Oct 25, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Both Joe Schad of ESPN and Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune are reporting that Ian Williams has a torn MCL and will miss approximately 4-6 weeks, putting his availability for the rest of the regular season in doubt.
While the loss is undoubtedly a killer for an Irish defense that just played its worst game of the season, the knee injury is actually better news than I was expecting. Depending on the severity of the MCL tear, Williams might not even need surgery to repair it, and the long-term prognosis for the senior defensive tackle shouldn’t be effected.
Williams is leading defensive linemen with 37 stops, and has seen his NFL draft stock rise during his senior season.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 66
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 109
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93