Oct 7, 2010, 6:11 PM EDT
As many suspected, Brian Kelly announced that senior center Dan Wenger was ruled out for the season after suffering multiple concussions. Wenger had been out since before the Purdue game after he suffered two concussions during preseason camp.
Kelly was adamant that Wenger is still very much a part of the football team and has been spending time with mentoring underclassmen, providing a “student assistant angle” to guys like Chris Watt. Kelly revealed yesterday that Wenger had met with specialists at the University of Michigan to determine whether or not he’d be cleared to return to play.
Notre Dame and Wenger will explore the idea of a 6th year for Wenger, who has battled injuries since he arrived in South Bend, though no decision has been made yet.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 47
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 108
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93