NBC taps Mayock to replace Haden in broadcast booth

Aug 2, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT

With Pat Haden turning in his headset for a corner office at Heritage Hall, NBC has turned to NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock to provide color commentary during Notre Dame broadcasts. Mayock will be in the booth along side Tom Hammond on September 4 when the Irish host Purdue to kick off the Brian Kelly era at Notre Dame, NBC Sports’ 20th season broadcasting Notre Dame football.

“Mike’s knowledge of and passion for college football has resulted in him becoming one of the most respected voices in the game,” said NBC Sports executive producer Sam Flood. “He possesses a relentless work ethic and perfect pedigree as a former player and son of a coach. We are excited to add him to our team.”

Mayock’s done some incredible work at the NFL Network, contributing on shows like Playbook and NFL Total Access, but it’s his work as an NFL Draft analyst and on-location at the NFL Scouting Combine in Mobile that has me excited.

If you’ve seen Mayock on TV at all, you’ll know that he does his homework. Whether its the knowledge base he has as a former defensive back in the NFL or being the son of a college football coach, Mayock’s got a firm grasp on the Xs and Os of the game, and every time I watch a game he’s covering I find myself learning something new, one of the best compliments I can pay to a color analyst.

“As the son of a coach and someone who has been around football my entire life, my favorite part of sports television has always been broadcasting games,” Mayock said. “The fact that I will now provide commentary on one of the most historically important teams in the history of college football on NBC Sports makes me about as happy as I can be as a sports broadcaster.”

I realize complimenting the broadcasting choice of your employer is hardly a shock, but I’m legitimately happy with the naming of Mayock to the broadcasting team, and the trio of Tom Hammond, Mayock, and Alex Flanagan make one of the best in college football. There had been plenty of names bandied about since Haden announced his decision to take the athletic director job at USC, and Mayock’s name was never seemed to be on the short list. That said, you’ll be hard pressed to find a guy with a better grasp of football than Mayock, and I look forward to hearing him this fall.

(Added bonus: Mayock’s a member of the Boston College Hall of Fame for his exploits as a football and baseball player so we’ll still be able to field complaints that our announcers hate Notre Dame…)

I look forward to catching up with Mayock in the future and getting his opinion on the Irish — including some draft projections for preseason All-Americans Kyle Rudolph and Michael Floyd.

1. mike b - Aug 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

He does seem pretty legit, all things considered. I don’t expect overt BC homer-ism, but rather the subtle “ND isn’t special” vibe perfected by the BC crowd. We’ll see!

2. piratey - Aug 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM

When it comes time to replace Tom Hammond(sooner than later please…) who are they gonna get? Elvis Grbac? TJ Duckett? Bob Greise? The ghost of Roger Staubach?
    I would have rather seen NBC make a flashier move. Brought some more attention to the games on Saturday. Notre Dame games have a very unique place on the football TV schedule. I got friends of different teams out here that schedule their football saturdays watching the first set at noon and by the 4th quarter, if none of the games are close or interesting, they’ll check out the ND game before the 3:30 game(and that’s IF the 3:30 game features anything better. If you can get those people that are looking for something new at 2:30, you might get them to keep watching if the Irish keep up their end of the deal.

3. mikeford - Aug 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM

After listening to him on youtube I’m not very impressed! Hopefully Keiths blog can keep me awake!!

4. IrishAyes - Aug 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Are you kidding me?? Tom Hammond is not “one of the best”….NBC missed a chance to clean house and start fresh.

5. Don in Denver - Aug 3, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I just hope that Mayock and Hammond go lighter on the “human interest” stories and stick to the football stuff.

6. Mike In Dallas - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I agree with IrishAyes about the Tom Hammond. I sincerely feel his is the worst play-by-play guy in college football. I have been listening to/watching ND football since the early 1960s prior to my attending ND. He alone makes me want to just listen to the radio. Why are you so blind, NBC?

7. Tony Coulter - Aug 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Mike is an excellent choice to replace Hayden. He will bring a fresh and intelligent voice to the color side of the game. No one can break a play down or does better prepartion work that Michael F Mayock. Cheers ND for bring one of the best back to the booth.

8. scott dunn - Aug 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Seriously, NBC couldn’t find a qualified Golden Domer? First USC now BC, the only thing worse would be a Michigan grad. When will they finally realize its not Football, or College Football, its Notre Dame Football!

9. Chucket - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:57 AM

How about Joe Namath, OJ Simpson, Bob Griese, Mark May, John Travolta, Bob Davie, Jerome Bettis, or Dr. Lou?

10. ROB SPLENDA - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I have been watching,listening,and attending Notre Dame football games since 1964 and watching the TV broadcasts with Hammond and Haden has made me sick. Hammond and Haden both flat out SUCK!! NBC needs to get rid of Hammond and the new guy. This is not just college football it is Notre Dame football that has its own contract with its own tv network. NBC needs to get Notre Dame affiliated announcers not just any shmuck doing football games. It’s Notre Dame football on NBC which means it ok to get announcers who are pro Notre Dame and not get announcers who are just neutral announcing just another football game. This is a new era at Notre Dame with Brian Kelly, so its time for NBC to start a new era with some quality announcers that will help the tv ratings only go up. Please NBC, get your head out of your — !!! and do the smart thing.

11. RBS - Sep 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Just finished watching ND vs Purdue and heard Mike Mayock for the first time. His ability to point out plays and tendancies in real time was AWESOME. If NBC execs are reading these comments: PLEASE HAVE MAYOCK DO MORE THAN JUST ND GAMES!

12. Jerry - Sep 5, 2010 at 12:22 AM