Feb 2, 2011, 7:26 AM EDT
It’s Christmas morning for a certain breed of college football fan.
With my alarm clock sounding at a ridiculous 3:42 a.m. it wasn’t hard to get the morning jump-started on the West Coast, as the first faxes from around the country were set to arrive in The Gug in less than twenty minutes.
Posts will come fast and furious this morning as we’ll bring you as close to live-updates on the finalization of the 2011 recruiting class, a group that’s been over a year in the making.
Expect a lot from me on Notre Dame’s historic defensive end haul, which may have landed another very important recruit last night in Servite high school’s Troy Niklas, who according to several reports is set to fax his letter-of-intent to Notre Dame today.
Niklas’ signature gives the Irish eight recruits that fit the defensive end distinction (per Rivals), fulfilling a need Kelly openly identified a year ago as he discussed the 2010 recruiting class:
“I think the area as we continue to move forward, we have to continue to build our defensive line pool, especially at the end position,” Kelly said 364 days ago. “That is going to be absolutely crucial for us moving forward next year and looking at 2011. Our scholarship allotment is really going to have to look towards the defensive end position. We feel like we’re set inside. There’s a number of players that are going to be able to help us on the inside. We’ve got to get bigger and stronger on the edge of our defense, more athletic on the edge of our defense. I think those are two absolutely crucial needs for us moving forward after this class.”
Three members of the recruiting class, defensive ends Brad Carrico and Aaron Lynch and outside linebacker Ishaq Williams are already on campus. Niklas would add another highly touted front-seven defender to the class.
We’ll update you throughout the day as the faxes roll into the football offices as well as recap a recruiting class we’ve been talking about for a very long time.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (128)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (91)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)