Aug 31, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
Brian Kelly just confirmed during his press conference that wide receiver Shaquelle Evans is no longer with the team.
“Shaq Evans is no longer with the team,” Kelly said. “We granted him a release and we wish him the best. He’s a good kid.”
The whispers had been growing the past few days that Evans was unhappy, and when the two-deep depth chart was released, it was widely suspected that Evans was out the door.
The Inglewood, California native walked onto campus one of the most promising skill position recruits of his class. He found the field early, and was targeted on a crucial 3rd down passing attempt against Michigan, but slipped as the out-pattern sailed past him incomplete. His playing time diminished after that game, though the coaching staff denied any issue with Evans’ effort.
Kelly didn’t seem to bat an eye when asked about Evans leaving, and it’s widely assumed he’ll head back to the West Coast and play for a Pac-10 program.
While not asked directly about Evans, Kelly was more than candid about competition.
“If you’re afraid of competition, maybe you shouldn’t come to Notre Dame,” Kelly said.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 30
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 102
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18