Shamrock Series box finds the right home

Nov 15, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT

Brooks Family

It wasn’t exactly under the radar, but on the official Facebook page of Notre Dame Football, they gave away a Shamrock Series Promo Box, a limited edition collectors item that would’ve turned your opinion on last weekend’s uniforms pretty quickly.

The beautifully designed treasure chest — only eleven were made and designed by Adidas — contain the Irish’s shamrock helmet, their green jersey and gloves, and a bunch of other cool goodies like collectors pins, a gold iPod nano, and some golden noise-canceling headphones.

Notre Dame decided to give one box away to a fan that posted the best photo and explanation of why they deserved the box. Their selection of the Brooks family from Hampton, Virginia is a tough one to argue with.

Here’s the caption to accompany the above photo:

“My husband (huge ND fan) is in the military and serving a one year tour in Korea. When the game doesn’t air over there, he skype calls us and we have to turn the computer towards the tv so he can still watch the game. That’s dedication! This is our son watching the Irish with his dad…half way around the world!”

Having scrolled through about 500 of the photos, there was no shortage of true Irish fans in the running for the box. Tattooed bodies, in-home shrines, you name it, there were Irish fans deserving. But just one look at the photo lets you know that the Adidas box is going to the right home.

Great job by the group at ND Football putting together an awesome promotion. Hopefully the entire Brooks family will be able to enjoy the collection together in the very near future.

1. dickasman - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Cute story bro. Niceee…Me likey….Who got the other 10? ND execs? Why did they only make 11? in support of tommy rees?

• miked8577 - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM

They made 1 box for each championship they have.

• fitz79 - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Do us all a favor and go away, loser. I bet you’re a USC fan in hiding.

• TriniND - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:28 PM

That’s actually the reason they only made eleven, so…. yeah

• NotreDan - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I’ve decided, and I encourage other’s to join me, that as long as this blog allows this filth to post, I ain’t participating.

Keith, I’ll check back, but any forum that allows this a-hole to keep posting, doesn’t deserve the attention of true Irish fans.

• jommy995 - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Just one man’s opinion, but I say boo to those who try to bully bloggers into banning others. Putting up with idiots is part of sharing the planet. Keith gets to call the shots on this small cyber island that is his. The rest of us have only visitors’ rights.

• irish4222 - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Honestly, what he said wasn’t that inflammatory. I’m sure you’re speaking with some other posts of his in mind but this comment is mild.

• nudeman - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Doesn’t like what someone posts so tries to get him booted
        How classy; how typically NotreDan
        I’m guessing the blog here survives his departure.

A shade less shocking than when the Deputy Undersecretary of Underwear resigned the Obama Administration

Please leave a forwarding addr

2. seanb20124 - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM

What no sports bars in Korea? Maybe time zone issues, but congrats and who got the other 10??

• mag1631 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM

There are a lot of restrictions on the military while in South Korea. Depending on what camp you are stationed at it can be even more restricting. You must submit a request for a pass if you want to travel a certain distance from camp or stay away overnight. Without a pass I think the options outside camp would be fairly limited. I was at one of the bigger camps and there definately was not a place that I was aware of in the city outside the gate. Or it came back to restrictions again or just not knowing the area. Depending on the camp there may or may not be an on-camp bar/restaurant. If there is…then it is likely to only have one or two televisions and a good chance that it is being used for another game. Time zone I think is 13 hours ahead of Eastern time.

3. smurphdoggy29 - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM

OK I’ll admit it, just like with Ol Yeller, I cried, what a great story !!
    Excellence all around !!
    That’s why I am a Notre Dame Fan, stuff like that !!

I am with you NotreDan.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Amen to that Smurph!

4. bernhtp - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Wasn’t the game streamed over the internet by NBC?

5. norcalirish - Nov 16, 2011 at 6:33 AM

“…a limited edition collectors item that would’ve turned your opinion on last weekend’s uniforms pretty quickly.”

Hate to be a debby downer but I saw that box the day it was announced on fb, spent some time looking at it and moved along. Didn’t change my opinion on the embarrassing uniform one bit.

That being said, I happened to see this same story on fb earlier, and it looks like the box is going to a good home. Safe returns to our men and women overseas and comfort to those they have left behind on the homefront. Cheers.

God
    Country
    Notre Dame

6. irish4222 - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Awesome story – thanks for sharing Keith!

7. runners00 - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I’ve been a Notre Dame fan since, I suppose, since Steve Beuerlein (I may have watched before this, but can’t recall the quarterback). I love the Shamrock uniforms. Would I want them to replace the classic ND uniforms each week? Of course not. But I love how they looked on a Saturday night in the nation’s Capitol. They’re classy, but fun, optimistic but strong. Imagine feeling the blow of a Manti T’eo in green. Must have been awesome for the kids.

There is something fun about the color of these uniforms and those really cool shamrocks. Go Irish!

As for the guy in Korea, I think it’s great he watched the Irish with his kid. Even if he asks me a million questions, I know I love to watch ND with my four-year-old. I dream of him attending Notre Dame, a special place where I was not quite bright enough to land, and I dream of being a 50-something-year-old Dad, flying in to South Bend to watch the Irish tackle the Trojans. That is what is so appealing about the guy in Korea. Sure, he might be able to sit in a sports bar in Korea, but his little boy is half-way around the world, alone and wishing to spend time with Dad.

• oldestguard - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM

nice post, runners,

It’s honest words like yours that keep me coming back here to to enjoy the “ND Flavor “.

8. nattaggart - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM

That was a great story. Good to see dedicated Notre Dame fan! To the family of that man our thoughts and prayers are with you for a safe return of your husband/father. God Bless. GO IRISH!!!!