May 29, 2011, 12:51 PM EST
It’s been a busy weekend for the Irish coaching staff, as they’ve reeled in two more recruits, with safety CJ Prosise and wide receiver Deontay Greenberg pledging their commitment to Notre Dame.
The news that Greenberry committed was far less of a surprise than Prosise, as Greenberry’s been on Irish fans’ radar for months. The lanky receiver has long been rumored to join his cousin Tee Shepard in South Bend eventually, and Mike Denbrock’s visit to Fresno in early May with a scholarship offer was all Greenberry needed.
“It was just a matter of time,” Greenberry told IrishIllustrated.com. “I pretty much knew what I was gonna do. I kind of knew it was gonna be them this whole time. My coaches were kinda getting tired of all the colleges coming up. Since I knew I decided to pull the trigger.”
Greenberry is a highly-ranked prospect, checking in just outside Rivals.com’s first Top 100 list, and has been lighting up the summer camp 7-on-7 circuit.
As for Prosise, the Irish are getting a physical presence at safety, with legit size at 6-foot-2, 195 pounds. He also has some speed, finishing second in the in the 100-meter dash at the Virginia state track meet. As important as any other factors, Prosise adds more depth to a secondary that’ll need to replace Harrison Smith, Gary Gray and Robert Blanton after this season.
Prosise has offers from Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Penn State and North Carolina and will visit South Bend for the first time next weekend. He’s also got the ability to play offense for the Irish, another potential cross-over in a diverse group of players.
The Irish have nine verbal commitments in their 2012 recruiting class.
- It’s official: Golson returns to Notre Dame 59
- Bob Diaco accepts the UConn head coaching job 117
- Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make 40
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Bryant’s redshirt freshman season appears official (117)
- Postseason Mailbag: Now Open (Christmas giveaway bonus!) (91)
- Recruiting bonanza continues with TE Tyler Luatua commitment (90)
- Pot of Gold pushes Notre Dame recruiting to the forefront (34)
- Elston pledges return as Irish program moves forward (28)