Nov 15, 2010, 8:02 PM EST
(Or at least the Tallahassee Quarterback Club doesn’t think so.)
A year after Golden Tate won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s best wide receiver, Michael Floyd found himself on the outside looking in as the 10 semifinalists were announced today for the Biletnikoff Award by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club.
Here are the 2010 Biletnikoff Award Semifinalists:
Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma
Randall Cobb, Kentucky
Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M
A.J. Green, Georgia
Alshon Jeffrey, South Carolina
Julia Jones, Alabama
Aldrick Robinson, SMU
Greg Salas, Hawaii
Jordan White, Western Michigan
Floyd has 59 catches for 767 yards and 9 touchdowns this season, matching his number from an injury shortened season last year, but seeing his yards per catch average drop from 18.1 to 13 yards, no doubt the effect of a new quarterback and offensive system.
Floyd’s numbers are comparable to those put up by Cobb, Green, Jones, and Robinson, although Green missed some time due to NCAA suspension for selling a game-worn jersey to someone the NCAA classifed as an agent. (For what its worth, Blackmon is a semi-finalist even after getting arrested for DUI in the middle of the season.) One interesting name of note was Western Michigan’s Jordan White, who went head-to-head with Floyd in South Bend, putting up five catches for 55 yards in a 44-20 loss to the Irish where Floyd made 9 catches for 157 yards and three touchdowns.
Awards like this are ultimately meaningless, but Irish fans should hope that a slight like this is the motivation Floyd needs to return for his senior season and make a run at the Biletnikoff.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)