Golson talks commitment

Dec 3, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT

everett-golson

Recent Notre Dame commit quarterback Everett Golson sat down with his hometown paper the Sun News to discuss his career and his future. It’s a great read for those Irish fans just getting to know Golson and also a great reminder of just how prolific Golson has been at quarterback.

A couple quick hits that should interest ND fans:

Q: What were the factors that ultimately led to your decision to rescind your commitment to North Carolina and commit to Notre Dame?

A: Just taking that visit up there [in November], going into it I didn’t know anything about Notre Dame. I went up there and saw the campus for myself, saw the beautiful historic buildings and everything, and building relationships with some of the guys up there. I really felt wanted by the players and the coaches and that’s not something you can say at every place.

The fans are crazy and they’re very loyal to their team. I really like the history of Notre Dame. I kind of grew up watching Rudy and that kind of attracted me a little bit too. Just to see the locker room, and see how it was on film. Academics are second to none, one of the most prestigious schools in the country, so you can’t really beat that.

Q: Right now you’re sixth all-time in the nation with 148 passing touchdowns.

You are just behind Greg Paulus in fifth, and you would have easily moved into the top-10 in yards passing and completions had you not missed the eight weeks this year. Are you disappointed you missed the eight games, and missed out on some opportunities to set some state records and move up in some national rankings?
A: Of course there’s that side of you that wishes you were there the whole season, but when I think of it as a whole it kind of bettered my team and brought us to this point playing for the state championship. Do I feel we could have made it to the state championship had I played? Yes. But I think them coming through that adversity really helped us in the long run.
After reading more on Golson in the past few weeks than I ever thought healthy, he reminds me an awful lot of Chris Leak, the former Florida quarterback who had a heralded prep career, only Golson has more athleticism. (And hopefully less baggage than the Leak brothers.)
Again, I wrote it earlier today in the recruiting breakdown, but when’s the last time you saw Notre Dame get in late on a recruit of this magnitude (throw stars out of it and look at his offer list) and actually seal the deal?
With Bubba Starling likely never setting foot on a college campus after he’s drafted professionally in baseball, the Golson signing is one reason to be very bullish on the Kelly regime’s recruiting skills.
(Let’s just worry about what they’ll do with all these quarterbacks later…)
  1. borromini - Dec 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM

The QB battle is going to be absolutely brutal this spring. I’ll predict that Nate Montana is pretty much done for his career as far as becoming a starter. I also don’t see Hendrix and Massa both staying through their career here…one of them will transfer and I’ll bet it’s Hendrix.

I know that sounds crazy, but Rees and Massa will be more open to being backups for Crist/Hendrix/Golson then any other combination. The only way Hendrix stays on is if Golson gets moved to the slot position along with taking snaps in Leprechaun formations (now that’s exciting!).

• gogolson - Dec 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM

`N.D. has a lot of new fans in Myrtle Beach SC and looking over the QB roster / statistics I did not see any of the current signal callers who have impressive passing credentials. Golson is a force and has excelled playing in the spread offense at every level so far. We marveled at his skills, I am not kidding, when he was on elementary school teams and he has been a phenom in high school all four years. He may need a year, either red shirt or in transition to get his footing but when he is ready I would not be surprised if he wins the starting spot. Kelly and Charlie know what they have and that is a QB who can throw every pass, scramble when need be, and run to make agressive defense pay. Golson is humble but he has every intention of going for the #1 spot ASAP… Go Irish !!

• gogolson - Dec 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Golson Leads Myrtle Beach to State Championship with 3 passing TD’s against the top prospect in the nation Jadevon Clowney a monster who belongs in the NFL but Everett and the Seahawks found the will to WIN !!!

Good N.D. article and quick highlight video in upper right hand corner here >>

2. v9versace - Dec 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Check out the new Versace V9 luxury mobile phone, featuring metallic housing with Swarowski crystal stone, shake control, turn-to-mute, blacklist functions and 2000 mAh battery. Available in gold or silver for only EUR 135 on http://www.versace-v9.eu

3. 1historian - Dec 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Montana is toast and I believe one – maybe more – of the three freshmen will transfer soon. If they can red-shirt Golson and let Crist and Rees fight it out next spring so much the better.
    Kelly certainly seems to know what he is doing – he is the right man for the job.