Dec 27, 2010, 11:26 AM EDT
While nasty weather across the country did its best to keep players traveling to Texas on their toes, the Irish arrived in El Paso and were welcomed by great crowds as Sun Bowl festivities begin.
UND.com has a great mix of photos and videos, including a mariachi band welcome at the El Paso airport, a BBQ buffet and Talent Show that includes freshman Danny Spond playing the keyboard, Jamoris Slaughter rapping with Ian Williams supplying the beat, and Kona Schwenke, Justin Utupo, and Manti Te’o doing a Haka dance. (Personal highlight is head coach Brian Kelly donning the sombrero and directing the mariachi band…)
The Irish are set to square off with the Hurricanes in a bowling showdown before the big game, but I’ll keep the coverage here to mostly football. (If you’re looking for more great Sun Bowl coverage, UND.com and the El Paso Times Sun Bowl Mania page are your best bets.)
After a long wait and a great holiday, it’s the final game week of the season for the Irish. There’s plenty to talk about, so expect a lot more out of me before our final live-blog of the 2010 season.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 41
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64