Sep 8, 2010, 7:51 PM EDT
Scary news after practice today from Brian Kelly, who announced that center Dan Wenger is recovering from another concussion, the second in three weeks, and an injury that clouds his future in football.
“He’s had these concussions and we’re going to have to make a decision as to whether we can put him back on the field,” Kelly said. “He’s out right now. He had another concussion so that’s his second concussion in three weeks. That’s a decision that our medical team is looking at right now. Dan and his family are involved in that decision.
“Dan and I had a long conversation today. We’re going to have to make a decision as to whether or not we can put him back on the field. We’re really hesitant to do that right now.”
There’s no injury scarier than concussions and I’m happy that Kelly and the medical staff are taking this seriously. Wenger discussed earlier in fall camp that his brothers and family have concussions in their medical history, and it’s something that he was taking seriously then, and most definitely will be taking serious now.
While it’d be a shame if injuries derailed the final season of Dan’s career after they played such a significant part over the past four years, being able to walk away from the game without some of the lingering effects of concussions is a much better scenario than hitting the field and putting yourself in greater danger.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (95)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)