Lynch adds another level to Irish pass rush

Sep 21, 2011, 4:50 PM EST

aaron lynch Sack

Aaron Lynch has always had a flair for the dramatic. Whether it was a recruiting battle that played out like a Friday Night Lights episode, his eye-popping performances in the Army All-American Bowl and the spring’s Blue-Gold game, Lynch came to campus with lofty expectations heaped on him by anybody that followed the Irish.

Brian Kelly and Bob Diaco did their best to tamp down expectations, preaching a dedication to the system and his assignments over utilizing his natural abilities. But at six-foot-six, 265-pounds, Lynch looked ready to contribute immediately and walked onto campus as the best pass rusher on the Irish roster.

After two gameplans kept Lynch’s contributions to a minimum, the freshman was unleashed against Michigan State, playing both inside and out in three and four man alignments. The results spoke for themselves.

Lynch had five tackles, a sack with a forced fumble and six quarterback hits. To put that in perspective, Lynch’s quarterback hits total were been better than the team totals for every game the Irish played last season expect against Utah, when the Irish collectively had eight. In other words — Lynch did more damage getting after the quarterback than the Irish defense did collectively in 12 out of 13 games last season.

Here’s a look at some of the work Lynch did last Saturday, terrorizing the Spartans at the line of scrimmage from both tackle and end positions.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

1. jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

WOW! That’s about all I can say.

• nudeman - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I finally watched this. Until this point all I saw was hist 1st sack where there was a missed blocking assignment.
      I can’t believe the SPEED here.
      Moves like he’s about 185 lbs.

Please, keep this kid healthy.

2. smurphdoggy29 - Sep 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM

So what can or do you say about Lynch ?

Wait until he is polished ?

Whew, very impressive.

3. tradertrik - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Glad he’s on our defensive front. Man……….

4. 1notredamefan - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Shut I could do that…..nobody was even blocking him!!

• papadec - Sep 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM

1ndfan – you need to ventilate your garage when using the glue – go back and look at how he got past bigger blockers.

• oldestguard - Sep 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM

papa, 1ndfan’s ” tweaking” nudeman from that posting nudeman made a few days ago regarding the video of that Lynch sack. Nude said that he could have made the sack.

Lynch can shed and shred…. an unleashed beast !

If this is the profile of player that Kelly is after…good lord, we are in for a great ride !

• nudeman - Sep 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM

That’s correct.
        57 years old and a metal hip and I had the balls to say that

Seriously though; this kid is going to be a friggin’ monster
        I can’t remember the last time we had something like him since Walt Patulski

5. bernhtp - Sep 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I don’t think they will be showing this video to Sunseri in film study; he might not show up.

6. gatordomer - Sep 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Lynch’s performance in the Michigan State game, which should have not been a surprise to anyone, begs the question, which I have not heard asked of Coach Kelly: why didn’t he play Lynch in the fourth quarter of the Michigan game? As a result of not playing Lynch (or Tuitt) the defense ran out of gas and put no pressure on Robinson in the fourth quarter. One sack, or even one hurry, and ND wins. Lynch never played a down. An argument can be made that despite the turnovers and penalties, if Lynch plays, ND wins.

• dmacirish - Sep 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM

An argument could be made that if the secondary made the correct assignments ND wins. An argument, not a very logical one, could be made that if 1notredamefan plays ND wins. There are plenty of arguments that could be made that despite the turnovers and penalties this could have happened and ND wins but the glaring fact is that the turnovers and penalties are what cost ND the game. A team never loses because of the field goal kicked while time expires, they lost because of the other 59:59 part of the game. We need to move on, move to the future, realize that BK is a great coach and we will be winning. Lynch would not have been the savior walking on water tackling Denard as he sprinted by. I do think Lynch is a wonderful player and has great potential but a pass rusher is only so good against a running quarterback.

• mattnef - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I believe Kelly did address this, saying that Lynch and Tuitt didn’t play because against Robinson the most important thing is to be assignment correct, and the freshman couldn’t be trusted to maintain the proper assignment. I think will see them consistently now, but I wonder what they do with them against the academies. I think by then they will have enough experience to handle their assignments. And not sure how academy offensive lineman could do anything to stop them.

• mattnef - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM

7. notredave - Sep 22, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Ha…I could be wrong, but I believe 1notredamefan was being sarcastic with his post. Shame on you guys for not catching that. :) I’m not going to get any thumbs down for this post am I? Remember, I’m sensitive.

Anyway….yeah, this kid is going to be special if he stays the course.

• papadec - Sep 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Hey notredave – you don’t seriously believe that I think 1ndfan is out in his garage sniffing glue – do you? I caught the “tweak” and thought I’d have some fun with it.

8. 1notredamefan - Sep 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM

…..yes to the “tweak”….

I was thinking earlier about this kid and I’m delirious! Just wait untill this “D” really starts gellin, can you see the other teams game plan goin to hell when they realize they can’t double team Manti, Aaron, and Tuitt? Even if it takes a year to completely come together? The secondary could practically be non-exist!

We sure do have something special brewin and Championship teams are made on the backs of kids half these guys caliber!!

9. 1historian - Sep 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

2 points to be made:

1) This team is 3/8 Kelly players – 1/2 of the 2010 recruits and all of the 2011 class. The other 5/8 of the team are Weis players.

2) I can just imagine FSU fans watching the Michigan State game and cussing blue streaks.