Sep 2, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Even though Nick Tausch set a school-record with 14 straight field goals last season, that wasn’t enough too hold off walk-on kicker David Ruffer, who won the starting job for the opener against Purdue this Saturday.
“Ruffer is going to start as our kicker,” Kelly said this afternoon. “We felt he had a great week. The ball comes off his foot really well, so he’s earned that stating position. That’s a change in the depth chart from what you saw.”
Ruffer transferred to Notre Dame from William & Mary two years ago and was pulled off the intramural field by former head coach Charlie Weis. Filling in for an injured Tausch last year, he made all five field goals he attempted last year.
Ruffer will handle both kick offs and field goal attempts.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 47
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 108
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93