame, especially before Daniels even started his senior year of high school. From every discussion I’ve had with people close to the program and with knowledge of the admissions process, if a student-athlete makes a commitment to succeeding in the classroom, most times that student will end up getting admitted.

Anytime you lose the top-ranked skill position player in Illinois it’s a let down — especially if they had Notre Dame as their top school throughout recruiting — but I also tend to believe that a guy not willing to put in extra school work during his final year of high school isn’t a guy that’s going to fit in all that well at Notre Dame.

1. TLNDMA - Jun 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Keith, not sure of the timeline here but, ESPN is reporting Daniel’s has delayed his decision and press conference.

2. TLNDMA - Jun 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Keith, now I read a quote from his coach that he hasn’t even visited Miami yet. Sounds like the kid was really jumping the gun and realized it. Hopefully for him he slows the process down and makes the best decision for himself.

3. JOHN - Jun 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM

please remove this article to save the kid and his family any more embarrassment.

4. Art Vandelay - Jun 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I both love and hate the fact that we won’t admit just anybody.

5. Tripp - Jun 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM

You shouldn’t say the Irish “miss” on top target… He didn’t do well enough academically to qualify. That’s not really ND missing.

6. Keith Arnold - Jun 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM

As I just wrote, the plot thickens… Plus, I honestly don’t think that ND turned him down because of Academics, I think he needed to get past some hurdles to qualify. Not the same thing.

7. Prof K - Jun 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Hopefully the kids does what it takes to get admit to ND. that way he will have both an alternative to the NFL and good education for life after the NFL. Some of these football factories actually make it difficult for kids to take regular classes. It isn’t an accident they graduate less than 50% of their teams, while ND graduates more than 95% and it does it the old fashioned way…their kids go to class.