Reports: Prestwood transfer to Notre Dame complete

Jul 28, 2011, 1:07 AM EST

JordanPrestwood

While the news originally broke back in the beginning of June, it’s been made official by various reports that blue-chip offensive tackle Jordan Prestwood has officially been cleared through admissions, completing his transfer to Notre Dame.

Prestwood was one of the Irish’s top targets along the offensive line, and originally committed to Notre Dame, only to change his mind in November and enroll at Florida State for the spring semester. Early reports this summer had Prestwood hoping to enroll in summer school, but a foreign language requirement delayed his enrollment until the fall semester.

Prestwood will have to sit out because of NCAA transfer rules, but was likely going to redshirt anyway with depth along the offensive line giving him the time to develop.

When reached for comment by IrishSportsDaily.com, Prestwood was thankful to have a second chance to come to Notre Dame.

“Coach Kelly and the staff gave me a chance to come back,” Prestwood told ISD. “I was real close with Coach Alford and they knew I was the type of kid who fit in with their program. Once I got my release and it was sent and I was officially released they really understood. They understood I made a mistake and they were real good with it. The Notre Dame staff was really excited about it and welcomed me back with open arms. It was exciting for me and my family knowing they still wanted me there.”

Prestwood will join his teammates in fall camp August 3rd.

1. brendanunderscoreg - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:03 AM

So, is this finally the end of what I think is the craziest recruiting class ever? Glad to have him back.

• tedlinko - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Crazy like a fox, I’d say — the fox (or foxes) being Kelly and his staff.

Lets just hope they can keep it going and recruit like this every year. One great class does not a championship program make.

• oldestguard - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Very glad to have him on board and to see Kelly and his coaches have the persistence and then the resulting success that they have enjoyed so far.

I have a question…is Prestwood considered in this 2011 recruiting class, or in the 2012 class, because of the NCAA transfer rule ?

• borromini - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

He signed and enrolled early at FSU in January so he’ll be listed as a 2011 FSU recruit who transferred. He’s not a 2012 recruit.

• oldestguard - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Thanks !

2. papadec - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I guess I can dance in those potholed South Bend streets now that it’s official. I’m glad it all worked out.