A special message from Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt

Dec 5, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT

In case you didn’t believe Brian Kelly when he said Stephon Tuitt was cleared to practice after a serious illness, the freshman defensive lineman joins his partner-in-crime Louis Nix to invite Irish fans to the upcoming Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando.

Next up, Louis Nix reads from DuLac. I’d still probably watch it.

1. Jennifer - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Keith, this post just made my day, and there’s a lesson here for me as well. These two great young players are absolutely giddy over playing in a bowl game. Regular season is over, and they’re going bowling! I’m hitch’n a ride on that enthusiasm! GO IRISH!

2. newyorknd - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Really great. How can you not root for these kids?

• dmacirish - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM

i agree with you completely however if you really want to know an answer to that question, look at some previous responses to keith’s posts especially nudeman’s bashes. we armchair fans sometimes forget how happy this might make the kids – you and jennifer got it pretty close to perfect on your posts. thank you for this keith.

• nudeman - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM

dmac

I always try to be balanced but this is a football blog. Nothing is personal. If this is only a board for rah rah and happy talk, like many others I didn’t get the memo.

FYI, I just posted about Tommy (on another story) that he is a good young man, gives ND all he has, and is not without his QB attributes. I’m glad he’s with ND; I just think that there are others on the roster who give them a better chance to take a step forward. What’s out of bounds about that?

By the way, Louis seems like one cool, happy kid. Stephon too. Glad to see he’s healthy again.

3. NDfan1224 - Dec 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

lol haha i love these guys and they should be excited FSU is another good opponent to play in a bowl game..

4. NDfan1224 - Dec 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

5. ndgoldandblue - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Keith, I love the video. I’m telling you, all I want for Christmas this year is a victory over Florida State. I don’t want to throw a wrench on the positive vibe, but I just read an article from Kyle Hightower of the Associated Press, who was focusing his article on graduation rates and academic progress rates.

According to a study that he’s reporting on, if the national championship was played between the two bowl teams with the highest graduation rate, it would be Notre Dame vs. Northwestern. He also said that, if the new 930 academic progress rate standard had been in place in March, 12 schools would not have qualified for the NCAA basketball tournament and seven teams, including Michigan and Louisville, would not have been eligible to play in this season’s bowls.

Growing up, I always admired the University of Notre Dame for their academic standards and athletic excellence. Moreover, I never liked Michigan, and I couldn’t figure out why. Yep, there it is.

6. norcalirish - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Certainly disappointed in the season…but ND vs fsu is not a bad bowl game. Not bad at all.

7. domer2003 - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I had told myself I didn’t care about the bowls this year… our season was a bit of a disappointment and the BCS is a disaster. But how could this not get me excited for this team? Hopefully i’ll be able to find a live feed of the game, since I’ll be out of the country when we play.

• 808raiderinparadise - Dec 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM

wow. ND has really fallen off … Kelly go this 2 years …. year 3 he needs to elevate his system players/recruits into the offense …. thats starts at QB … Rees is not his QB, niether was Crist, but it was clear nobody was ready deep than Hendrix.

Everett Golson …… the future.

If you thumbs down this comment you clearly don’t see what works in college football.

Atheltic QBs that can extend plays dominate in college:

Taylor Martinez (horrible QB, but makes plays)
      Tyler Wilson
      Denard Robinson
      Cam Newton, Tim Tebow on and on and on
      Pryor

………

Dual threat is the easiest way to win in college football.

unless you have an LSu defense or SEC line you can pound the ball and dink and dunk.

The spread is a game speed control

But Kellys offense wont go without a running QB.

• dmacirish - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:11 AM

i gave you a thumbs down for a couple of reasons, first being that i dont agree with you about needing a dual threat quarterback to win games in college – a fad doesnt make it so. the second reason is because this comment is not relevant to the actual post and answers the question asked in the second comment – “how can you not root for these kids” – answer be a nudeman or raider in paradise. relevant comments to this post would include “go irish!”, “we are happy for these kids”, “beat FSU”, even a “not what they had hoped for in the beginning of the year but they seem really excited so we are happy for them”. giving us your take on why tommy is not the answer is not relevant – go read something about the raiders.