Kelly ruins Michigan’s throwback uniform surprise

Apr 3, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT

Dave Brandon

Just a few days after poking Southern Cal’s athletic director, Brian Kelly seems to have Michigan’s athletic czar in a tizzy.

First it was Pat Haden who wasn’t happy that Notre Dame decided to push their annual date with the Trojans to prime-time. (Even though we had to take a few shots at his rationale.) Now it’s former Domino’s Pizza chief Dave Brandon who has a bone to pick with Kelly, after he blew the surprise that both Michigan and Notre Dame would be wearing throw-back uniforms in their showdown in the second week of the season — another rare night game, this one the first at the Big House.

Kelly confirmed the rumors that the Irish and Wolverines would be wearing old school uniforms on Friday, giving credence to the rumors that the Irish would be wearing uniforms inspired by those worn in the Kuharich era.

“I’m just trying to help you guys piece together what it’s going to look like, without me saying and then getting yelled at by our adidas people that we blew the surprise for them,” Kelly said.

But that didn’t stop Kelly from dishing about the Wolverines uniform choice.

“But yeah, we’re going to have throwback uniforms. As they will. I can tell you what theirs look like: They have a block ‘M’ on them, and a number, and a number on their helmet. How’s that? The adidas people at Michigan are going to be pissed at me.”

Who’d have thought that BK would be right.

From the Detroit News‘ Angelique S. Chengelis, who covers the Wolverine beat:

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon told The Detroit News on Friday that while Michigan is working on a special uniform project for the night game with Adidas and is excited about it, nothing has yet been determined.

“I can’t say anything other than we’ve been working on this quite some time, but it’s not finalized,” Brandon said. “When we have something to show, we’ll show it. Brian Kelly went out on his own little messaging deal there and good for Brian Kelly.

“When we have something coherent and finalized to unveil, you’ll be hearing about it. But it’s not ready yet.”

Brandon’s beef is probably a little bit more legit than Haden’s, but I’m all for adding a little bit more spice to a game that’ll certainly have quite a bit of heat to it.

1. 9irish - Apr 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I’m not so sure that going back to the Kuharich era is such a good reminder (that’s with the shamrock on the shoulder, and the circles around the shoulders I believe)…not good times. They are pulling too many dog and pony show things, in my opinion…keep it on the low down, for God’s sake!

• 9irish - Apr 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I meant the shamrock on the helmet…sacrilege!

• bradwins - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Give me a break. Doing this once a year won’t hurt anything. I’m excited about it.

• piratey - Apr 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

How can it be sacrilege when they are styling after a helmet used in the late 50s? Do yourself a favor and Eric Murtaugh’s(He, Keith and Brian Hamilton are the cream of the crop for ND writers) wonderful write-up on ND uni’s throughout history: http://onefootdown.fantake.com/2011/03/17/the-definitive-notre-dame-uniform-history-pictorial/

• 9irish - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM

That’s a good pictorial, but honestly nothing that I didn’t already know, however. I’m not as serious about this thing as it might seem, if they want to do that for THAT game, well, have at it. My dad used to groan continuously about those years under Kuharich though (before my time) so it doesn’t stir up great feelings in alot of people.

As far as the GREEN jerseys, as I stuck up for last year, they go way back and they should make them more regular…but with white numbers (in the 40s), as you can see in that pictorial.

It’s all good…they have tweaked them all the time…just not a big fan of messing with the helmets.

2. cajunnd - Apr 4, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I was an ND student during the Kuharich era. Let’s not go there.

3. jajegoo - Apr 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Just keep toying around with ‘nothing’ gimmicks, when Notre Dame blatently ignores the need for two Jumbotrons in the home of the Fighting Irish, shows how antiquated the mindset is of du Lac’s administrators. Rendering modern amenities to the paying customers at Michiana’s most famous entity, Notre Dame home football games, will assist in the recruitment of BCS-caliber gridders. When an 18 year-old recruitee sees a Jumbotron-lacking stadium he can easily conclude that the college is arrogantly out-of-touch with reality then look to showcase his talents somewhere more appreciated.
    Fighting Irishly yours, Terrence T. DeShone of Elkhart Indiana 17 miles from ND Stadium

4. youngstownpride - Apr 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM

This is absolutely a marketing gig by adidas to sell some throwbacks at The Hammes for $100 a pop and ND alums to buy them for their little ones. I think this is stupid.

5. mastrl - Apr 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I say the heck with Michigan and USC.

1st, has anyone realized that the latest USC will come to Notre Dame to play is late October (not cold yet), and when ND goes to USC to play it is always the last game, when it is still hot.

• jad4444 - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I say the heck with Michigan and USC.

I have attended many ND/SC games in L.A. and it has hardly ever been hot then. The weather runs from pleasant/cool to cold and raining but very very rarely hot.

6. cfbrules - Apr 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Good for Brian Kelly. Who cares what Haden or Brandon have to say. They both have far bigger problems to worry about, Haden should worry about what he’s going to do with his head coach who’s in trouble with the NCAA for cheating and then lying about it. Brandon needs to worry about getting his football program back to respectability. They had possibly the worst defense in CFB in 2010 and the recruiting class was one of the worst ever. Worry about your own programs AD’s.

7. paiten34 - May 15, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I care about the throw back uniforms but the real story is Kelly throwing punches at USC and Michigan. After all we are ND!!!!!! Messing with their heads and showing them that ND isn’t afraid of offending anyone. Swagger and confidence starts at the top. This has been a long time in the waiting