Prestwood set to transfer to Notre Dame

Jun 3, 2011, 1:07 AM EDT

JordanPrestwood

If the Irish coaching staff’s never-say-die attitude helped them with Aaron Lynch, Ishaq Williams and Stephon Tuitt, then it really paid dividends with offensive tackle Jordan Prestwood.

One of the top tackle targets in the class of 2011, Prestwood was committed to the Irish until he changed his mind in November, flipping to the home-state Seminoles and enrolling early in school this January. But tonight news broke that Prestwood plans to transfer from FSU after just one semester with the intent of enrolling at Notre Dame, a credit to the work Tony Alford and his position coach Ed Warinner did with the talented left tackle.

The rumblings of Prestwood’s discontentment aren’t exactly new news, as recruiting guru Tom Lemming discussed with Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune.

“I had been hearing rumblings about that for a while, that he wasn’t happy at Florida State,” CBS Sports recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said Thursday night. “This is a big pick-up for Notre Dame.

“Jordan has long arms and he moves his feet well. He was one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the country in the 2011 recruiting cycle, and sitting out a year will really benefit him, because he played tight end in high school.”

“It’s like Notre Dame got the elite offensive tackle they were looking for, for their 2012 recruiting class,” Lemming said. “A lot of credit goes to (ND assistant coach) Tony Alford. When Prestwood flipped to Florida State, Alford handled it with class and wished him well. A lot of coaches would get mad and burn bridges under those circumstances.”

Prestwood had offers from Auburn, Florida and USC before choosing Florida State. He spent time with the first offense during spring practice for the Seminoles and will sit out the 2011 season as a transfer, essentially redshirting with four years of eligibility left.

Talk about a gift added to the 2011 recruiting class, a group that was already pretty well stocked, but could’ve used one more offensive tackle prospect. No word on whether or not Prestwood will enroll for summer classes yet, but Irish football players are reporting in the next week, so we’ll know soon enough.

1. brendanunderscoreg - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Wow! The 2011 class is officially the weirdest recruiting class ever (in a good way).

• danno27 - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Wow you said it – I’m flabbergasted. Talk about full circle. Prestwood was the kid who did that press conference and said “this is it. ND is where I’m going, and I am done with the recruiting process” – and then flopped over to the dark side. Happy to see him back – he’s a monster.

2. notredave - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM

This news has made my day. Made. My. Day!

3. 1historian - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This is getting GOOD.

Kelly is the right man for the job.

How many times have I said that? I’ve lost count.

4. bernhtp - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM

After watching the recruiting of Lynch, Williams,Tuit, and now Prestwoord, Alford and Kelly either have Svengali-type powers or kids are beginning to respond to honesty instead of promises of cars and houses.

5. paiten34 - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Taking a recruit from another national power. It’s like the old days again, haha I love it.

6. papadec - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Let’s wait and see how it all plays out, before we start dancing in the street.

7. ccad05 - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Have you seen the streets in south bend? They’re dangerous and full of potholes

8. 1historian - Jun 5, 2011 at 7:46 AM

papadec – good point well made. But this is the off-season, the lull before the season gets underway, and granted we broke the century mark not long ago, but the fact remains that there are STILL 90 days to go until hostilities commence for real.
    So, speaking (most respectfully) for myself and for (I believe) a few others, I respectfully suggest that you cut us just a bit of slack.

Please note that this note is sent tongue-in-cheek

• papadec - Jun 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Looks like I hit a sore spot. I didn’t intend to be critical – just cautiously optimistic. I AM happy about the prospect of JP transferring to ND. I went back and read the Sound Bend Tribune article (which I hadn’t done). It looks more like a done deal than the impression I got from Keith’s article & the article @ Irish Sports Daily. I’d still rather wait for JP to clear any Admissions hurdles, and actually register for classes – before I do any dancing (on my tired old legs) in the pot hole streets of South Bend OR the wagon train ruts up here in the NW. What I am more excited about is the fact that the ND Administration is considering a transfer student. That appears to be a very positive sign of the ND administrators & coaching staff working together with mutual trust & respect to rebuild an “elite” program with the R K Guys.

9. jmb795 - Jun 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Hope he goes to class at ND. He wasn’t doing much of that at FSU.