Live Blog: Notre Dame vs. Michigan State

Sep 18, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT

<a href=”http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php/option=com_mobile/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=42263aa22c” >Notre Dame vs. Michigan State</a>
  1. vegasmark - Sep 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM

GO IRISH…BEAT SPARTY!!!!

2. Jennifer - Sep 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Oh, yeah! It’s KICK-OFF TIME! Go Irish!

3. #1irishfan - Sep 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Who are game day captains???

4. SpankMonkey - Sep 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Its been a good game so far
    Real good defense
    I think anyone can win
    Should be a good finish
    How could it be any closer
    Sure hope the second half is as good
    Unless one team goes crazy
    Can’t wait for the second half
    Keep up the good work both teams

5. Michael Maisonneuve - Sep 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

The wheels started to come off the wagon when Floyd fumbled again. He does not seem to be in the game and Crist is not helping at the end of the first half.

6. FightinMad35 - Sep 18, 2010 at 11:55 PM

wow.. 46 yard field goal and you don’t even suspect a trick play?? it would have been a great kick regardless, so make em make the kick.. be prepared for anything. BK’s magic from Cinci just isn’t working here yet..if you can’t play defense then you simply can’t win. Our team, ND, can’t stop anybody thus the reason we can’t win..

7. Mediocrity ensues - Sep 18, 2010 at 11:56 PM

The play clock had expired by the time Michigan State snapped the ball. That touchdown should not have counted. Did anyone else see that?

8. tracy - Sep 18, 2010 at 11:58 PM

I’ve been a Notre Dame fan since i was a kid. This is absolutely ridiculous! Can anyone other than Teo play defense?

9. PeterF - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Coach got outcoached. Should have called time-out to ice the kicker. May not have helped but maybe see somenthing in the lineup. 3-9 season on tap. Defense couldn’t stop a leaky toilet. Crist can’t handle pressure. No running game. Floyd needs to stop reading Sporting News All American press clippings and concentrate on the football in the air. Stop crying about DB’s making contact. Right now, he doesn’t rate a draft pick.

10. #1irishfan - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I PERSONALLY AM NOT UPSET WITH THIS LOSS AT ALL. I SEE HOW MUCH WE HAVE CHANGED AND I LOVE OUR TEAM AND OUR INSPIRATION AND CAN THINK OF NOTHING OTHER THAN lou! SWEET LIL OLD LOU……..86′ HE CHANGED US AND WE BECAME ANOTHER TEAM WE COULD BEAT ALL THESE TEAMS WE JUST HAVE TO CARRY THE BURDEN OF HUMILITY TO SEE AND FEEL HOW PRECIOUS OR CHAMPIONSHIP SHALL BE!

11. Mediocrity ensues - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Seriously…the play clock. It had expired. It was zero for, at least, a full second. Maybe longer. Am I seeing things. Come on guys. I’m calling shenanigans on that play.

12. FightinMad35 - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:05 AM

PeterF, at least this means Floyd will be back next year!! Being the eternal ND fan I am, I’m thinking about NEXT YEAR..LOL.. He’s not playing worthy of entering the draft early unless he wants to follow Jimmy and Golden’s path and be a second round pick. Crist played a good game but his inexperience in crucial situations showed today. I’m already looking forward to next season. BK isn’t going to give me anything CW didn’t the past few seasons.

13. jerry gentemann - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Looks bad…Still NO D!!!!
    All of my friends could feel the fake was coming why can’t we?

14. Ben - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I also thought play clock expired…
    Oh well. Should have played a cover formation.

15. Peter F - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM

FightinMad35, too early to have to be thinking about next year, isn’t that the REAL shame??? I got tickets to the Navy ND game in the New Meadowlands. It’s beginning to look like a waste of money, huh?

16. Chauncey - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM

We got jew’d like usual. clock was at 00 long enough to notice i was watching the clock once it turned red. Should of been called no matter what, #22 harrison got tackled trying to play defence and there was no call there either. Go figure.

17. FightinMad35 - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Our defense on the edges is horrible. All you have to do is run outside and you will get positive yards. I can’t understand why the more athletic Steve Filer isn’t on the field than say a Brian Smith or Neal. Filer is fast enough to play the boundary. Motta’s inexperience finally caught up to us an hurt us big time tonight. Darrin let me down again in coverage. He should be better, more disciplined. ND hasn’t played decent defense since the 3-9 season. At least that year we had a few 3 and outs. Until the defense can man up, we will continue to be mad about losses that should have been wins… *sighs* better luck next week.

18. PeterF - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM

To FightinMad35: The REAL shame is you’re thinking already about next year. I got tickets to the Navy game in NJ. Starting to look like a waste of money.
    To jerrygenteman: It starts with the defensive line which up until tonight was I thought a strenght. The corners play too soft. Safty play is better than last year. At least not too many deep plays down the middle.

19. Chauncey - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM

The ND Corners had another decent game, grey and walls held it down pretty good. Brian smith plays just fine but neal to me has always been abit suspect, but no problems with T’eo hes a monster just like hes supposed to be. If we can get passed Stanford and USC will only have these to loses to the michigan schools and will play someone like oklahoma or miami in a bowl game.

20. PeterF - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Next week will be another beating at the hands of Stanford and BC the following week. Andrew Luck will pick apart the ND secondary. Gearhardt graduated and so did the running game.

21. FightinMad35 - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM

can’t help but think about next year. The schedule doesn’t get any easier. Pittsburgh and Deion Lewis. Can’t see us stopping him. Stanford we have chance because they don’t have a strong run game. Utah, USC.. that’s 7-5 with a weak bowl game if we’re lucky…Looking at BK’s recruiting class this year and I see a premium on defensive lineman commits thus far. Great. But they won’t show until 2 years from now. So until then what? We continue to lose games because we offer no resistance up front and we play wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to soft a coverage. unbelievable. I’m finding it very hard to be positive about ND football and I’ve been a fan since I’ve been alive.

22. PeterF - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Chauncy, the only bowl ND will see is the wassail bowl, full of Egg Nog. No post season again this year. The only thing we can look forward to is sound bites from the coach from January to the opening of camp in August 2011.

23. Mr. Salsa - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I can’t help but think that the ineptitude of our receivers and outside linebackers comes from the fact that their respective coaches are first years coaching that position. Tony Alford, although a great recruiter is not a good position coach. I don’t know about Kerry Cooks, but he doesn’t seem very good to me either…

24. Dayton - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I hear what you guys are saying about Coach Kelly and the fact that he hasn’t improved this Fighting Irish program at all over Charlie Weiss. This year is nearly identical to the previous two years, especially last year. Lots of close games, too many close losses, below-average defense, the inability to close out a quality opponent, etc. I gotta admit, this year reeks of 2009; I don’t think we’ll see much of a difference between now and that end of the season. The Irish challenge teams with more talent and higher rankings than them. They might even get to the point of being on the verge of beating a Stanford or USC, but they’ll probably lose while keeping it a close game. They’ll also play down to inferior opponents like the last couple of years (see Syracuse, UCONN). I have a feeling that this will happen because, as I said, I don’t see much of a difference in this Irish team from last year’s. But I do want to postulate a question to you guys (and girls who are also blogging). With Brian Kelly’s track record, how could the Irish not improve? I know that Crist has very limited experience, but look at what Kelly did with Collaros (misspelled?) last year. The guy filled in wonderfully for Pike. Nowadays, Collaros is not very good. You would think that the drop-off in Cincy had to be because Kelly isn’t there anymore. I mean, the guy had two straight undefeated seasons in Cincinnati. That doesn’t come along very often. The last time the Irish had an undefeated season, they won the national championship. I don’t know. Maybe I’m naive, but I just don’t get it. How could the Irish look like the exact same team as last year with a proven winner like Kelly? Is it because, for two years in a row, Cincy played nothing but cream puffs? Is Notre Dame’s schedule that much more daunting than Cincinatti’s? If yes, then I can see why he wouldn’t be as successful here. But I don’t know, the Irish lost to Pitt and I know that Cincy beat them. Does anyone know who Cincinnati played the last two seasons? Fill me in guys. I guess, my point is this: If Brian Kelly is a winner (which he has proven over multiple coaching stops), and ND’s schedule is comparable to Cincy’s, then why can’t he win at ND? He has more talent at ND. He has probably beaten better teams than MSU’s with less talent. The only thing that I can think of is that Notre Dame football is somehow cursed. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I just can’t rationalize this. Good talent, good coach, same results. I appreciate any feedback you guys could give me. And, oh yeah, go Irish!

25. Dave H - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:37 AM

This is not really surprising. ND has the mental toughness of a 3 year old. A new coach cannot change this. The culture around this program needs to change and i don’t think BK has the talent or experience to do this.