Skip to content

Notre Dame releases statements on IOSHA findings

Mar 15, 2011, 2:36 PM EST

Getty Images - Jonathan Daniel Getty Images

The University of Notre Dame released statements in response to the findings by the Indiana Safety and Health Administration, stemming from the October 27 accident that took the life of student Declan Sullivan.

Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., Notre Dame president:

“Notre Dame has great respect for the thorough and professional manner in which IOSHA officials have conducted their investigation. We have worked collaboratively with them over the past four months and have had a chance today to take a preliminary look at their findings. We will study the details very carefully and take the actions necessary to protect the ongoing safety of our students and staff. We also are very interested in the IOSHA educational effort and have every intention of being a part of that to share what we learn.

“None of these findings can do anything to replace the loss of a young man with boundless energy and creativity. As I said last fall, we failed to keep him safe, and for that we remain profoundly sorry.”

John Affleck-Graves, executive vice president:

“The IOSHA findings are very helpful as we begin to conclude our own comprehensive investigation. As part of the agency’s review process, we will meet with officials in the next 15 days. We expect that our report will include information gathered through the IOSHA investigation as we focus on all factors that contributed to the accident, including the series of decisions made on that day. We have committed to making a report of our investigation public and will do so once it is complete and we have finalized our review with IOSHA, which we expect to be in four to six weeks.”

Jack Swarbrick, athletic director:

“I know John Affleck-Graves is leading a wide-ranging university investigation that will incorporate the findings from IOSHA. But nothing can change the tragic reality of what occurred last October, and all of us in Irish athletics continue to grieve with the Sullivans and keep them in our prayers.”

Brian Kelly, head football coach:

“Declan was a wonderful member of our football family and is missed to this day. We all continue to both grieve and keep his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers. I’m sure the university will use the findings from the state to enhance the investigation into this tragedy.”

  1. 1notredamefan - Mar 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

    May you rest in peace, Declan Sullivan!

  2. 1historian - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM

    The University was clearly negligent in this case and there will probably be a lawsuit coming.

    • ndreece - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:02 AM

      No kidding?

  3. 1historian - Mar 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM

    The university was clearly negligent in this incident and they knew it as soon as it happened – much of what they have said since then has the distinct aura of ‘spin’ about it. I do not question their sorrow and sincere regret for what happened to this young man, but anyone who does not think that they knew as soon as it happened that the University would eventually be liable for a whopper of a lawsuit is fooling himself.

    I worked in construction for 36 years, 4 of them in the South Bend area, I have worked on a scissor-lift – they can be scary. I am familiar with the sudden gusts of wind that can come up around there.

    The best tribute that can be paid to the memory of this young man is to have a Mass said for him.

  4. dmacirish - Mar 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM

    dude really, cmon you are a historian. please click here for some history on the “Mass of Rememberance for Declan Sullivan”. I do not think that the first thing the university thought was “oh poop here comes a lawsuit”.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!