Turner works his way to an Irish offer

Jun 23, 2011, 9:31 PM EST

John Turner

As the recruiting cycle gets earlier and earlier, the summer football camp has turned from an evaluation tool to a last chance for rising senior recruits. With Notre Dame already out to almost 100 prospects, you can’t help but pull for guys like Indianapolis safety John Turner, who came to Notre Dame’s summer camp with the intent of earning a scholarship offer.

Turner did it. Wowing the coaching staff with his athleticism, Turner ran a 4.5 forty-yard dash, showing the speed needed to play in the secondary at the major college level.

IrishIllustrated.com has the comment of record from Turner, who earned a Notre Dame offer to go along with mid-major options like Bowling Green, Miami (Ohio), Temple, Toledo, and Western Michigan, as well as Big Ten offers from Indiana and Minnesota. Recruiting Mike Elston broke the good news to Turner.

“He was telling me they want me at Notre Dame,” Turned told IrishIllustrated.com. “They have an offer for me. I was like, ‘Really? Is this really happening? Is this for real?’ I was very excited.”

According to IrishSportsDaily.com, Turner’s offer was largely contingent on his ability to show enough speed to succeed at the D-I level. When he clocked a forty time that was good enough for the Irish coaching staff, Notre Dame pulled the trigger on Turner.

“I thought I really did well at camp and I ran a 4.5 40-yard dash, 4.18 in the shuttle, and I did really well in drills during one-on-ones,” Turner told ISD. “I just had a really good day.”

Those that follow recruiting probably won’t be wowed with the Irish chasing a guy that had only two major college offers. But Turner looks every bit the part of a big-time safety, and the staff had as good of a look as you could ever ask for, with Turner forcing the hand of Brian Kelly and his staff by turning heads at camp.

Turner hopes to make a decision in the next few weeks, and you’ve almost got to assume he’ll be joining the Irish recruiting class now that he’s worked his way to an offer.

1. borromini - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:43 PM

“With Notre Dame already out to almost 100 prospects…”

According to Blue Gold Illustrated, the Irish are well over 100 offers…closer to 130. It truly has changed in the past couple years from how Weis recruited.

• papadec - Jun 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Yesterday at IrishSportsDaily (ISD), I counted 144 offers for the class of 2012. 10 Commits to ND & 40 Commits to other programs. That leaves 90 offers without a QB commit, yet. I’m also seeing more offers to HS sophs than I can remember seeing in the past. The ND coaching staff is very busy – not with just the present class, but with the future classes as well. I like it!!!!!!!!

2. 10of14 - Jun 25, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Love these type of kids and offers. I have seen so called 5 star kids take dumps and 3 star kids become All Americans. Good recruiters (see Lou Holtz) have the ability to spot athleticism first, combined with character and a will to succeed…I see that in this kid. Well done coach Kelly!

• odername - Jun 26, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I completely agree, 10/14. Under Weis, we all would have seen this as a terrible indicator of how recruiting was going because the more highly-rated guys were priority. Under Kelly, though (so far anyway), the focus is on getting the best clay out the so the molders in Kelly and his staff can teach up a great football player. It seems that the recipe from Kelly is, get me guys with the size, athleticism and attitude that can’t be taught, and I’ll teach them to play great football. Very excited – can I just go to sleep and wake up on September 3?

• papadec - Jun 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM

You’re going to have a chance to love John even more, in the future. ISD reports that he committed to the Irish tonight. ESPN lists him as a three star DB. Another Kelly RKG with size, speed & attitude.