Aug 26, 2011, 1:44 AM EDT
Even with his son Skip returning to South Bend to coach against a team he supported as a student, player and coach, you won’t find Lou Holtz in South Bend next weekend. He’ll stay as far away from South Bend as his day job will take him, as Dr. Lou will stay with his brethren in Bristol instead of returning to Notre Dame Stadium, a place that memorializes Holtz with a statue outside its stadium walls.
Holtz, long the loudest and most ardent supporter Notre Dame has on the airwaves, is finally putting a team in front of his beloved Fighting Irish.
And you can hardly blame him.
“If somebody said you’re picking an upset, I’d say, that’s not an upset, an upset is what his mother would be if I picked against her son,” Lou said last week at a fundraiser in South Florida. “There’s no way in the world I’d cheer against my son. Make no mistake, I want the world to know, I am for the South Florida Bulls.”
Here’s the video proof for all those who couldn’t believe that Holtz would pick against the Irish.
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 6
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 38
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 90
- Irish A-to-Z: Jaylon Smith 15
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58