Aug 15, 2011, 5:37 PM EST
Last season, the Irish were plagued by depth issues at safety. A healthy depth chart, and reinforcements from freshman like Eilar Hardy were supposed to solve that problem.
But news is breaking that the Irish may have suffered their first major injury of fall camp, with both IrishIllustrated.com and BlueandGold.com reporting that freshman safety Eilar Hardy has torn the LCL in his left knee. The injury likely means Hardy will miss the entire season rehabilitating the injury.
Hardy, an Ohio native that had scholarship offers from schools like Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa and Arizona, impressed early in camp with his athleticism, and was in the mix on special teams while providing depth at safety behind Harrison Smith, Jamoris Slaughter, Zeke Motta, Dan McCarthy, and Austin Collinsworth.
Hardy joins running back Cam Roberson and offensive lineman Lane Clelland as Irish football players lost for the season with injuries. There has been no official statement yet out of Notre Dame.
- And in that corner… The USC Trojans 40
- Secondary depth chart reaches red-line status 14
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Louisville 96
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 246
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94