Oct 27, 2010, 8:03 PM EDT
Terrible news out of South Bend, as a 20-year-old Notre Dame student died Wednesday afternoon when a video tower collapsed.
“We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss,” Notre Dame president Rev. John I. Jenkins said. “Our hearts go out to the student’s family and friends and our prayers and profound sympathies are with them during this incredibly difficult time. The loss of someone so young is a terrible shock and a great sadness. Our entire community shares in the family’s grief.”
The tower overlooked the fields of the LaBar Practice Complex, and while the cause of the accident isn’t known, winds gusted up to 50 miles per hour, according to National Weather Service reports.
The university isn’t releasing the name of the student until members of the family are notified. The University is making pastoral care and grief counseling available to students.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 0
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 104
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172