Sep 15, 2010, 9:36 PM EST
Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune is reporting that Brian Kelly and company received a gigantic commitment this evening from another blue-chip defensive end, Georgia-native Stephon Tuitt.
His commitment gives the Irish arguably the best one-two recruiting punch at defensive end in the country with Tuitt joining Aaron Lynch as two national, mega-prospects. Add in Fort Wayne’s Tony Springmann and Dublin Coffman’s Brad Carrico, Kelly will be bringing in four prototype 3-4 defensive ends, something that was critical to the recruiting class this year.
Tuitt was blown away by his visit to South Bend this weekend, telling AJC.com:
“I didn’t expect the visit to go so well. It went really well. I saw things I never thought I’d see. Just looking at the campus and seeing all the history was great.”
That his mom loved Notre Dame only added to the sales pitch. Tuitt had scholarship offers from most of the SEC, and other national choices as well. With an impressive recruiting week, the Irish now have 19 verbal commitments, and the bus is pretty close to being full.
- Golson returns to the practice field 20
- Spring Solutions: Wide receivers and tight ends 23
- Cody Riggs officially joins the Irish 39
- Academic casualties proof that foundation at Notre Dame remains 120
- Irish succeed with 2014 class, even against the odds 121
- Notre Dame announces Campus Crossroads Project 39