Notre Dame suspends Floyd indefinitely

Mar 22, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT

Getty Images - Jonathan Daniel Getty Images

With the ugly details of Michael Floyd’s weekend arrest now out in the open, we knew it wouldn’t be long until head coach Brian Kelly and Notre Dame would comment publicly on the fate of their rising senior captain.

In a statement released Monday afternoon, Kelly had this to say:

“I’ve spoken to Michael Floyd and his mother and, in light of what took place this past weekend, I let him know he has been suspended indefinitely from football team-related activities,” Kelly said Monday evening in a statement.

“Football needs to take a back seat at the moment while Michael gets his life in order, and while I don’t know when Michael will be reinstated, it will not happen until Michael demonstrates he has successfully modified his behavior and the legal and university disciplinary matters have run their respective courses.

“What’s most important right now is Michael focusing on maturing and developing more as a person while working to improve his decision-making processes.”

In another statement released by the university, Floyd himself apologized:

“First of all, I want to apologize to my family, friends, teammates, coaches, the University and the extended Notre Dame family for my behavior this weekend,” Floyd said in a statement released by the university. “I understand the gravity of the decision I made and how it could have had catastrophic effects on myself and others.

“I’ve talked to coach Kelly and I accept the decision he made. I absolutely recognize that I have many things to work on to become a better person and will need to regain the trust of all whom I have hurt within my immediate family and the Notre Dame family. I fully intend to spend the immediate future improving myself to become a better member of our community.”

Floyd’s brushes with the law and trouble he’s found himself in during his career have all come from drinking, so if this is the lightbulb that helps him understand that there might be a problem, let’s all be thankful that it didn’t take a major accident or someone else getting hurt for him to understand the severity of the problem.

If you’re looking to parse words, Kelly said he didn’t know when Michael would be reinstated, not whether he would be. That said, I think it’ll certainly be an uphill climb for Floyd to see the field for his senior season, a year so many Irish fans were ecstatic he’d be a part of.  If I’m a member of the coaching staff and the school’s disciplinary process, I’d take a serious look at how they can help Michael get his priorities straight, and if he’s shown that he can balance them — while staying alcohol free — maybe there’s a future for him still on the field at Notre Dame.

1. ndfan4ever - Mar 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Wow this a bad thing for Mike for sure. I beleive that he should be suspended now and he should get counciling for drinking but I don’t think he should be kicked out of school or should he miss next season. Unless he doesn’t change he behavior and has more problems in the summer and fall. He is 21 so he is legal to drink he made the wrong choice of driving after drinking and fortunally no was hurt. Good luck Michael with your changes and I hope to see you perform next year for the Irish.

2. mattnef - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Well looks like we will be without Floyd after all, we had all prepared for this once before. But now it is a reality (or must likely will be in the not so distant future.
    What a terrible decision to get behind that wheel.
    Time to change the banner at the top of this website? Harrison Smith perhaps?

3. jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Keith, you’re right, Kelly’s statement is telling in saying “when” and not “if” he’ll return. Further, he says Floyd is suspended from all “team-related activities” and not suspended from the team or the school, so that’s a plus. Send him to a few IRDC classes, suspend his license for 6 mos, levy a fine and let’s move on. Thank God no accident occurred. Could you imagine if seriously injured himself or somebody else? I had this brief flashing thought of MMF in a Christopher Reeve-type wheelchair on the sidelines next fall with his game day jersey on. That would’ve been messed up. He’s got to realize that he has a life of pure potential at this point, the sky’s the limit, and his only job is to just try not to mess it up. How hard could it be?

4. oldestguard - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

It’s certainly not my call as to what the “correct disciplinary action” is, but I think, as Kelly states, it should be fully addressed before football is resumed. I would hope Michael will use this to make himself a better man and, who knows, even become a role model for younger people. He can turn this into something life-changing if he ‘gets” the right message here. I would hate to see him dismissed and then leave with possibly nothing changed or learned from all this..

Severity or lack thereof should not be the focus with this discipline, “effectiveness” should be the important thing here….what will change this young man for the better. What will get him going in the right direction.

I hope it all ultimately works out for the best for him and the team and all concerned.

5. ndreece - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Does anyone know if his first arrest (in Minnesota) was adjudicated by Residence Life? I ask because I think that will dramatically affect how severely punish him this time around. A second offense in front of RL is a much bigger deal than a first. Regardless, he needs to be suspended. I would think 3 games is probably fair. Any less and the pundits will be calling for Kelly’s head. Actually, it probably doesn’t matter how many games Kelly suspends Floyd. The press and haters will still think it is not harsh enough, all while bringing up the fact the ND has a holier than thou attitude. Oh well.

6. 1notredamefan - Mar 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Look at the comments posted on this guy….http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6245642 60 somethin posts

then go to floyds comment section….I just love how irrelevant ND news remains! He did drive, but injured no-one and wasn’t trying to beat a cop up either, Can you imagine the play they would get if roles were reversed??

7. kfiz14 - Mar 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM

They should make him film practice as punishment.

8. c4evr - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Wow, ND lost it’s 2 best players in one day – Hansbrough and Floyd. That hurts. Floyd, IMHO, was the best athlete to wear an Irish uniform since The Rocket or Jerome Bettis. It’s too bad his legacy will have this unfortunate footnote. I went to the University of Tennessee myself and was there when Tony Robinson was on the cover of Sports Illustrated one week and brought up on drug charges the next. At UT, football came first, then the felonies and misdemeanors seemed to surface around February or March. Makes Floyd’s offense look pretty grade school, but then again, look where the Univ. of Tennessee is today. I guess Kiffin was the great Karmic comeuppance. Perhaps this is just the kind of thing that will get ND back to prominence. Sacrifice MF as a statement that ND stands for excellence with no exceptions.

Besides, maybe he was having second thoughts about his NFL decision and this was his way to get out of his senior year…

9. mbrown2 - Mar 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM

All college players should be required to attend a seminar hosted by the state police and hear lectures and view films of what happens to criminal behavior. Also shouldn’t the NCAA have more specific guidelines on what to do with drunken driving/drug arrests and other criminal activities?

10. rcali - Mar 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM