More on Shaq Evans transfer

Aug 31, 2010, 1:51 PM EST

Brian Kelly met with the media after his press conference to discuss the Shaquelle Evans transfer, here’s a bit more of what he said:

“He came in yesterday and informed me that he had made a decision,” Kelly said. “This was not a two-way conversation, this was a one-way conversation.”

The lack of dialogue in the conversation was apparently Kelly’s choice.

“I am not really good at talking anybody out of staying with a football
team,” Kelly said. “I’ll point out some things I think it’s important to
point out. But I don’t know that my role is to talk somebody out of
quitting, but maybe point out, have you considered this?

“I always
will say, have you talked to your family? What are your family’s
thoughts on this? If they haven’t talked to their family, that’s a red
flag for me. he said he did, he talked to his family about it, and
that’s why we wish him the best.”

It’s easy to guess why Evans wanted to transfer, especially after falling behind on the slot receiver position as well as finding John Goodman, TJ Jones, Michael Floyd and Duval Kamara ahead of him. That said, Kamara and possibly Floyd could be gone next year, and Evans seemed to be coming along nicely.

“We were happy with his development,” Kelly said. “He was moving in the
right direction. It was going to take a little bit longer, and sometimes
that’s the difference today when we’re in a society of, I want it now, I
gotta have it now.

“I’m disappointed anytime we lose a player that we’ve invested a lotof time and effort with,” Kelly continued. “We’ve coached him, we spent a lot of time on his development, Coach Longo all summer. Anytime you lose a player, there’s a disappointment that it didn’t work out… I’ve been doing it for 20 years and anytime a player leaves, it’s disappointing.”

I could only imagine it to be even more disappointing five days before the season’s opening game.

1. #1irishfan - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Well I truly hate to lose someone with the ability to become a top notch player, but these things will happen when you’ve been fawned over and coddled your entire career! Now we can get our first look at how Kelly deals with Notre Dame ADVERSITY. GO IRISH!!! BEAT PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!

2. Art Vandelay - Aug 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I’m excited to see Jones play….he’s got to be a special talent to beat out a senior, although that senior was Duval “Meathooks” Kamara. Also, I want to see Riddick in the slot and Rudolph at TE. Oh, and I haven’t even mentioned our pre-season AA Floyd. We have a bevy of fine receivers to watch this season and its no wonder Evans was getting overlooked. I’m getting the sense from reading articles about him that Evans was lacking some work ethic; I don’t know that to be the case, only an impression. It doesn’t seem BK was too anxious to get him to stay. Its a shame, he might have been good for us down the road when Floyd exits to the NFL. Well, best of luck to him at UCLA or Oregon or wherever he ends up.

3. terry - Sep 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Best of luck to the kid. He seems to have been homesick and that and the fact that he was falling in the depth chart, seems to have been the reason for his leaving. It just didn’t work out. There are many things that are much more important than ND winning football games, and Kelly seems to realize that.
    The kid is maybe 20 years old – cut him some slack.

4. Danny - Sep 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Cut him some slack? He isn’t a Kid anymore by the way. That is the problem, treating 18, 19 or 20 year olds like they are kids. He is a grown man. I was in the first Gulf War when I was 19. He was a high profile high school player and he seems like he doesn’t want to work for a spot. Don’t let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya. Would have been nice if he would have lived up to his potential at Notre Dame but he wants it his way and Kelly is building a team that does it the Notre Dame way, Not the Shaq way.
    Damn I am sick of people making excuses for these football players.

5. James - Sep 1, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Hopefully, this says more about the talent at that position than anything else. This kid was a four star recruit that all the big guns wanted. If he cant climb the depth chart, that says something about the rest of the WR corps.

6. ryan - Sep 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

As Holtz used to say, “it’s not a four year decision, it’s a forty year decision.” If you’re not cutting it at ND, you’re likely going to cut it in the NFL. Leaving ND and foregoing the opportunity to get a degree from a prestigious university so you can play football and maybe start somewhere else is short sighted. His parents should have advised him to stick it out. That degree is much more valuable than any playing time he’ll get somewhere else.

7. Canadian James - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Better he quit now, then act a like a quitter when we really need him. Grow up pal, if you wanna play, then play better.

8. Mike Dickeson - Sep 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Danny hi, I agree with you 100%! Instant gratification is a new age sickness, leads to spoiled babies. The team will be better off without him, even if he was only “home sick”. Speaking of that, I too was home sick when I was in the 1st PGW – - – I couldn’t just transfer – - -

9. #1irishfan formerly mikeford - Sep 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Grown man??? Really? So your telling us that when you where 20 yrs old you didn’t think that ‘YOU’ knew it all, only to actually get some experience as a ‘grown man’ and come to the reality that what you thought you knew you didn’t really know! (in my opinion) GO IRISH!!! KNOCK EM OUT!!!

10. #1irishfan formerly mikeford - Sep 4, 2010 at 8:51 AM

By the way, I agree with most everything else you said. GO IRISH!!! KNOCK EM OUT!!!