After four month purgatory, Floyd reinstated with Irish

Aug 3, 2011, 11:24 AM EDT

Michael FloydA

Less that two weeks after torching a gifted Miami Hurricanes secondary for two touchdowns and 109 yards, Michael Floyd made a decision that had many praising his maturity: he was returning to Notre Dame for his senior year, turning down the opportunity to be selected early in the NFL Draft.

“I’m returning to Notre Dame for three reasons: to earn my degree, return Notre Dame to the top and improve myself as a player,” Floyd said back in January. “I promised my mom I would graduate from Notre Dame and I am 40 credit hourse shy of that goal. I chose to attend Notre Dame in part because I knew it was a 40-year decision and not a four-year decision.”

The decision was hailed as a good one not just for Irish fans and Floyd, but for college football. That decision, and any goodwill Floyd had earned for it, evaporated a little over two months later, when the wide receiver was arrested by campus police for driving drunk, less than a mile from his apartment.

What followed was rocky purgatory that put Floyd’s fate as both a Notre Dame student and record-breaking football player in jeopardy.

“The last four months have been the most humbling stretch of time in my life,” Floyd said in a statement released today by the university. “I embarrassed myself, my family, the university, my football team and many more people.”

That stretch is officially over, Notre Dame announced this morning. When the Irish open camp this Saturday, they’ll do it with No. 3 back on the roster, as Brian Kelly announced that Michael Floyd has earned his way back onto the Irish football team.

“From the very beginning of this process, Michael knew what was expected for him to be a member of our football program,” Kelly said in a statement. “I told Michael that football needed to become of less importance to him while he worked on personal growth. Over the last four months, Michael impressed those that had close contact with him including professional advisors. Based on my own observations, I am very pleased with the progress Michael has made since March. That is why I am comfortable reinstating him to our football team. Michael knows that he must continue on this positive track. I look forward to witnessing the development he has made based on lessons learned from this situation and how that will lead to better choices in the future.”

That Floyd, Notre Dame’s best player and lifeblood of the offense, is back on the team after a March run in isn’t all that unexpected, especially after he navigated his way through a gauntlet that included Notre Dame’s Residence Life office and the city’s legal system. And while many will look to make a grander statement on Notre Dame’s relaxed disciplinary branch or a football program willing to bend to adapt, Kelly isn’t going to waste his time battling cynics.

“I really can’t,” the head coach said. “Those that are cynics and skeptics about relationships with 18 to 21 year olds and don’t know the work that we do with these young men on a day-to-day basis, I can’t explain to them the number of hours we put in with these young men. They’re going to be out there, and they can have those opinions but I think we take this very serious. We’re talking about somebody we want to make sure gets his degree and is a very productive member of our society.”

Both Kelly and Floyd will be made available to reporters this afternoon, but the football program finally let the general public in on what’s been going on the past four months, where Floyd’s absence hung like the lone cloud over a team trending in a very positive direction. The Irish’s leading receiver wasn’t just unavailable to media requests or absent from team practices and the televised Blue-Gold game, he didn’t exist on the team’s roster, in their media releases or on the team’s website. Left to work and train on his own, Floyd relied on a work-ethic widely praised by fellow players and coaches alike.

“I went through the motions, the same as if I was out there playing,” Floyd said. “I didn’t work out with the team, but as soon as the team was done, I was in there. Working out. If we had practice, I was in Loftus or wherever I could be running routes. Kind of just going through the paper of running routes, making sure I could keep up with my stamina and my endurance bcause it’s rough out there.”

With the indefinite nature of Floyd’s suspension and his uncertain return to college football, rumors swirled through the media that Floyd may entertain playing in the CFL, or potentially apply for the NFL’s supplemental draft. After a four month silence, Floyd dispelled the rumors of pondering a jump from Notre Dame to professional football.

“When I said I was coming back to school I said I was coming back to have this season be a wonderful season and also get my degree,” Floyd said. “There was no chance in my mind that I was going to go to the NFL Supplemental draft.”

Floyd’s path is now clear to play during the Irish’s opening game against South Florida, now just a month away. While he’s officially been stripped of his captaincy (he and Harrison Smith were the team’s only captains), he’ll still be looked upon for leadership by the coaching staff.

“I think Michael Floyd has always been on the field, the ‘A’ student. I don’t think there’s anybody on our football team that would question his dedication to football,” Kelly said. “What we question is whether he was making the right decisions off the field. I think our players have observed the things that he’s done, he’s gotten a chance to integrate back with our team over the summer and I think he’s working toward building that respect back with his teammates.”

That process has already started this summer, as Floyd was cleared to participate in unofficial workouts with his teammates.

“It feels great, just knowing that things are going in a positive way right now,” Floyd said of the summer work. “I’m with my teammates, having fun, throwing the ball around, and talking to coaches, it’s all going real well.”

There’s no denying that Floyd’s reinstatement will put an even bigger target on his back. For a player that’s spent just about every day he’s had on the football field in the spotlight, the Irish’s star receiver is a mild-mannered, quiet, and introverted 21-year-old. To Floyd’s credit, he knows the process will be ongoing.

“I know I made a mistake. I’m moving forward from it,” Floyd said. “I’m making sure that I keep the values that still stay in me. Be acccountable to the team. Be responsible and be a leader. And maintain this positive attitude I have.”

With Floyd back with the team as camp opens, the Irish can focus on bigger issues, like what quarterback they plan to have throwing passes to their star receiver. As for any lingering effects from the four-month layoff or tempered expectations for the senior receiver who had a junior season some would call disappointing, Brian Kelly said all he needed to in one sentence.

“I just think the sky’s the limit for Michael Floyd.”

Latest Posts
  1. Can spring stars deliver in the fall?

May 22, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT

C. J. Prosise C. J. Prosise

Just like spring marks the end of winter, it also begins another unofficial season on the gridiron. The emergence of spring stars. These breakout stars sometimes burnout before fall rolls around, but it doesn’t make their emergence any less interesting.

2. After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options

May 20, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Monday, Notre Dame announced that 16 student-athletes would be spending three weeks in South Africa, earning credits in a new study abroad program examining the cultural, historical and social effects racism has had on South Africa. Five more will be going to Greece, learning about archaeological sites and museums in Ancient Corinth.

3. Kelly comments on Golson’s transfer

May 20, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT

Brian Kelly, Everett Golson AP

If you were looking for anything official out of Notre Dame after Everett Golson announced his intention to play next season at Florida State, think again. But yesterday, Brian Kelly was the head speaker at the ninth annual West Michigan Sports Commission Luncheon in Grand Rapids, and he shared a few comments about the move.

4. Everett Golson transferring to Florida State

May 19, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

Everett Golson Everett Golson

After graduating from Notre Dame over the weekend, Everett Golson has decided to play out his eligibility at Florida State. The former Irish quarterback visited Tallahassee last week before coming to a decision on Tuesday morning, according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman.

5. Russell talks to SI about suspension, return

May 19, 2015, 12:37 PM EDT

Oklahoma v Notre Dame Oklahoma v Notre Dame

In a profile with Sports Illustrated, KeiVarae Russell spoke on the record about his departure from Notre Dame, his impending return, and the motivations that push him.

6. Mailbag: All about the defense

May 18, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Sheldon Day, Terrel Hunt Sheldon Day, Terrel Hunt

In a one-question, part-two of the mailbag, a reader points out one of the most important factors entering the 2015 season: Brian VanGorder’s defense.

7. Mailbag: All about the quarterbacks

May 15, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl Getty Images

For as much as we’re ready to move on from the quarterback talk… we’re not really ready to move on from the quarterback talk.

8. Post-spring depth chart: Defensive line

May 14, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT

North Carolina v Notre Dame Getty Images

We close out our post-spring stock reports with a look at the defensive line.

9. KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about)

May 13, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT

Jackson Russell

For all the attention paid to Everett Golson’s decision to leave Notre Dame, the Irish might be welcoming back an even better football player when KeiVarae Russell returns this June.

10. Mailbag: Life after Golson (and an update on comments)

May 13, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT

New Mailbox

The mailbag is open. Also, a quick bit of housekeeping as we address some problems in the comments.

11. Swarbrick denies blocking Golson’s transfer options as rumors swirl

May 12, 2015, 2:03 AM EDT

Everett Golson Everett Golson

First came the news that Everett Golson was leaving. Now comes the circus, as we take to the rumor mill to speculate where Golson ends up.

12. Post-spring stock report: Linebackers

May 11, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

Jaylon Smith, Joe Schmidt Jaylon Smith, Joe Schmidt

We continue our look at the post-spring depth charts with the linebackers. A talented group of athletes might provide one of the most misleading depth charts in recent memory.

13. Mailbag: Anything but the QBs

May 9, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT

Temple v Notre Dame Getty Images

Just to get our mind off the big quarterback news. Let’s tackle a few mailbag questions… that don’t talk about the guys playing behind center.

14. Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure

May 8, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT

Discover BCS National Championship - Notre Dame v Alabama Getty Images

The dust has settled. Everett Golson is leaving Notre Dame. So while the rest of the story will take chase—the wheres and the whys eventually coming out—the only thing that’s important for the Irish is looking at what remains, and how the program moves on from here.

15. Recruit Bo Wallace announces he’s not coming to Notre Dame

May 7, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT

Rivals.com Rivals.com

Incoming freshman defensive end Bo Wallace tweeted that he’s no longer going to attend Notre Dame.

16. It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED)

May 7, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

Everett Golson Everett Golson

It’s official: Everett Golson is transferring.

17. ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer

May 7, 2015, 1:37 PM EDT

Michigan v Notre Dame Getty Images

With finals nearly finished and Everett Golson on track to earn his degree in the coming weeks, ESPN’s Brett McMurphy broke the news that Irish fans had to be dreading.

18. Former Irish TE John Carlson retires from NFL

May 6, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT

North Carolina Tar Heels v Notre Dame Fighting Irish Getty Images

One of the branches on Notre Dame’s NFL tight end tree is retiring. Former Irish star John Carlson, a former second-round pick who spent seven seasons as a professional, is stepping away from football. Carlson played for the Irish from 2003-07 and spent time with the Seahawks, Vikings and the Cardinals.

19. Mailbag: Now Open

May 6, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT

New Mailbox

The mailbag is open. Drop your questions below or on Twitter @KeithArnold.

20. Post-spring stock report: Secondary

May 5, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Michigan v Notre Dame Getty Images

With the majority of Notre Dame’s starting lineup returning for 2015, the Irish spent spring practice knowing what their team would look like. But for Brian VanGorder and new secondary coach Todd Lyght, getting improvement out of the returning depth chart was critical.