Green jerseys for Yankee Stadium

Nov 16, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

Notre Dame Green jersey

Brian Kelly just completed his weekly Tuesday press conference (we’ll cover it more in detail later), but the big news out of it was that the Irish are going to wear green jerseys on Saturday night.

(Since this post is devoid of any other information, how about a cool photo of Yankee Stadium mid transformation?)

Will the green jerseys give the Irish a Boise State like advantage? We’ll find out on Saturday night…

1. borromini - Nov 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

…Kelly green?

2. lawwolf - Nov 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM

NOOO!!!!!!!! When was the last time we won a game in our green jerseys? My late father is rolling over in his grave right now. He HATED it whenever they would pull this out. I guess on the bright side, it probably means they won’t be wearing them against USC, so maybe they can pull the upset a second time this season.

• domerdewan - Nov 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Yes, Charlie Weis had the team wear green jerseys for the last home game in 2006 against Army. This was Charlie’s way of saying thank you to that team on their Senior Day for their 4 years of service.

• fishergrl78 - Nov 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I’m with lawwolf….NOOOOOO! Thank god they won’t be wearing them against USC. I think they have a decent chance against the men of Troy although I thought that back during the ‘Bush-Push’ game too. What do I know I’m just a girl.

3. timjf825 - Nov 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Last time I remember this working was way back in the ’92 Sugar Bowl when ND beat Florida. But I’m having trouble remembering any time more recently they had a positive effect.

4. kevvy1231 - Nov 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM

There’s a difference between just showing up in the different jerseys versus planning ahead to wear them. It’s a marketing bit with whoever makes the jerseys, I’m sure. But either way, Notre Dame used to wear green all the time way back when. Wearing it now is no big deal.

5. bostonjan - Nov 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM

@lawwolf – I’m with you. I hate the green jerseys, even tho’ supposedly Rockne was the one to introduce them. I would have preferred seeing the team wear the very same uniforms in which we defeated Utah – perhaps not even washing them!!! Who says I’m superstitious??? Surely players and fans would never entertain such silly thoughts…..

However, it’s more important what the players think. Coach Kelly strikes me as having a good pulse for the players and what works best with their focus on the game. I commit to dispelling any UNBELIEF about the upcoming games – uniforms be dammed.

6. papadec - Nov 17, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I’m with lawwolf & bostonjan – I can’t remember when anything good came of wearing the green jerseys. But, if it helps the players repeat the Utah result – they can wear whatever it takes to win out. GO IRISH!!

7. ndfan82 - Nov 17, 2010 at 12:38 AM

We’re talking about the color of jerseys right? It’s not the color of jersey that helps them win or lose because if that was the case we would have changed the colors by now. Let’s hope the D can stop the run and worry about the colors of the jerseys after the game.

8. 9irish - Nov 17, 2010 at 1:53 AM

man, you are all a bunch of chicken littles about these green jerseys. They are not pulling the big surprise thing with them, that went out in 1977. The number one ranked team in the country has about 10 different psychedelic uniforms, what is wrong with ND wearing green jerseys once in awhile? Especially in Yankee Stadium, where they used to play Army wearing green jerseys quite often.

One thing I DON”T like about recent past green jerseys is that they have those shiny gold numbers on them..they should be white. That’s the way they were back in the day. they’re white on the blue, why not the green?

You have to remember, nobody wore white jerseys until the 1950s or so, and the Irish would wear Blue or Green depending on the contrast to the opposing team. Green is not a new concept

Go Irish

• domer77blowsgoats - Nov 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

9Irish has a point? What? You have got to be joking? The only “point” he has is for the former ND Receiver Coach, Urban Meyer, and even then that needs help from his little blue friend…

• 9irish - Nov 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM

that’s very poignant…no idea what you’re talking about, but good on you.

9. fishergrl78 - Nov 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Okay, female Irish fan must comment again- 9Irish has a point. I’m looking forward to playing Army again and in the new Yankee Stadium. I’m willing to give the Green jerseys a shot against a team other than USC.

GO IRISH!