Oct 27, 2010, 10:17 PM EDT
A special Mass of Remembrance has been planned for Notre Dame junior Declan Sullivan, a 20-year-old from Long Grove, Ill., who died while filming practice for the athletic department.
University president Rev. John Jenkins will preside over Mass, which will begin at 10 p.m. in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. He also sent an email to the entire student body Wednesday night.
“No words can convey the shock and grief we all are experiencing. Declan was a well-liked, bright and enthusiastic film and marketing student and a valued member of the Notre Dame family. His death is a tremendous loss that will be felt very deeply and we share in your grief during this incredibly difficult time,” Jenkins said.
Head football coach Brian Kelly also released a statement on the passing of Declan:
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to Declan’s family and friends. Declan was a diligent student worker in our video department and had a tremendous personality and great sense of humor. He brightened the days for all that had the privilege to work with him, and the Notre Dame football family will dearly miss him.”
While the cause of the accident is being investigated, Sullivan was atop a hydraulic scissorlift when the incident occurred, and winds were gusting well over 50 mph. He was transported to Memorial Hospital in South Bend where he later died.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 119
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69