Live blog: Notre Dame vs. Boston College

Nov 19, 2011, 3:36 PM EST

Michael Floyd 3

On paper, this game looks as lopsided as any the Irish have played. But with Boston College coming to town and emotions running high on Senior Day, anything can happen this afternoon as the Eagles and the Irish battle.

That the Irish have already lost three games and are most likely out of BCS contention has certainly diminished the stakes throughout the second half of this season. But after starting 0-2, the Irish have come back to win seven of their next eight, and are only one of three teams (Georgia and Ball State being the others) to have a winning record after the slow start.

As usual, you’ll have two ways to follow the game with me. You can ask questions and watch the game live via the NBCSports.com video player, where you’ll have HD quality video and a DVR at your disposal. Or you can stick around here for the live-blog, where we always have a good time.

It’s the final home game of the year for the Fighting Irish. Let’s see if they can take care of business and dispatch of Boston College.

***

1. r2row - Nov 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Can you Imagine if we had a Quaterback? We need a Faster Pace Coach.

• cosmkdbree - Nov 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Yep……Playing the bottom 3 of 4 teams in the ACC. That makes UND great! Try playing Clemson.

• jomilly - Nov 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM

wake was a descent win, but cant say too much else.

• alsatiannd - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM

You mean the Clemson that just got their asses kicked by NC State? Clemson was one player just like Michigan is one player. At least all the Rees bashers have to admit ND is not just one player. They’re a team.

• nudeman - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I swore off bashing Tommy Rees a week ago.
      So I’m not allowed to say anything about his lack of arm strength, mobility and accuracy just KILLING them.

They should have CRUSHED this team, but … tape over mouth … drumming fingers … pushing keyboard away … going for a cocktail

Sigh …

Please, Golson and Hendrix – DO NOT TRANSFER

• nudeman - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM

One other thing: Where was Tuitt today? I never saw him in there.
      Please don’t tell me he got suspended again.

• tkleiber - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

tuitt’s got the flu, took this game off

2. r2row - Nov 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Hope # 25 is Okay.

3. jomilly - Nov 19, 2011 at 7:01 PM

we have 2 qbs there only allowed to send plays in though, cant figure it out

4. txbeej - Nov 19, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Looked like one of Weis games against BC. They drop eight or nine into coverage and Notre Dame’s offense grinds to a halt.

5. 9irish - Nov 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I couldn’t figure some of it out (I missed some in the middle of it) They just drive straight down on the first drive and then kinda sputter. (I will say that Tom Selleck did a good job for BC)

6. 10of14 - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Ha! Right buddy, Clemson looked world class today. Move on……

7. irishman72 - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Hate to say this and might get killed for it here but if ND plays like that next week they will lose by 30! What happend to the fast tempo of last week? I really thought they were gonna lose because the kept them in the game and it was way too close for comfort. Keep your head up J Grey and thank you for all you did for us this year, get too work and have a sold nfl career……I am hearing that D Cryst may go to Ohio State????? Anybody else hearing this?????

• nudeman - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I have heard Crist might go to – get ready for this – Akron.
      Apparently Powlus and Ianello are at there.
      Wouldn’t be a bad move. Would almost certainly bve the starter and could pile up huge stats and emerge as a high round draft pick

I have not heard OSU, but they absolutely need a QB

Also, some talk that he could go to Florida, since Charlie is there, they need a QB and Dayne knows the offense.

One place he WON’T be: ND

• 9irish - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I have no intel on the Crist matter, but someplace like Akron would seem more likely. No idea. They just seemed flat. shouldn’t be able to shut down an offense like that.

8. irishking - Nov 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

ND played a horrible game and they were lucky to pull out a win. I give them zero chance to beat Stanford and I mean zero, especially with Jonas Grey apparently now out.

• ndirish86 - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Zero chance – really? C’mon, this is college football, teams play inspired one week and down to their competition the next. See: Texas Tech vs Oklahoma, Iowa St vs OK State, etc etc. What’s different this year is we still win when we play down to the competition – a huge improvement from the last few years. Yes it will take an inspired performance to hang with Stanford, but if you are so sure that’s impossible, then go find something better to do than posting ridiculous negativity here.

9. somebadhatharry - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Keith, what was up with the marshmellow tossing? I understand its probably some kind if tradition, but it was completely disrespectful how the fans just continued to throw them on the field and at their own players. that was embarassing to watch.

• alsatiannd - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Every final home game of the year is a marshmallow war in the student section. Anything that lands on the filed is a stray. Unless we’re talking about the Syracuse game. That was deserved.

• somebadhatharry - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Those weren’t strays, it was obvious the students were trying to get them onto the field and trying to hit players on the sidelines. If i was a player, I would have been pissed. (See Harrison Smiths quote).

10. somebadhatharry - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

guess I should say students and not fans….

11. alsatiannd - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM

And that’s why I hate BC. Never good enough to do anything but spoil things. I expect a weak team to do desperate things like drop 9 guys back in coverage. I don’t expect Stanford to play that way. They’ll feel they won’t have to do anything special, so ND will have a normal chance to go toe-to-toe with them.

Losing Gray on the other hand is a big problem. Atkinson better be ready to be next man in. No time to like next week to be legendary.

12. gracehall1980 - Nov 19, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Although there’s a lot of football to play, given what USC is currently doing of Oregon I may have re-evaluate ND’s performance a bit.

13. runners00 - Nov 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I expect the stronger teams to beat the crappy teams like BC by more than 2/3 of a field goal. That’s not a good showing. That said, anyone can have a bad game. We beat Pitt by two points, too, and I hardly think they’re stellar this year.

The trouble with home games — and senior games — is that the kids are so jacked. Their parents are in town. Their friends and neighbors get tickets and they spend time with them. You know — there are a lot of distractions. We’re not Penn State or Florida. Our players are human beings first, students second, and athletes third.

I’m frustrated with Rees. I’m disappointed we still don’t have a quarterback that can open it up. And if it’s true that Jonas has a torn ACL, it’s going to be a long week next time out in Palo Alto. Too bad. But, whatever, last year it took us till almost New Years to win our eighth game. We did it in November this year. And we’re 3-0 in November, no small feat even if the teams we beat are at the bottom of the ACC. Yes, we should have blown out BC (and I will say that the offense just really drove me nuts this week; completely nuts). But we won the game.

14. norcalirish - Nov 20, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Rofl @ the mallow war. I snuck in 13 bags (THIRTEEN BAGS) my sr year. Believe it or not it takes a cannon to get one on the field…most of those that made it probably had change (quarters, nickels, etc) mushed into them. I personally never aimed for our players, only for the NBC camera operators and the smick chicks, but I have seen the occasion moron just throw them at anybody. If you’ve never experienced it in person it’s a must see.