Aug 26, 2011, 1:44 AM EST
Even with his son Skip returning to South Bend to coach against a team he supported as a student, player and coach, you won’t find Lou Holtz in South Bend next weekend. He’ll stay as far away from South Bend as his day job will take him, as Dr. Lou will stay with his brethren in Bristol instead of returning to Notre Dame Stadium, a place that memorializes Holtz with a statue outside its stadium walls.
Holtz, long the loudest and most ardent supporter Notre Dame has on the airwaves, is finally putting a team in front of his beloved Fighting Irish.
And you can hardly blame him.
“If somebody said you’re picking an upset, I’d say, that’s not an upset, an upset is what his mother would be if I picked against her son,” Lou said last week at a fundraiser in South Florida. “There’s no way in the world I’d cheer against my son. Make no mistake, I want the world to know, I am for the South Florida Bulls.”
Here’s the video proof for all those who couldn’t believe that Holtz would pick against the Irish.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 55
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (73)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)