Sep 8, 2010, 7:51 PM EDT
Scary news after practice today from Brian Kelly, who announced that center Dan Wenger is recovering from another concussion, the second in three weeks, and an injury that clouds his future in football.
“He’s had these concussions and we’re going to have to make a decision as to whether we can put him back on the field,” Kelly said. “He’s out right now. He had another concussion so that’s his second concussion in three weeks. That’s a decision that our medical team is looking at right now. Dan and his family are involved in that decision.
“Dan and I had a long conversation today. We’re going to have to make a decision as to whether or not we can put him back on the field. We’re really hesitant to do that right now.”
There’s no injury scarier than concussions and I’m happy that Kelly and the medical staff are taking this seriously. Wenger discussed earlier in fall camp that his brothers and family have concussions in their medical history, and it’s something that he was taking seriously then, and most definitely will be taking serious now.
While it’d be a shame if injuries derailed the final season of Dan’s career after they played such a significant part over the past four years, being able to walk away from the game without some of the lingering effects of concussions is a much better scenario than hitting the field and putting yourself in greater danger.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 129
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69