Oct 25, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Both Joe Schad of ESPN and Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune are reporting that Ian Williams has a torn MCL and will miss approximately 4-6 weeks, putting his availability for the rest of the regular season in doubt.
While the loss is undoubtedly a killer for an Irish defense that just played its worst game of the season, the knee injury is actually better news than I was expecting. Depending on the severity of the MCL tear, Williams might not even need surgery to repair it, and the long-term prognosis for the senior defensive tackle shouldn’t be effected.
Williams is leading defensive linemen with 37 stops, and has seen his NFL draft stock rise during his senior season.
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Florida State 102
- Five things we learned: Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 159
- Pregame Six Pack: Showdown with the Seminoles 90
- And in that corner… The Florida State Seminoles 31
- DaVaris Daniels done at Notre Dame 71
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. North Carolina 71