Irish land another blue-chipper in DE Stephon Tuitt

Sep 15, 2010, 9:36 PM EDT

Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune is reporting that Brian Kelly and company received a gigantic commitment this evening from another blue-chip defensive end, Georgia-native Stephon Tuitt.

His commitment gives the Irish arguably the best one-two recruiting punch at defensive end in the country with Tuitt joining Aaron Lynch as two national, mega-prospects. Add in Fort Wayne’s Tony Springmann and Dublin Coffman’s Brad Carrico, Kelly will be bringing in four prototype 3-4 defensive ends, something that was critical to the recruiting class this year.

Tuitt was blown away by his visit to South Bend this weekend, telling AJC.com:

“I didn’t expect the visit to go so well. It went really well. I saw things I never thought I’d see. Just looking at the campus and seeing all the history was great.”

That his mom loved Notre Dame only added to the sales pitch. Tuitt had scholarship offers from most of the SEC, and other national choices as well. With an impressive recruiting week, the Irish now have 19 verbal commitments, and the bus is pretty close to being full.

1. TLNDMA - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Rivals #1 strongside DE and #26 overall player. Two months ago this kid was a pipedream. Kelly and staff doing cartwheels on this one I bet.

2. BrianM - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Kelly and staff aren’t the only ones doing cartwheels on this one.
    WOOOOOOOO!

3. terry - Sep 16, 2010 at 7:39 AM

outstanding

4. Tradertrik - Sep 16, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Nice to see that Kelly is aggressively recruiting defensive players. A great departure from the last five or so recruiting efforts. Go Irish!!!!!

5. Joe - Sep 16, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I really like how Kelly’s able to get these guys to commit early, allowing them to focus more on coaching. If signing day was today, I’d be stoked. Knowing they still have time to reel in Wayne Lyons, Antonio Richardson, Davaris Daniels and maybe even Ishaq Williams…i’m beyond stoked.
    Nice work ND! Considering the Atkinson duo they go, the Michigan loss is turning into quite a win!

6. jimbasil - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM

That’s terrific.
    OFF Topic – FYI NBC Sports.
    I really dislike this new look set up by NBC Sports. Getting used to searching around for things and getting re-accustomed to the pages is all well and good – I just really dislike being here now; it’s a real turn-off. I feel as though I’m in someone’s dark dungeon. It’s depressing to come to this site now.

7. Michael Maisonneuve - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Change of Pace: How is Louis Nix doing in regards to getting in game shape etc. D could use him if he is ready.

8. Ray McConaghy - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Of the 84 top-100 prospects who come from one of 18 warm-weather states, only five have committed so far to cold-weather schools. Four of those five have committed to Notre Dame. Last February, of the 77 top-100 prospects who came from one of 18 warm-weather states, only two committed to cold-weather schools, one of which was Notre Dame. More at http://www.ndfantofan.com. All are invited.

9. terry - Sep 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Now that the kool-aid has worn off I must admit that this will take a few years. The defense was fine Saturday, but Robinson is from another planet and he will leave a lot of defensive players grabbing air this year.
    I found the fact that a 6’6″ 265 tight end could outrun a defensive back for a TD rather encouraging.
    Kelly was the right hire, he’s done all the right things, said all the right things, and he is also a darn good recruiter. The future looks bright.
    ND 28 Moo-U 20.