Sep 2, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Even though Nick Tausch set a school-record with 14 straight field goals last season, that wasn’t enough too hold off walk-on kicker David Ruffer, who won the starting job for the opener against Purdue this Saturday.
“Ruffer is going to start as our kicker,” Kelly said this afternoon. “We felt he had a great week. The ball comes off his foot really well, so he’s earned that stating position. That’s a change in the depth chart from what you saw.”
Ruffer transferred to Notre Dame from William & Mary two years ago and was pulled off the intramural field by former head coach Charlie Weis. Filling in for an injured Tausch last year, he made all five field goals he attempted last year.
Ruffer will handle both kick offs and field goal attempts.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 129
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69