Gallup starts transition to cornerback

Aug 11, 2010, 12:40 PM EST

With a depth chart only two players deep, the inevitable move of an offensive player into the defensive backfield was just a matter of time. And while many expected one of the freshman wide receivers to begin the transition process, it was one of the oldest members of the team making the move to the defensive backfield.

Barry Gallup spent the morning practice today with the defensive backs, likely auditioning for a supporting role in the secondary, where each position only has one primary back-up on scholarship. The move shouldn’t come as a surprise, Gallup was an interesting choice to receive a fifth-year, having played sparingly throughout his career. He was recruited as a jack-of-all trades football player out of high school and it’s likely that versatility was one of the reasons he came back for a final season.

A simple look at the roster shows the need to balance the depth chart on both sides of the ball, and while it’s clearly a stop-gap solution, Gallup was probably the best candidate, especially after hearing early reports on the fine play of freshman Bennett Jackson and Austin Collinsworth. From there, the options seemed limited, with Roby Toma too short, freshman Daniel Smith too large, and TJ Jones already competing for a starting job with Theo Riddick.

The Irish already tried to transition a player across the line of scrimmage this fall with Lane Clelland working with the defensive ends before finishing the spring back at offensive tackle.

1. JP - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I’m glad to see Gallup worked into the defense. I liked his return skills last year and I agree that he is a can-do-everything athlete. This should be a good fit for him. While the coaches are at it, they should send Deion Walker over to the secondary as well. He’s done less in his career than players even younger than him and I have no idea how he works himself into the depth chart…the WR position should look something like this: Floyd/Evans, Jones/Kamara, Goodman/Riddick. Floyd is obvious, Evans needs more time, Jones is ready, Kamara SUCKS but is big, Goodman is awesome, and Riddick is unproven.
    On a side note, I’m really excited to see Smith and Collinsworth play. I’ve heard a lot about them and if Austin is anything like his dad, he should be great.
    p.s. As I’ve been saying all along, keep an eye out for the following “sleeper players” to make an impact soon: Zeke Motta and Dan Fox. Those two are awesome.

2. jonas - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM

kumara sucks?
    get a fn clue

3. jarious - Aug 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Gallup was my first thought, figure he will get looks at corner and safety, but mainly be safety depth and allow Jamoris to slide back to corner should some injuries occur. Probably not the end of the movement, but may buy time until Banks gets his situation square.

4. terry - Aug 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I was naive enough to hope that a site such as this might be immune from such verbal attacks (from the anonymity/SAFETY of cyberspace) as that launched by a person known only by the cryptic name ‘JP’.
    Alas, I was hoping for too much
    sigh

5. ndftbl - Aug 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

why are zeke motta and dan smith considered “sleeper players?”
    hasn’t everyone pretty much recognized their emerging talent?

6. JP - Aug 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Man I love debating. This is gonna be fun…
    Jonas,
    Give me ONE reason why Kamara is any good. I’m seriously curious. Because that guy hasn’t had a productive season since his freshman year. I specifically remember him dropping MULTIPLE passes last year, one that cost ND the W.
    Jarious,
    Good call on how they will move personnel around. I agree.
    Terry,
    Blogs are meant for debate and personal opinion. So yes, you are naive. And if my “anonymity” bothers you so much, I’ll be at the season opener and would be more than happy to “express my opinion” face to face. Idiot.
    ndftbl,
    I consider them sleeper players because I haven’t seen any articles about either of them on any ND-oriented site since they arrived on the team. Sure they are mentioned occasionally along with the defensive unit, but they aren’t listed as high on the depth chart as I feel they should be.
    Look guys…I didn’t post that to pick a fight with anyone. I genually am interested in other people’s opinions on the topic. So if you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to add to the conversation, then great. If not, “Alas” your way somewhere else.

7. V-Man - Aug 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Not sure that I would say Kamara sucks just yet – but I think it’s pretty clear that, given his talent / body, he’s had a very disappointing career up to this point. Now, if he comes with Maurice Stovall-like senior year, that would go a long way towards changing / improving his legacy. If that doesn’t happen, then I’d agree with JP – his career will have sucked.
    Not really sure why it’s clear that Goodman is “awesome”. Feel like he’s done little to prove that statement true.
    Zeke Motta was definitely a big time recruit so I’d agree that it’s hard to call him a “sleeper.” Had great offers to play both safety and linebacker from various schools including his home state Gators and others that have played far better D than the Irish in recent history or at least had far better athletes on D (FSU, Auburn, UNC, etc) . If he doesn’t end up being an excellent strong safety (probably next year), then he will certainly have underachieved.

8. terry - Aug 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM

JP – apparently it is asking too much of you to keep the conversation at a civil level.
    That’s your problem, not mine.
    Debate and personal opinion – fine. You want to meet me at the first game and confront me? Cool – I’m 66+ years old, I listened to the USC game in 1966 on a shortwave radio in the mideast – I spent 3+ years defending your right to shoot your mouth off in the anonymity of cyberspace.
    You want to confront someone? Fine – when you go to the Purdue game and you think Kamara sucks – tell him that to his face.
    One more thing – I live in Maine and I will be watching the game on TV. Moon me if you want to