Floyd’s decision yet to be made

Jan 10, 2011, 8:58 PM EST

Michael-Floyd

And with this tweet, we’re off to the races.

John Walters kick-started the inevitable news on the decision that Michael Floyd needs to make before the 15th of the month, the day early-entrants are required to declare for the NFL Draft.

While Walters’ source claims an announcement is happening tomorrow, that’s highly unlikely with Floyd still in Minnesota until tomorrow morning, when he’s set to fly back to South Bend and meet with Brian Kelly in the afternoon.

After speaking with two different sources close to Floyd, I’m hearing that the junior has honestly not made a decision yet, and won’t make one until after he meets with Coach Kelly tomorrow. Could he announce he’s going to the NFL tomorrow? Techinically yes, but there’d be a lot of logistics involved and not a lot of time to get things together on ND’s end. Part of what makes this decision hard are pressures weighing on Michael in both directions.

In ND’s corner is the fact that Mike loves being at Notre Dame and enjoys his time at Notre Dame, with his teammates, and the coaching staff. In the NFL’s corner is a financial comfort zone — regardless of what round he goes in — that’ll help get his mother out of a tough neighborhood and get Floyd away from an offense where he could feel he’s plateaued, especially in the offensive system he was used in this year and with the Irish’s struggles to do much offensively this season.

As reported by other sources, Floyd did receive his grading from the NFL Advisory board and it was reportedly a third round grade. Members of Floyd’s inner circle, which also includes former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, have also done some digging on Floyd’s behalf, and depending on the forty time he puts up at the Combine, he could also go in the Top 17 of the draft. That’s quite a difference, being picked outside of the top 90 picks to being picked in the first round, and that variance is part of what makes this decision so difficult.

The good news for all parties involved is that Floyd’s taking the decision very seriously and doing it with counsel that has his best interests at heart. Staying in school for another season or taking the leap to the NFL, Floyd can’t make a bad decision.

1. Jennifer - Jan 10, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Thanks for the perspective, Keith. I’ve been holding out hope for another year, but after reading your post, I’m betting heavy on the NFL. Just like last year, a player will go for the girl, only this year, the girl is his Mom. Makes me feel a whole lot better.

2. mpkennedy3 - Jan 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I hope he stays, and I am glad it is not a done deal that he is gone. Either way he has been a great player for us. Selfishly I would love for him to come back for his senior year so he could put himself in the position to be the best wr in the history of ND.

3. mrklutch - Jan 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I’m not ready to give in on Floyd yet. A third round grade is rather shocking to me, even in a deep receiver draft. If he stays for next year, he has a much better shot of being a first round pick than this year. Plus, offense will be even more scary with him returning.

4. tedlinko - Jan 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Thanks again for the informative post. I have to think that one other factor complicating MF’s decision is the uncertainty regarding the NFL’s labor agreement. While I tend to believe that they’ll eventually get something done (there’s just too darn much money at stake for all sides not to), it certainly doesn’t look like a done deal right now.

Leave aside for a minute the question of whether another season in SB (with a more experienced QB and another year in BK’s system) would boost his draft stock — I think it would. But that aside, as much as it sounds like MF loves ND, the thought of foregoing his senior year and then potentially not even be able to play next year anyway (in the event of an NFL lockout) would have to make the decision even tougher.

Selfishly I hope he stays but I really could see it going either way and I couldn’t begrudge him one way or the other.

5. fitz79 - Jan 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Whatever happened to the days when Notre Dame players ALWAYS came back for their senior years? It’s that commitment to education and belonging that has always made Notre Dame America’s quintessential program. To be honest I blame a lot of it on Weis and his convincing of Clausen and Tate to leave earlty just because he got canned. A very not classy move! Now with Rudolph jumping ship early even after a subpar, injury riddled season, I hope this is not becoming a new trend. I really hope Floyd has the integrity of some of the Notre Dame greats of the past to follow through on his commitment and come back and help guide us to a BCS game next year!

6. ndfootballfan4life - Jan 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM

As a fan I really hope Floyd returns for his senior season. I would be shocked if he got drafted in the first round. I just can’t see anyone forgoing their senior year to be drafted in the late second/third round of the draft. I hope he also keeps in mind that Weis also told Tate and Claussen to leave early, and look where they ended up getting drafted at. Good luck to Floyd whatever he chooses to do. Also, I know Rudolph is gone, but I really won’t be surprised if he goes in the second round/early third round either, especially after injuries have plagued his last two seasons.

7. ndgrad62 - Jan 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

The number of early departures from college football into the pros is increasing it seems. Since freshmen became eligible to play varsity sports, I suppose 3 years of college play is considered enough for these young athletes. Still it’s sad that they are foregoing the accomplishment of earning a degree and completing their education. Of course the pro teams are also big benefactors in this trend. In my opinion the NFL should be required to contribute a significant amount of money to a general college scholarship fund for each college player that enters the draft before graduating. After all, college football teams are a free minor league for the pros. And drafting the best athletes early does have a negative impact on the college teams.

8. notredave - Jan 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Seriously….Charlie is giving MF advice on this matter?? Well bless his heart.

9. 1historian - Jan 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I think Rudolph will be low 2nd round – he’s very talented but he is injury prone, and the same holds true for Floyd – I think he would be wrong to leave.

But whatever decision you make, Mike – best of luck.