Campus police arrest Michael Floyd

Mar 21, 2011, 9:40 AM EST

Getty Images - Jonathan Daniel Getty Images

According to multiple reports coming from South Bend, star wide receiver Michael Floyd was arrested around 4 a.m. Sunday morning by campus police and booked into St. Joseph County jail on a suspected DUI charge. He was released seven hours later after posting a $500 bond.

Floyd’s arrest on the eve of spring practice is the first hiccup in an offseason that was almost too smooth for Irish fans’ comfort. It also makes his future with the Notre Dame football team a bit murky, after Floyd decided to pass up the NFL Draft and return to South Bend for his senior season and to graduate with his class.

If you’re looking for some historic perspective on what happens now, Irish fans can look at the best and worst case scenarios as they have played out over the years. Former Irish running back Rashon Powers-Neal was arrested for DUI over fall break during his final season with the Irish and never returned to the team. On the flip side of that coin was Mike Ragone’s arrest last May on misdemeanor marijuana charges after being pulled over in LaGrange County on his way home from school while speeding on the Indiana Toll Road. Ragone missed no time with the Irish and stayed enrolled in school.

This isn’t Floyd’s first brush with the law, as he was ticketed for underage drinking over winter break home in Minnesota just days after new coach Brian Kelly took the job. That started their relationship on a rocky footing, which improved enough for Kelly to name Floyd as one of two full-time captains for next season after spending the 2010 season rotating game captains.

We likely won’t hear much about this until Brian Kelly addresses the media at the kickoff of spring practice, a distraction the head coach can’t be too happy about just days before Notre Dame was set to take the field.

1. piratey - Mar 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

If he was arrested at 4am…and was released 7 hours later…that would mean he was released at 11am right? But it’s not 11am yet. =]
    (PS i had sent you the WNDU article earlier and their timing only dawned on me after)

2. ndfootballfan4life - Mar 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM

he was arrested saturday night/sunday morning from what i understand

3. gopack62363 - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM

He probably watched the basketball team and drowned his sorrows! Let it play out…sucks but Kelly will handle…I assume he is now 21 correct as there is no reference to underage?

4. fitzp - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I really hope this doesn’t prevent him from playing this season – would hate to lose this 6 star recruit as Brian Kelly said himself

5. oldestguard - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Kelly’s really earning every bit of his salary since he’s come on board. He’s been tested like Job.

Tough start to the Spring, but if this serves as the warning it should to everybody, it can be a good lesson learned.

I still have Floyd penciled in for greatness this Fall

6. footballace - Mar 21, 2011 at 1:04 PM

The troubling part of this story is that he has been busted once already for drinking. You would think after the first time he would not make the same mistake twice, but I guess not. If I am coach Kelly I take away his Captain title and suspended him the first 2 games. I dont care if your the player of the decade.

Plus Floyd might have just dropped a few slots in the 2012 draft. He can make up for it on the field, but if you keep making the same mistakes off the field, NFL teams question your ability to make decisions.

I have a feeling that Coach Kelly is about to unleash the beast and make an example of Mr. Floyd. I am all for it.

7. ndfootballfan4life - Mar 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I understand college students are going to drink, but Floyd showed very poor judgement here. I do not know any of the circumstances regarding the incident, but I would assume that Floyd could have called any member of the football team and almost any member of the student body who follows ND football and have gotten a ride home. Hell, if he had called me I probably would have made the four hour trip to get him home safe. The outcome could have ended up a lot worse than a DUI arrest.

8. ndreece - Mar 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM

It has come out that he blew twice the legal limit. Not good. That being said, if you look at other DUIs for different schools I have seen the suspensions range from one (Kevin Grady at Michigan, who blew 3x the limit) to three (Sergio Kindle, Texas). It wouldn’t surprise me if Kelly keeps him out of spring practices, strips his captaincy, and suspends him for 3-4 games. Regardless there will be an uproar from everyone who is not a ND fan. Just like usual.

9. 1notredamefan - Mar 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

COME ON, Michael…… Get your head out of your ASS!!!

10. brendanunderscoreg - Mar 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Eric Hansen wrote that this could be the end of his ND career. Holy crap! Second offense for an alcohol related incident likely means Office of Residence Life will take him out for the whole season. Eric cites Will Yeatman as an example. This is scary stuff.

We’ll truly see Michael’s intentions after the punishment is handed down regarding the completion of his degree requirements. I really, really hope this isn’t the end of his ND career.

Michael, learn from this.

11. notredave - Mar 21, 2011 at 7:22 PM

ESPN is reporting that Kelly has suspended him indefinitely from any and all football related activities. This is actually his third alcohol related offense since 2009. Pulling for you Michael.

12. whisk3yjack - Mar 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

As others have noted, this is Floyd’s 3rd alcohol-related offense. Precedent indicates that ResLife will probably throw the book at him– either expulsion or a full season’s suspension. If that’s the case, one of Floyd’s main reasons for returning– to raise his draft stock by dominating on the field– will be gone, making it very likely that he enters the supplemental draft in July (if it even happens).

Floyd cast the University in a very favorable light when he chose to return for his 4th year, so that hopefully militates in favor of leniency.

If Kelly limits his punishment to a slap on the wrist, it will be red meat for those who claim ND doesn’t live up to its alleged standards; and that crowd hardly needs more ammunition after the Sullivan and Seeburg tragedies. Conversely, if Kelly crucifies Floyd to make an example, he probably bolts for the supplemental draft. It will be difficult to strike the right balance, but I doubt ResLife will leave Kelly any room for additional discipline.

This is a huge blow to the program, in terms of production, leadership, and PR. Our star WR and the offensive team captain does the school proud by spurning the NFL and returning for a 4th year, and now this…

Ruined my day.

13. jtsel81 - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I absolutely bleed Green & Gold!!! I love everything about the University. I am not an Alum, just a huge fan. They are with out a doubt the only program I have ever or will ever root for. That being said, I will be 100% disappointed if they do not suspend Michael for the entire season. His actions are only getting worse. First, underage drinking, then drinking & fighting, to now driving 2X over the limit!!!! Is anyone else seeing the downhill slide here or what. This needs to stop now, not just for his sake, but for the University’s as well. Time for BK & ND to do what’s right… Make a strong Moral and Ethical statement.