David Ruffer: Rudy 2.0

Dec 7, 2011, 3:29 PM EDT

David Ruffer

Last year, David Ruffer went from anonymous walk-on to Lou Groza Award finalist, one of the more amazing stories in the college football world. After working his way into Notre Dame after getting rejected out of high school, Ruffer was discovered kicking in a interhall football game by the coaching staff. The rest is… well, history that’s already been told more than a few times.

Still, if you’ve got a spare seven minutes, NFL Films did a great story on Ruffer, his route to Notre Dame, his time as a member of the Siegfried Ramblers, and onto the Irish roster.

After making 18 of 19 last year, Ruffer’s numbers took a step back this year, converting 10 of 15 attempts this season.¬† Even more confusing, Ruffer’s misses were the easy kicks, with four of his five misses coming from under 40 yards, including a chip shot against USF and one against Stanford.

Regardless, NFL Films did a wonderful job of capturing one of the best stories in football, and a true testament to a student-athlete.

***

1. ndtoronto - Dec 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Kudos.

2. hihochopsuey - Dec 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I had the pleasure of taking a course with him. He’s a very bright kid the classroom. I only wish him a future of success!

3. bernhtp - Dec 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Another great Notre Dame story. This type of story is more important and a bigger part of Notre Dame’s identity than a Heisman.

• 808raiderinparadise - Dec 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Sure, nice story. That we all knew of a year ago.

Kicker storys are normally an indication of how bad your season was

• bostonjan - Dec 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Bah, humbug….and happy holidays to you too.

• irisheyesinsd - Dec 8, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Your bitterness makes it sound like you got that rejection letter, too. Ruffer turned his lemons into lemonade.

4. brendanunderscoreg - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I want the narrator to narrate my life.

• trbowman - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM

I want Michael C Hall to narrate my life.

5. rambler09 - Dec 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

David is a great guy and I’m glad that he has done so well. I love seeing so much of Siegfried in this video. I’m hoping this year’s guys will win another all sports trophy. Go Ramblers!!!