Oct 27, 2010, 8:03 PM EDT
Terrible news out of South Bend, as a 20-year-old Notre Dame student died Wednesday afternoon when a video tower collapsed.
“We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss,” Notre Dame president Rev. John I. Jenkins said. “Our hearts go out to the student’s family and friends and our prayers and profound sympathies are with them during this incredibly difficult time. The loss of someone so young is a terrible shock and a great sadness. Our entire community shares in the family’s grief.”
The tower overlooked the fields of the LaBar Practice Complex, and while the cause of the accident isn’t known, winds gusted up to 50 miles per hour, according to National Weather Service reports.
The university isn’t releasing the name of the student until members of the family are notified. The University is making pastoral care and grief counseling available to students.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 128
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69