Irish on the verge of recruiting trifecta

Jul 30, 2010, 7:27 PM EST

What started out as a day of celebration for the Irish with the commitment of four-star running back Justice Hayes, is turning into a bonanza with outside linebacker Anthony Rabasa committing to the Irish as well.

Multiple Irish sites along with the Miami Herald report that Rabasa, who just left South Bend after his first ever visit to campus, committed to defensive line coach Mike Elston this afternoon, and spoke with head coach Brian Kelly as well.

“I felt like it was the right place and time for me, and I didn’t want to hold back anymore,” Rabasa told ISD.

While Rabasa is one of the few edge players that don’t fit into the 6-foot-5 height mold, he’s more than made up for it by playing dominating football in one of high school football’s premiere areas. With offers from Florida, Florida State, Miami, LSU, and a slew of other national powers, that was more than enough proof to decide that Rabasa will fit into the mold of Cat linebacker in Diaco’s new system.

Here’s what one schmuck (me) wrote about him back in May:

Rabasa hails from Miami, playing in a premiere conference and putting up
silly numbers. At 6-foot-3, he doesn’t have ideal height, but he’s a
terror on the football field, the kind of guy that Brian Kelly and
company are making a priority to get. Rabasa has guaranteed Notre Dame
an official visit this fall, and he’s already comfortable playing the
outside backer position in the 3-4, something he does in high school.

Rabasa makes 14 commitments for the Irish, and if things shake out as expected for the Irish, they’ll be welcoming their 15th commitment tomorrow, who might be the highest-rated prospect of any on the board for the Irish in defensive end Aaron Lynch.

Lynch is on campus this weekend with his mother and I’d be shocked if Irish fans aren’t very excited come tomorrow afternoon.

As the recruits rack up for the Irish — even before Brian Kelly coaches a single game for the Irish — the concerns that Kelly will be able to lure top-flight talent to Notre Dame have been rendered moot.

1. Doug - Jul 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM

BK and crew are doing much better than I (and many others) have expected without even coaching a game at ND. While I’m excited, I’ll keep it to a minimum until I see what he does (thanks Weis and Willingham).
    I can’t imagine that BK won’t be able to do with the Irish what he has done everywhere else he has coached. If that holds true, watchout!!!

2. Michael Maisonneuve - Jul 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Great recruiting!
    Any word on Christian French?
    Another OL, DT, WR would be fantastic.
    Michael from Ottawa

3. 4TheTruth - Jul 31, 2010 at 2:24 AM

They aren’t offering any DT’s (nose guards actually). Besides Ian Williams. We have Brandon Newman 3 years of eligibility left, Tyler Stockton who has 4 years of eligibility left, Louis Nix will have 4 or 5 years of eligibility left, and Sean Cwynar still may play nose and has 3 years of eligibility left. Coach Kelly stated on National Signing Day this year that we are set at nose guard. All those guys were highly recruited and are competing for one spot. Safety, a bigger DE like Lynch, maybe one more wide-out, and one other OL are all positions of need now.

4. BrianM - Jul 31, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Multiple sources have Cornerback Jalen Brown becoming the third commit within 24 hours this evening. Nobody seems to know anything about the kid or have any idea where this came from, since he hasn’t visited ND. In any case, he’s a welcome addition to the team and it’s good to see a Cornerback commit. I was getting worried there.

5. TLNDMA - Jul 31, 2010 at 7:14 AM

I bet Kelly and staff are enjoying their Cheerios this morning. What a nice start to the day. 16 verbals now, only about 4 or 5 spots left.
    Let’s see how about, Davaris Daniels wr, Stephon Tuitt de, Antonio Richardson ot, and Wayne Lyons s. Oh, what the heck, Christian French too.

6. TLNDMA - Jul 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Aaron Lynch is IRISH ! What a great morning this is turning out to be.
    When hired the big ??? was could Kelly recruit with the big boys? Nuff said?
    5 weeks til Purdoo, can’t wait, Go Irish!!!

7. borromini - Jul 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Lynch is Irish…announced Saturday morning at WNDU station. What a weekend of verbals. Trying to remember the last time ND has had such a fantastic off-season weekend with recruiting.

8. FreQaZoiD - Jul 31, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Nice! 4 in 24 hours! Any other prospects we may hear from this weekend?

9. ugetwutuask4 - Jul 31, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, I hear Urban Meyer should be committing any day now. I’m not sure if it will be to the Irish or suicide but he will be committing shortly.

10. ugetwutuask4 - Jul 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Will somebody wake me up, pinch me or something because I feel like I’m dreamin’ or had one too many Jaeger Bombs last night!