Severe storms and lightning delay ND-USF at half

Sep 3, 2011, 5:56 PM EST

IMG_0009

More than a few snarky fans have called it Divine Intervention. But with the Irish trailing at halftime 16-0, the football game has been delayed due to severe thunder and lightning storms rolling through the South Bend area.

In a bizarre scene, the entire stadium has been cleared, with fans being evacuated and put into nearby academic buildings, while the weather rolls through town. On a humid day that was one of the hottest season openers in recent memory, the weather shifted just after kickoff, coinciding with the Irish offense derailing itself inside the Bulls’ five yard line.

After a surgical drive down the field that included by big plays by Cierre Wood and Michael Floyd, Jonas Gray was stripped by Jerrell Young as he charged for the goal line. The fumble was recovered by Kayvon Webster and returned 96 yards for a shocking touchdown to start the scoring.

From then on, it’s been a series of Irish mistakes, including a touchdown taken off the board because of a Floyd hold, followed by a poor decision by Dayne Crist that resulted in a interception deep in the end zone by DeDe Lattimore. The Irish added their third turnover in the half when Theo Riddick muffed a punt return, giving the ball to the Bulls at the Irish twenty yard-line.

Running off the field at half, Skip Holtz felt like the Bulls, while taking a 16-point lead to the locker room, didn’t get as much as they could out of their chances.

“We’re playing a physical brand of football, that’s part of what we do,” Holtz told NBC’s Alex Flanagan. “I just hate that we’ve had so many opportunities and not been able to capitalize on them.”

The weather delay at Notre Dame Stadium is 45 minutes and counting. Western Michigan and Michigan are also delayed, with the Wolverines leading 20-10 in the third quarter.

1. blahblahblah333 - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

The way the Irish have preformed in the 1st half, a severe weather delay was the best thing that could have happened to them.

2. notredave - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Beating ourselves. I feel gutted right now.

• brandonthinks - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I feel you. I almost clicked the thumbs up on your post…..but I didn’t wanna give thumbs up to that hard to swallow truth pill. Positive thinking time…….they can’t possibly play worse in the second half…..only place to go is up.

3. brandonthinks - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I don’t think I’d go as far as saying divine intervention, but maybe its finally a little luck of the Irish. I will say, after that insanely embarrassing first half, the extra time off the field can’t hurt the Irish’s chances of regrouping and trying to turn this thing around.

The announcers showed us the bigger part of the storm that’s following what already hit at the stadium, it could go north of them or could run right threw South Bend. If that’s the case, and they end up calling the game due to weather…..what happens next? Do they reschedule a second half at a later date? do they play the whole thing over again? Does Notre Dame take a loss, a draw? Any info on that would be great to know.

Quote: “They need to stop trying to wake up the echo’s and they need to wake up them boys that are on the field right now!” – My friends 81 year old grandmother right after Crist’s INT in the end zone.

• jg1970 - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM

They could use some Dan Devine Intervention!

4. txbeej - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

The way Notre Dame’s offense is performing, 16 is as good as 60, but yeah, South Florida should’ve done more with their myriad chances.

• oldestguard - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Hopefully that was a season’s worth of garbage we dumped in the 1st half.

Crist….time to take charge.

5. massivedick - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I am sure glad it started raining
    Really glad
    I think god did this
    Sure bet he is watching
    Hope SoFla does not continue to hand NDs a$$ to them

SoFla won the Muffler Bowl last year
    U think we should beat them
    Could be a bad start
    Keep up the good work

6. 1118fan - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Can someone PLEASE tell the announcers where Notre Dame is located?? They keep drawing a circle & saying we’re underneath the T in South Bend on their map– that’s Laporte!! How insulting. Why I usually turn the sound off & just watch the game. I wish I could earn what they do & be that ignorant!

• massivedick - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I think Laporte should feel insulted to be mixed up with Souf Bend

7. latenightqb - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

God is not happy with ND football today. Go Irish!

8. barneysbullet - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Keith – I think u meant to say “Devine Intervention!”

9. oldestguard - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Let’s go, Tommy !

10. crturner84 - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM

They need to put in Rees. Crist just doesn’t have it never should have changed something that was never broken

11. notredave - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Tommy getting the rock. If we pull this out, there may be a new sheriff in town. We have got to win this game!!

12. crturner84 - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Playing like this we want even make it to a bowl and Michigan is going to kill us next

13. latenightqb - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM

The Irish just needed a snack and nap time. Go Irish!

14. papadec - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM

THE DEFENSE kept us in this game. Now that the offense has managed to score, maybe we can pull this game out.

15. misterhorsey - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:23 PM

My children are very upset watching this telecast.

Watching a purple-faced, profanity-hurling Brian Kelly berating his players on the Notre Dame sidelines has them very confused about how coaches are supposed to act. I really don’t have the answers, but I’m sure that it will be a topic at our youth meeting after Mass tomorrow.

• blahblahblah333 - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Coaches having been cussing since the invention of football. This politically correct crap has got to stop. If I had put as much time and effort into this game only to have so many ridiculous turnovers and mistakes, I would be angry and purple too.Whats the man supposed to do? Give em a big cozy hug and a kiss and say, “Golly geez fellas…we sure will get em next time! Aw shucks fellas, that interception in the endzone is just fine.” Lot of of pressure on Kelly to win, not worry about offending people. Its also funny too…my kids have watched lots of football games and not once did they tell me they were disgusted when a coach goes off. Go watch a freeze tag match or something.

• footballace - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM

What are they confused about? This is major college football, not Pop Warner football. If a player messes up coach Kelly cant put his arm around the player and say “Dont worry about it Billy, I’ll take you out for ice cream after the game to make you feel better”

Tell your kids that every coach has a different style of letting his players know when they make a bad play.

16. gershonpsu - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM

ND over-rated once again.

17. irishchief84 - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I think its safe to say south Florida didn’t win this game notre dame lost it

• txbeej - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM

They won the game by not killing themselves with mistakes. Forcing turnovers and not turning it over yourself are part of what makes a good team good. Very much a deserved win for USF, very much a deserved loss for Notre Dame.

18. txbeej - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Kelly and the team have some hard questions to face. It will be easy for this season to spiral out of control and for the recruiting to go into the tank. It’s a little cruel, how Crist’s career has played out, with the injuries perhaps being to blame for his lack of development, but he should be buried on the depth chart from here on out and not invited back for a fifth year.

Very disheartening all the way around.

19. notredave - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Enough with the weather delays. Just end it already. This one hurts. Hurts bad.

20. blahblahblah333 - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM

A disgusting display of mistakes upon mistakes, especially from a veteran team and in their home stadium. ND does not have any type of home field advantage. As a matter of fact it went away along time ago. If this does not change in a hurry, it could be ugly quick with this early schedule. Was more excited about this Irish team than I have been in a long time. I will never be like that again. They have a lot of proving to do to us Irish fans.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

• brandonthinks - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I couldn’t agree more. This was such a head scratch’r today.

I never thought that I would say something like this about ND, but I really do agree with you. They owe their devoted fans, their University and each other, a lot better then this. It doesn’t have to be a one-sided victory every Saturday with a National Championship year after year….but damnit, us ND fans are the most abused and hated fans in college football today and we stand up for our team just like we would stand up for a friend or family member! Like the saying goes, you either Love ND or you HATE ND, and that’s exactly how it is.

This teams effort, discipline and focus just went right out the window as soon as USF ran the fumble back for a TD on the opening drive. Every single one of them and that includes Brian Kelly. I get it, you yell at your players – show me a good coach who doesn’t – so I understand that getting in a players face now and again is par for the course. But you are also the face of Notre Dame football and the most nationally influential televised person this school has. So instead of just looking like a coach who didn’t have his players prepared today, you instead looked like a Nut Job on the brink of an aneurysm… who didn’t have his players prepared today.

As an ND fan, this has been one of the hardest games to watch that I’ve ever experienced. They need to fix this and fix it now. Period. If they are unable to or don’t take the necessary steps like they should to get better, this will just be another .500ish season in the record books that fell well below everyone’s expectations and predictions. Who knows maybe those folks that make fun of all of us “delusional ND fans” are right…

21. ndtod - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM

The whole thing is embarrassing. At least w/ Tulsa, we had the excuse that Crist went down for the year. What’s our excuse this time? Jonas Grey doesn’t know how to protect the ball? TJ Jones doesn’t know to look up? We miss chip shot field goals? I am happy for Skip and for Lou.

22. barneysbullet - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Hey Keith… if USF is ND’s 7th toughest opponent this year, that means we’ll go 6-7 this year…right? I need to stop drinking the kool-aid…just sayin’

23. 1historian - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Notre Dame was outhit, outplayed, outcoached and so they were outscored and they looked pathetic. It seemed to me that every time the camera found Kelly he was red in the face from yelling at someone and we ALL saw how much good that did.

While on the other side of the field Holtz kept his cool and SO DID HIS TEAM.
    Keep Rees as the starter and Hendrix 1st guy in after that. Crist is a good kid and all that but he is NOT a leader and that is what the team needs.

The defense looked good.

24. 1historian - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Hopefully they can’t play any worse than they did today and hopefully Kelly will admit at least to himself what a lousy job he did to get them READY for USF.

This was about as big a helping of humble pie as I have ever seen them have to swallow, and I have been watching them for almost 50 years.

They CAN’T be as bad as they looked.

Can they?

25. smurphdoggy29 - Sep 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

brandonthinks – I couldn’t agree with you more.

This is the display I have been mumbling about from the first time I signed on here.

The first drive the players were showing good forward production. Then the strip, and since, nothing. Floyd, take away the hold, has produced as did Cierre Wood, and the Offensive line. Crist and all the others, not so much.

Defensively they did okay, about what you expect in an Opener. Yet did anyone notice the number of times Fleming got himself in a contorted position because he bit on hip shakes, please. Overall the defense did decent.

Return game, they shoot horses when they come up lame.

Punter, say hello to the folks at Greyhound on your way outta town, leave voluntarily please.

For those taken aback by Kellys reactions, this is serious business people, and just look at the sidelines for the rest of the year ANYWHERE in College football, and look at the past, and you’ll find that same vision played out innumerably. Why you ask ? Because as the Head Coach his charges completed deflated right in front of him, they failed in their effort collectively after months of preparation. Dropped passes, lack of comprehension, and loss of focus come down to the players.

Kelly and Staff have the right to be angry, and display it. As for the language, we can’t hear it, but you can read lips. That can be left out, but the reaction it is warranted.

Keith if (as noted above) was one of the lower rated “tough” games, then on paper we are in big trouble.

Brandonthinks and I have noted, these players, Coaches, and Administration need to pay it forward to the fan base, on one account: Our devotion. We stand for them time and again, and face incredible derision from the masses. They do as well, don’t get me wrong, yet what reward are we to expect if we don’t at least get regularly competitive teams. If they don’t “owe” us the chance to be proud of them by putting up some victories we can hang our hat on, then why should we devote our allegiance to them?