Sep 2, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Even though Nick Tausch set a school-record with 14 straight field goals last season, that wasn’t enough too hold off walk-on kicker David Ruffer, who won the starting job for the opener against Purdue this Saturday.
“Ruffer is going to start as our kicker,” Kelly said this afternoon. “We felt he had a great week. The ball comes off his foot really well, so he’s earned that stating position. That’s a change in the depth chart from what you saw.”
Ruffer transferred to Notre Dame from William & Mary two years ago and was pulled off the intramural field by former head coach Charlie Weis. Filling in for an injured Tausch last year, he made all five field goals he attempted last year.
Ruffer will handle both kick offs and field goal attempts.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172