Jan 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
Sophomore guard Alex Bullard was released from his scholarship, granted a transfer to Tennessee where he can be closer to his family. Bullard will apply for a hardship waiver, asking to be eligible immediately after his father passed away last April after a three year battle with cancer.
“Due to the declining health and eventual passing of Louis Bullard, the last 12 months have been very challenging for Alex and his family,” Brian Kelly said in a statement released by the University Friday.
Bullard played sparingly last season after sitting out his freshman year. He appeared in three games, mostly on special teams, playing against Michigan State, Boston College and Western Michigan. Bullard missed time last spring as he was home with his family to spend time with his father.
“Throughout this very trying time, the Bullards have continued to exude the utmost class and dignity, and I wish Alex and his family all the best in the future and will keep them in my thoughts,” Kelly said. “Alex is a great young man that I enjoyed working with this year, and I fully understand and support his desires to attend a school close to his mother and sister.”
On his Facebook page, Bullard said the following:
“I would like to thank everyone that I met in the Notre Dame community, yall gave me a wonderful two years and I will miss you very much.”
Bullard’s departure at guard won’t be a severe blow to the depth chart, as Trevor Robinson, Chris Watt, Mike Golic, and potentially Andrew Nuss all return to the interior of the offensive line, with Dan Wenger also potentially returning for a sixth year where he’d likely cross-train between center and guard. Conor Hanratty joins the Irish roster next year in the incoming recruiting class as well.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)