Jan 30, 2011, 1:11 PM EST
It’s officially an NCAA quiet period right now, meaning there’ll be little news breaking until Wednesday morning, when faxes begin pouring into the football office at The Gug. (I’ll be getting up at a bizarrely early hour to follow along in the festivities, for your pleasure of course…) While the past few days have added some clarity to the roster situation, that doesn’t mean it’ll be smooth sailing until Wednesday.
With running back Savon Huggins staying home and going to Rutgers and long-snapper extraordinaire Bryce Haynes committing to Ohio State, that leaves the Irish in the mix for only one more player, defensive end Troy Niklas. Where he’ll go is anyone’s guess, but Servite high school has plenty of ties to USC, so it’s far from a lock that he’ll be dialing 574 into the fax machine.
One other situation to monitor is that of cornerback Bennett Okotcha. The Coppell, Texas native and teammate of running back Cam McDaniel reportedly visited Oklahoma over the weekend, who have made a hard push after Okotcha in the final days of recruiting. It’ll likely be Wednesday morning by the time we find out where the talented corner ends up. It’s a position that the Irish need depth at, and the Irish’s flipping of Okotcha from the Wisconsin Badgers was one of the more under-rated moves of the recruiting season.
There are the usual rumors buzzing around, including the news that Fort Wayne running back and Stanford commit Remound Wright has been offered a scholarship by the Irish, but it looks to be only internet rumors. Of course, if a second fax comes in from Bishop Dwenger high school on Wednesday, the Irish will have secured another four-star recruit, this one in rather spectacular fashion.
Hang on, it might be a bumpy ride until Wednesday morning. We’ll do our best to steer you through.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 55
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (72)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)