Sep 2, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Even though Nick Tausch set a school-record with 14 straight field goals last season, that wasn’t enough too hold off walk-on kicker David Ruffer, who won the starting job for the opener against Purdue this Saturday.
“Ruffer is going to start as our kicker,” Kelly said this afternoon. “We felt he had a great week. The ball comes off his foot really well, so he’s earned that stating position. That’s a change in the depth chart from what you saw.”
Ruffer transferred to Notre Dame from William & Mary two years ago and was pulled off the intramural field by former head coach Charlie Weis. Filling in for an injured Tausch last year, he made all five field goals he attempted last year.
Ruffer will handle both kick offs and field goal attempts.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56