Even with love for Irish, Lou Holtz picking South Florida

Aug 26, 2011, 1:44 AM EST

Lou Holtz

Even with his son Skip returning to South Bend to coach against a team he supported as a student, player and coach, you won’t find Lou Holtz in South Bend next weekend. He’ll stay as far away from South Bend as his day job will take him, as Dr. Lou will stay with his brethren in Bristol instead of returning to Notre Dame Stadium, a place that memorializes Holtz with a statue outside its stadium walls.

Holtz, long the loudest and most ardent supporter Notre Dame has on the airwaves, is finally putting a team in front of his beloved Fighting Irish.

And you can hardly blame him.

“If somebody said you’re picking an upset, I’d say, that’s not an upset, an upset is what his mother would be if I picked against her son,” Lou said last week at a fundraiser in South Florida. “There’s no way in the world I’d cheer against my son. Make no mistake, I want the world to know, I am for the South Florida Bulls.”

Here’s the video proof for all those who couldn’t believe that Holtz would pick against the Irish.

1. bernhtp - Aug 26, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Lou fails the test of Abraham; he favors blood over God.

2. mattnef - Aug 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I love Lou Holtz! This is the absolute right call for him. Though you can tell his heart is behind it, but his head knows the truth.

3. ndgoose - Aug 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM

What father wouldn’t pull for his son. I’d be more upset if he didn’t go with South Florida to win it.

• thepiper3 - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Bobby Bowden and his wife. When Florida St used to play Clemson (coached by son Tommy), Bowden’s wife used to crow really loud that she was rooting for the ‘Noles and hoped Bobby would “whoop up on Tommy”.

Well he did enough. As did others. And now Tommy is out of a job.

4. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Lou’s public comments on this game belie where his heart really is……..with the Irish. If Irene cuts my power, I can only hope we’re back up by kickoff on 9/3.

5. oldestguard - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Love and respect Lou – always !!

6. tcboxer - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Say it ain’t so, Lou

7. denardsbig10inchdong - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM

holtz is racist.
    holtz is being held up by popsicle sticks and elmers glue
    michigan will run all over ND.

• papadec - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

What a stupid thing to say. Do you realize how that reflects on you & other Michigan fans? Michigan may, or may not, “run all over ND”. They may, or may not, win the game. But, I know Michigan alums & former players, that would be ashamed of what you said about Dr. Holtz.

• trbowman - Aug 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM

denardsbig10inchdong, huh?

lol

8. scardino - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM

He’s rooting for South Florida but he’s betting on the Irish.

9. papadec - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

This will probably be the only time we see Mark May pick the Irish & Dr. Lou not.

• brandonthinks - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I finally understand why all the cool kids use the abbreviation LOL. This comment seriously made me Laugh Out Loud!!!………….man…..that was funny, cheers! GO IRISH!!!

10. joeschu - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Much love to Lou for this one. Someone who lives the spirit of The University knows that family is deeply at the core of who we are. God, Country, Notre Dame clearly has room for family, and as a father, I can tell you Lou wants Skip to win with every ounce of his heart.