Aug 31, 2010, 12:13 PM EST
Brian Kelly just confirmed during his press conference that wide receiver Shaquelle Evans is no longer with the team.
“Shaq Evans is no longer with the team,” Kelly said. “We granted him a release and we wish him the best. He’s a good kid.”
The whispers had been growing the past few days that Evans was unhappy, and when the two-deep depth chart was released, it was widely suspected that Evans was out the door.
The Inglewood, California native walked onto campus one of the most promising skill position recruits of his class. He found the field early, and was targeted on a crucial 3rd down passing attempt against Michigan, but slipped as the out-pattern sailed past him incomplete. His playing time diminished after that game, though the coaching staff denied any issue with Evans’ effort.
Kelly didn’t seem to bat an eye when asked about Evans leaving, and it’s widely assumed he’ll head back to the West Coast and play for a Pac-10 program.
While not asked directly about Evans, Kelly was more than candid about competition.
“If you’re afraid of competition, maybe you shouldn’t come to Notre Dame,” Kelly said.
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 178
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94
- And in that corner… The Louisville Cardinal 52
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Northwestern 100
- Five things we learned: Northwestern 43, Notre Dame 40 233