Vote for your favorite: 10 Memorable Moments on NBC

Mar 7, 2011, 9:15 AM EST

endframe

If you were looking to add another highlight to St. Patrick’s Day, six hours of Notre Dame football should go well with your favorite green beverage of choice. For those readers of the blog that don’t already have March 17 circled on their calendar, our friends at VERSUS will turn St. Patrick’s Day into “Celebrate the Irish” television by broadcasting three classic Notre Dame football games back-to-back-to-back, starting at 5 p.m. ET.

Hosted by Liam McHugh, NBC and Versus will bring you three of the best Fighting Irish football games that NBC ever aired, including:

1992 “Snow Bowl” vs. Penn State
2005 “Bush Push” vs. USC
1993 No. 1 Florida State vs. No. 2 Notre Dame
(They can’t all be happy memories…)

In addition to the games, there will also be exclusive interviews with head coach Brian Kelly and Irish legends like Jerome Bettis.

Maybe even cooler, the VERSUS telecast will unveil ten of the most memorable moments of Notre Dame on NBC. After much consideration and debate by people far more knowledgeable than myself, here they are in chronological order, posed to you for an all-important vote.

1992 vs. Penn State — The Snow Bowl

1993 vs. Florida State — The Game of the Century

1996 vs. Purdue — Allen Rossum’s 99-yard kickoff return to start the game

1996 vs. Rutgers — Lou Holtz’s last home game

1998 vs. LSU — The Irish launch a massive comeback

1999 vs. USC — Another comeback and a Southern Cal winning streak dashed

2000 vs. Air Force — Blocked FG leads to Joey Getherall’s game-winning OT touchdown

2005 vs. USC — The Bush Push

2006 vs. UCLA — Last-minute touchdown caps an Irish win

2010 vs. Utah — Students storm the field in a cathartic win over a ranked Utah team

I can think of nothing more enjoyable than spending St. Patty’s Day on the couch, getting a bonus triple dose of Notre Dame football while debating with your friends which of these Saturdays was the most “memorable.” Sure, games like “Bush Push” and the “Game of the Century” will forever be remembered, but taking a stroll down memory lane for some of those great Davie Era games, or Jeff Samardzija’s heroics against UCLA was a welcome blast from the past.

As you’ll be sure to notice in the upcoming months, we’re finding new and better ways to bring you more Notre Dame coverage, including a telecast of the 82nd annual Blue-Gold Spring Football Game on April 16th, live on VERSUS.

1. footballace - Mar 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I remember the Florida State game when I was a kid. That is my first memory of a Irish Football game to where I could remember certain parts and plays of a game. Before that game it was all a big blur.

The second game has to be the Bush push. I was stationed in Baghdad at the time and we all stayed up till the early morning to watch it. That game was epic. A roller coaster of emotions. Games like these help long deployments in terms of morale. I can still remember being in the Dfac jumping up and down in celebration when Lienart fumbled the ball thinking the Irish had won only to be devastated by the ruling on the field. A night that I will never forget.

2. tedlinko - Mar 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Among the 10 above, the Game of the Century has to rank #1 for me. It was a game that actually lived up to the ridiculous hype. And were it not for the Boston College debacle the following week, it would have paved the way for another National Championship.

The Bush Push was another game that actually lived up to the hype — but given the final outcome, I don’t see how it could be ranked as a “favorite” in the mind of any true Irish fan.

The other game that stands out for me with these two was, perhaps the greatest ND game of my lifetime (October 15, 1988). I had the privilege of being able to watch that game from the student section. Of course, since that predated the NBC contract, it doesn’t count for purposes of the above survey. Still, I had to mention it because I never get tired of THAT memory.

• oldestguard - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Thank you for including…..always wished I was there, but it felt pretty damn good in my living room too !

It was always special when Lou was pacing on the sidelines….

3. ndfootballfan4life - Mar 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I’d have to say the 2006 Mich State game when ND came back and scored 19 in the 4th quarter to win. I think that would be on the list if it hadn’t been played on ESPN.

4. pwt3 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I voted for Utah, because it’s the only one that could ever have anything to do with the formation of a championship team and program. If Kelly goes on to greatness, the punt block by RJ Blanton will go down as one of the legendary plays in modern ND history. It looks modest now, but it may be the line of demarcation, marking the end of the era that began when Boston College made that field goal.

5. tuddy84 - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM

1993 nd-fsu for those of you that were there you will remember this. It was a dreary day all morning then the nd band came on the field before the game and formed the interlocking nd and the sun came out and shined on the field the place went nuts. The irish were seven point dogs that day and i turned to my cousin and said i should have bet more money on them. The sun never came out the rest of the day. The feeling at the end of that game being there in that stadium was something i will never forget.Certainly worth the 235 dollars i paid for a ticket

6. thefiesty1 - Mar 11, 2011 at 10:22 PM

The 93 ND-FSU game had special interest for me because opposing players (Ken Alexander-LB for FSU and Greg Lane-CB for ND) came from the same high school that my kids attended and my wife taught at (LBJ-Austin) after being highly recruited.

I remember well the frustration of Alexander and throwing his helmet on the sidelines. And, of course, the Catholics vs the convicts.

Alexander went on to law school, became an attorney and skipped the NFL while Lane signed a free agent contract with San Diego but didn’t make the team.

It was a really good college football game, too.