Oct 25, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Both Joe Schad of ESPN and Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune are reporting that Ian Williams has a torn MCL and will miss approximately 4-6 weeks, putting his availability for the rest of the regular season in doubt.
While the loss is undoubtedly a killer for an Irish defense that just played its worst game of the season, the knee injury is actually better news than I was expecting. Depending on the severity of the MCL tear, Williams might not even need surgery to repair it, and the long-term prognosis for the senior defensive tackle shouldn’t be effected.
Williams is leading defensive linemen with 37 stops, and has seen his NFL draft stock rise during his senior season.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 41
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64