Jan 30, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
It’s officially an NCAA quiet period right now, meaning there’ll be little news breaking until Wednesday morning, when faxes begin pouring into the football office at The Gug. (I’ll be getting up at a bizarrely early hour to follow along in the festivities, for your pleasure of course…) While the past few days have added some clarity to the roster situation, that doesn’t mean it’ll be smooth sailing until Wednesday.
With running back Savon Huggins staying home and going to Rutgers and long-snapper extraordinaire Bryce Haynes committing to Ohio State, that leaves the Irish in the mix for only one more player, defensive end Troy Niklas. Where he’ll go is anyone’s guess, but Servite high school has plenty of ties to USC, so it’s far from a lock that he’ll be dialing 574 into the fax machine.
One other situation to monitor is that of cornerback Bennett Okotcha. The Coppell, Texas native and teammate of running back Cam McDaniel reportedly visited Oklahoma over the weekend, who have made a hard push after Okotcha in the final days of recruiting. It’ll likely be Wednesday morning by the time we find out where the talented corner ends up. It’s a position that the Irish need depth at, and the Irish’s flipping of Okotcha from the Wisconsin Badgers was one of the more under-rated moves of the recruiting season.
There are the usual rumors buzzing around, including the news that Fort Wayne running back and Stanford commit Remound Wright has been offered a scholarship by the Irish, but it looks to be only internet rumors. Of course, if a second fax comes in from Bishop Dwenger high school on Wednesday, the Irish will have secured another four-star recruit, this one in rather spectacular fashion.
Hang on, it might be a bumpy ride until Wednesday morning. We’ll do our best to steer you through.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (95)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)