Oct 25, 2010, 9:51 PM EST
Both Joe Schad of ESPN and Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune are reporting that Ian Williams has a torn MCL and will miss approximately 4-6 weeks, putting his availability for the rest of the regular season in doubt.
While the loss is undoubtedly a killer for an Irish defense that just played its worst game of the season, the knee injury is actually better news than I was expecting. Depending on the severity of the MCL tear, Williams might not even need surgery to repair it, and the long-term prognosis for the senior defensive tackle shouldn’t be effected.
Williams is leading defensive linemen with 37 stops, and has seen his NFL draft stock rise during his senior season.
- It’s official: Golson returns to Notre Dame 59
- Bob Diaco accepts the UConn head coaching job 117
- Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make 40
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140