Feb 15, 2011, 5:47 PM EST
With Luke Massa transitioning to wide receiver, the Irish have finally settled on a four-man depth chart at quarterback, after Nate Montana officially enrolled at University of Montana, according to The Missoulian.
“He’s admitted as a student, and he started classes today,” athletic director Jim O’Day told the paper. “Then I would assume he’s a walk-on, because we have no aid as of this semester.”
News of Montana’s departure broke last week when it was reported that Nate’s father, that Joe Montana, had a meeting with Grizzlies head coach Robin Pflugrad to discuss Nate’s future. This will be the second time Montana leaves Notre Dame in pursuit of playing time, with a semester spent at Pasadena Community College where Montana struggled to a 31 of 88 season with two touchdowns and five interceptions.
To think Montana will walk onto campus in Missoula and be given the starting job is far fetched as the Grizzly football program is one of the best in the Champioship Subdivision. He’ll look to replace former Oregon quarterback Justin Roper, who leaves after starting their this season, and enters a depth chart without a clear-cut No. 1 quarterback.
If you’re looking for a solid Irish depth-chart entering Spring Practice, expect Dayne Crist and Tommy Rees to start off at the top of it, with Andrew Hendrix working with that group as well. True freshman Everett Golson will likely be in charge of some specialty packages, but has a firm grasp of a spread offense and shouldn’t be discounted, regardless of his inexperience.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)