Jul 18, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
The Indiana State Excise Police arrested 44 students on Saturday night after breaking up a party at almost 2:00 a.m., and the police report read like a who’s who of Notre Dame varsity athletes.
Eight Notre Dame football players were among the group ticketed, including Nate Montana, Lo Wood, Chris Watt, Roby Toma, Nick Tausch, T.J. Jones, Steve Filer, and Tate Nichols. Nine Notre Dame hockey players were arrested as well as basketball players Tim Abromaitis and freshman Eric Atkins, part of the six different varsity teams that had a player arrested in the raid.
The 44 students were held overnight at St. Joseph County jail and posted $150 bond yesterday morning. They await a collective court date on July 30th. Head football coach Brian Kelly has already commented on the news.
“I am aware of the situation and am collecting more facts,” Kelly said. “If there is any team-related discipline to be issued it would be handled internally.”
If you’re looking for commentary on a college party that has students drinking beer, Matt at HerLoyalSons.com already said it better than I can. I’d highly doubt that these tickets cost any of the athletes arrested playing time, but I’m guessing the weight room might have a few guys coming early for the next few weeks.
- Sanford trying to quantify quarterback competition 0
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 41
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31