Broadcast upgrades and online simulcasts new for 2010 season

Sep 1, 2010, 6:58 PM EDT

It may be the 20th season of NBC broadcasting Notre Dame football, but there are plenty of firsts coming this season, as NBC rolls out some cutting edge features for fans.

It was announced today that NBC will debut ActionCam, and overhead cable-camera system that’ll provide viewers with never-before-seen angles. It’s the same camera angle that was successfully tested during the Blue and Gold game this spring.

Also, in addition to digital and mobile features like applications for the iPhone and iPad, NBC Sports has reached an international agreement with Eurosport to broadcast games in Europe and Asia. While that’ll help Notre Dame fans all around the globe see the Irish play, NBCSports.com will also be live-streaming a simulcast of the network broadcast as well as one additional online-only bonus camera throughout the game.

From the official press release:

For the first time, the entire Notre Dame-NBC Sports schedule will be streamed live on NBCSports.com. “Notre Dame Extra” will feature a simulcast of the broadcast feed plus one additional online-only bonus camera throughout the game.

“Notre Dame Extra will employ a full HD-quality player using Microsoft Silverlight and Smooth Streaming that will help set new benchmarks for live streaming video cross-platform. The video player will include full DVR functionality allowing the user to pause and scroll back-and-forth — even review replays in “slo-mo” — all while watching live video.

Extra will also feature live coverage of the Notre Dame and visiting teams’ bands at halftime, in-game highlights, as well as a live, online-only postgame that will include head coach Brian Kelly’s press conference.

Here’s a basic translation: Best deal ever.

For those of you that will be working, or say… sitting in the press box, following the game online, with full DVR functionality will be incredible. It’ll also make for a less frenetic pace to the game day live-blog, so I can actually give you guys some decent analysis instead of screaming to figure out where the ball is spotted.

Hopefully those of you that depend on the internet for a live-feed of the game will set up a small window on their screen to follow the liveblog as well, because rest assured fans, I’ll still be pounding the keys during games, giving you every bit of insight I can give.

1. piratey - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Now you’ll get to experience Tom Hammond like the rest of us…Try not to fall asleep through his play by play… =]
    In all seriousness, I am glad NBC is going to be giving ND the star treatment we kinda deserve.(we are their exclusive CFB team after all) I plan on having two TVs setup in my man cave, the ND big screen with ND and the 20inch with Meatchicken/UConn game. The looks on RR’s face when Meatchicken is losing will be priceless.

2. Greenman - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM

In a semi-unrelated note, I wanted to take a moment to compliment Keith for all the great work on what has become my new go-to ND blog. As a Blue-Gray Sky refugee left to wander the internet ether its nice to find a place to once again hang my hat on reasoned and insightful coverage of ND football.
    So cheers Keith – keep up the good work and I look forward to reading your blog once we finally have games to analyze.
    Go Irish – Beat Boilermakers!

3. ND54 - Sep 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Great news! I’m an alum/former player who recently moved to South Korea for my Army assignment, so this development has got me stoked! Now if we could only get Tony Roberts back in the play-by-play saddle….

4. Stan - Sep 2, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Will the online “Notre Dame Extra”stream be availible overseas, particularly Europe? I would love to be able to watch the Irish live on my laptop.

5. jeremy - Sep 2, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Is there an app for the I-phone 3Gs that will let me watch the game while I’m at a friggin’ wedding this Saturday? The NBC ND app from last years appears defunct…..

6. profjoe - Sep 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM

From the press release: “The iPhone update for the 2010 season will be available prior to the September 4 season opener against Purdue, with an iPad-specific version to come later in the season.” The “defunct” app will apparantly be “refunct” :)

7. PF - Sep 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Massive ND fan over here in Ireland so delighted to get the above news. Just went into the Eurosport website to check their schedule for Sat and Sun and there is no sign that either Eurosport 1 or 2 is showing the game – would anyone be able to clarify this one for me?? If its not on Eurosport where do you get the link to view it on the laptop live?? Thanks.
    Great updates as always Keith and thanks to NBC for getting the games out there, can’t wait for Sat’s game, just hope I get to see it!!

8. Jeff - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM

The Notre Dame Central iPhone app has been updated. I just downloaded the upgrade and it’s working perfectly.

9. Brad - Sep 2, 2010 at 5:50 PM

What about the Droid platform?
    You can’t be just be making this for the Iphone?

10. Dan Lafferty - Sep 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Tom Hammond is HORRIBLE! This will be the only thing I won’t look forward to on Saturday.

11. james hill - Sep 3, 2010 at 5:20 AM

ND54 what area are you in? I am at Yongsan and would love to have a gamewatcg with a fellow Domer.

12. Mike - Sep 3, 2010 at 6:09 AM

I can’t find any mention of “Notre Dame Extra” anywhere on nbcsports.com except for this blog post. Eurosport is not showing the Purdue game live, so for me and many expats the webcast will be the only way — but how? where? and how much?
    For the last few years I could only watch away games thanks to ESPN 360 web simulcasts. About time NBC joined the modern world.
    But, who can point me to more than the press release? Why isn’t NBC even advertising it on ND Central?

13. Tadhg - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

There are three of us here in Galway as well who are just dying to know where and when we might be able to watch the Irish home games live- either on Eurosport or this NBC simulcast thing. Anyone with the facts, please step forward!

14. Mike - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM

“Notre Dame Extra” will be a welcome addition to Fighting Irish Football and NBC Sports this season. Thanks for taking the ND broadcast to the next level and looking forward to tuning in!
    GO IRISH!

15. Rufus - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Keith Arnold, could you please inquire if the Notre Dame Extra simulcast will be availible in Europe. I am dying to know if I will be able to watch the lads come charging out that tunnel on my laptop in Amsterdam.
    Please let it be so!!

16. Joe Metz - Sep 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Help! Stuck in Paris and I want to watch the game. I don’t see any links on NBCSports. I want to test this out before game time. I’d hate to be downloading and debugging setups for the whole first half.

17. Mike - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM

At last the link is here, but… ACCESS DENIED MY AREA! Aaaaeerrghhh! And Eurosport2 is only showing the Purdue game in re-cap next Friday and then again just before Michigan next Saturday. Well Expats, it’s back to all the plans B of yesteryears for one more home game. (For a few years already all of our away games have been available on legit pay-for-view thanks to other broadcasters making international versions of their online services available. When will NBC follow suit?)

18. Tommy - Sep 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Why in God’s name won’t NBC allow me to watch the live streaming video of the game from here in Ireland? I just can’t think of any
    reason whatsoever that denies me one of lifes simple pleasures. This is an absolute disgrace.

19. Ted - Sep 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM

This is going to be awesome!! GO IRISH!

20. phillip - Sep 4, 2010 at 11:23 AM

just click on link and watch now button

21. John - Sep 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

according to the press release, the game should be live on my mobile phone here in the US
    LIVE MOBILE BROADCASTS: NBC Sports live coverage of every Notre Dame home football game is available on both NBC 2Go and NBC Sports Mobile.
    But I don’t see any mention of it when I go to NBCSports Mobile and the game starts in 60 minutes

22. patrick Connors - Sep 4, 2010 at 5:53 PM

in london and my access is denied. why are they doing this? thought the point was to make the game available to people.

23. ttctharvey - Sep 5, 2010 at 5:43 AM

AAAARRRGGHHHHHHH!
    Let the simulcast come to Europe. This is criminal NBC.

24. Scott - Sep 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Ah, the ultimate tease. Last night I was sitting here in Warsaw prepped for the ND opener and amped up for the online broadcast. Any idea if this is going to change in the near future or if there are any other avenues for ND fans abroad?

25. Duane - Sep 6, 2010 at 3:46 AM

PLEASE NBC add international webcasts for the Michigan game! Listening to the web radio broadcasts is bringing me back to my childhood but how do I get my kids excited about ND football in this day and age if you don’t give them a visual!?