Kelly: Floyd is either ‘all in or all out’

May 24, 2011, 6:06 PM EST

Michael FloydA

Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune finally got the quote of the offseason, on the record, from the man himself.

Brian Kelly has finally committed to ink what many of us have been hearing for weeks. If (and that’s still an if) Michael Floyd continues on his current path and “changes the way he’s lived his life,” he’ll play every game for the Irish in 2011.

The whole thing is a good recap of Floyd’s situation and is worth reading, but here are Kelly’s specific quotes when talking about his star wide receiver:

“We’re looking at Mike as an ‘all in or not’ situation,” Kelly told the South Bend Tribune. “ In other words, he’s changing his life or he’s not. If he changes the way he’s lived his life, he’ll play every game for us. If he doesn’t, he won’t play one down here at Notre Dame.

“He is at that level. This is not, ‘I’m going to slap you on the hand and sit you for two games’ — because I don’t want to read about him in a year, where it says, ‘Ex-Notre Dame player arrested for X-Y-Z.’ That will be a failing on my part if that happens.”
“He had a number of things he had to take care of, and he’s checking off the boxes,” Kelly said. “But he’s got a number that are still out there.

“One that he did get past this spring was his academics. He had to have a specific GPA, and he did. He’s got some community service stuff he’s still got to do for Res Life. He’s got court coming up on June 7, and he’s got to pass that.”

If you were trying to guess a good timeline for when news on Floyd’s “return” to the team would be, you’ve had to expect something out of South Bend this time of year, with spring semester finished and many Irish athletes preparing to return for summer session. Kelly’s disciplinary plan for Floyd has likely been in place since spring practice, with Kelly deciding to let Floyd dictate whether or not he’s worthy of wearing the Irish’s blue and gold for one more season.
“There’s no gray area anymore,” Kelly said. “There just can’t be. Too many times it’s been, ‘I’ll change.’ Look, you’re parenting a young man whose close to being a teenager. As much as it hurts to say, ‘He’s done at Notre Dame,’ if he doesn’t change his life, he’s done at Notre Dame. he’s not going to play here.

“Having said this, I’m very optimistic. I’m not going to paint a bleak picture. He’s done some things, that I can’t get into relative to changing his life, in which reports back from professionals are really optimistic. But he’s got to handle all these things before we start thinking about playing in the fall.”

These next two weeks are important ones for Michael. He’ll likely clear up any of his legal hurdles at his court date in early June, and he’ll have another semester to start on the aggressive track laid out after last season to get his degree at the end of the fall semester. Again, there’s no real reason to get your hopes up just yet, but Irish fans at least have to be happy that Floyd has taken care of the business at hand, something he pledged to do.
  1. jerseyshorendfan1 - May 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Phew……what a relief. I read the headline quickly and thought Jeez, now he’s addicted to Texas Hold’em.

2. ndfan4ever - May 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I was not a fan in Kelly when he was brought in and after some games last year but I am coming around. I beleive what he says is correct if Mike can’t make the changes then he won’t play because in the long run Kelly is right a slap on the hand sit a few games and then we see Mike in trouble what has been taught? Nothing. I hope an pray for Mike to make the changes not just so he can play football but so he can become a better person. Go Mike we are all pulling for you to succeed. Go Irish.

3. bernhtp - May 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM

If we’re having a vote, count mine for Mike being all in.

4. nddc21 - May 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM

While I think this is a great approach by Coach Kelly (actually changing Michael as a person, instead of sitting him out while letting this behavior continue in his life as they do at countless other schools), I’d like to point out the obvious by saying that this is bound to get lambasted by the nat’l media/bloggers. If Michael doesn’t sit out any games, it’s a great opportunity for others to point fingers and say “NOTRE DAME IS JUST ANOTHER FOOTBALL SCHOOL NO MORALS DERPDERPDERP.”

So, while I support the intent of changing Michael’s life for the better, sitting him out against USF would also give us some credit against the naysayers. And with everything the program’s been through the last year (Declan, the sexual assault allegation), we could use some credit on our side. Just sayin’.

• borromini - May 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Couldn’t care less what the naysayers think or say. Kelly’s approach is good enough for me.

• bradwins - May 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Who cares what anti-Notre Dame people say? Haters gon’ hate. Notre Dame isn’t perfect, but there is no college football program or media outlet with the moral high ground compared to ND. All Kelly and ND can do is what they believe is the right thing. Let people say what they want.

• nudeman - May 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM

The finger pointing ND haters will find something wrong with the Floyd situation regardless of what they do to discipline him. If they sit him out for 1 game, they’ll say ND is soft and should have sat him for 2; if they sit him for 5 games, they’ll say it should have been 6. Or 12. So I don’t worry about that. I saw something the other day about some football player at an SEC school who’d just been arrested for the 4th time. He’s still enrolled.

Sounds to me like Kelly has a genuine concern for Floyd’s future as a person, even more so than as a player. Can you imagine saying that about Spurrier or Lane Kiffin? I can’t.

5. yaketyyacc - May 26, 2011 at 3:56 AM

isn’t this what NOtre Dame is all about. if you are tryiing, you are winning, and Michael is trying, so if he never catches another pass, he is a winner. AND HE SURE WILL CATCH ANOTHER PASS. up Irish!

6. paiten34 - May 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM

I think all that needs to be said is the old saying, “give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time. ” If this teaches Floyd not to drink and drive or to just think before he acts he’ll not only be a better person but a better player.