May 2, 2011, 12:39 AM EDT
While he won’t formally announce his intent until Monday evening, the Miami Herald’s Larry Blustein is reporting on Twitter that wide receiver Justin Ferguson is committing to the Fighting Irish.
Ferguson would be the Irish’s sixth commitment, joining Tee Shepard, Taylor Decker, Ronald Darby, Scott Daly, and Nicky Baratti. Ferguson spent the Blue-Gold game with the five committed athletes in South Bend a few weeks ago.
After that visit, Ferguson had this to say about the Irish:
“They’re definitely one of my top choices right now,” Ferguson told IrishIllustrated.com. “I did some research on it too and I think it’s between Florida and Notre Dame for me right now.”
If the news from the Herald is true, the commitment is a big one for the Irish, who face an uncertain depth chart after next season with Michael Floyd departing, John Goodman and Deion Walker not necessarily guaranteed fifth years, and a position grouping looking for established playmakers.
Ferguson, from Pembroke Pines, Florida, just minutes north of Miami, has offers from programs like Florida, the hometown Hurricanes, UCF and Wisconsin. The 6-2 wide receiver has good speed, a pretty impressive junior season highlight tape, and the kind of size that makes you think he’ll be a great outside receiver in head coach Brian Kelly’s system. Ferguson moved to South Florida from Philadelphia, where he put up big numbers as a sophomore.
More news certainly to come tomorrow, but the commitment would be a great one for the Irish, who might count on Ferguson early.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 0
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 104
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172