Shepard and Greenberry seem solid to Irish

Dec 21, 2011, 12:59 PM EST

Shepard Greenberry

It seems the rollercoaster recruiting ride of the last week for Tee Shepard and Deontay Greenberry has ended, with Irish fans sighing relief after the talented Fresno duo reaffirmed their commitment to the Irish after taking a weekend visit to Southern Cal.

Barton Simmons of 247Sports.com got the money quote from Shepard, who was a very wanted man on the internet over the past few days.

“I am enrolling at Notre Dame on Jan. 15,” Shepard told 247Sports. “I am not just pretty sure. I am. I guarantee it. I’ve been committed to Notre Dame for a long time now. I always knew where I wanted to go and I want to go there.”

There you have it. The Irish seem to have held onto one of their most important commitments at the cornerback position, and Shepard will have a chance to get a jump start on playing time this spring, hopefully counterbalancing the fact that Shepard lost his entire senior season because of a misinterpreted transfer rule.

Even better news, Shepard’s reaffirmation likely means his cousin will also be coming to South Bend. If Shepard is one of the most important defensive recruits, than Greenberry is by far the most important offensive recruit on the board, a perfect replacement for Michael Floyd with tremendous athleticism and jump ball skills.

Simmons had a chance to catch up with Greenberry as well, who understands the opportunities at Notre Dame.

“Michael Floyd is leaving so I know I can come in and play early, Greenberry told Simmons. “They just have a whole lot lined up for me and it’s an opportunity that I can’t miss.”

Both Shepard and Greenberry will be playing in an Irish heavy All-Star game, joining future teammates Sheldon Day, Mark Harrell and Justin Ferguson in the Semper Fidelis All-American game on January 3 in Phoenix.

1. newyorknd - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Great, great, great news. Both guys are must haves.

2. nudeman - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM

This is great news. BK and staff deserve HUGE credit here.
    Now I’d love to see Kiel in gold and blue.

IF he’s as good as advertised (IF IF IF) this is someone ND can’t whiff on. He probably increases the possibility that Agholor would commit. How great would it be to have Kiel, Mahone, Atkinson, Greenberry and Agholor as offensive talent for the next 3-4 years?

3. nudeman - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Sorry, I posted the above message in reply to a post about the # of scholarships OSU is losing.
    But apparently I posted in the wrong place, now can’t find the original messages on the topic.

Anyway 9 Total lost scholarships is correct

4. jonathanfesler - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

All I can say about these two commitments is “SWEET”!!! Should make the pot a little sweeter for Gunner Kiel! If his Uncle Blair is reading these, we all still love you up here in ND land!!!!

• bernhtp - Dec 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Gunner says he will choose by Christmas, which eliminates one risk: a psychological effect of a bad bowl performance against FSU.

Gunner also says he is choosing between Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and LSU. This is a bit confusing since the first two have a very different academic profile than the last. I guess it’s because LSU is super hot, has been very good for years, and is the favorite to win the championship this year.

• cgunnip - Dec 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Completely agree about ND and Vandy. Good thing about LSU is that as far as I can remember, they dont have a good track record of developing QB’s (JaMarcus Russell).

• bernhtp - Dec 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I don’t see the point about JaMarcus. He played great at LSU and Notre Dame made him look like the greatest QB since Montana, Elway, and Marino combined in the bowl. That’s why he was the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. I don’t have huge insight into his bust in the NFL, but I understand it was some combination of not being able to deal with the speed and complexity of the pro game, as well as a very poor work ethic.

• nudeman - Dec 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I work out at a health club with the guy who was Jamarcus’ agent coming out of LSU. A few nuggets:

1. Got an 8 on the Wonderlinc (sp?) test. To put that in perspective for you, Clausen got criticized for getting a 22, which I believe is slightly below average. 8 means you’re impossibly dumb. There’s no record of a major QB prospect (or even a minor one) getting an 8 before.

2. No one in the NFL besides Al Davis had Russell as a 1st round pick. For the Raiduhs to have taken him #1 overall, they got what they deserved.

3. The background checks on the guy before the draft were horrible. Purple drank, alcohol, pot, etc etc.

5. nudeman - Dec 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM

This cut and paste from ESPN.com on the scholarships for OSU:

• Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 over each of the next three seasons. Total scholarship reduction of nine.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/12/20/ohio-state-ncaa.ap/index.html#ixzz1hHqNQtTq

6. papadec - Dec 23, 2011 at 4:35 AM

nude – thanks for the sportsillustrated info. You’re right. A total of nine scholarships over three years. That is too light (in my opinion). I guess I read what I wanted the punishment to be. Although 9 each year would probably be too harsh. I don’t feel sorry for the osu players that are still there – they had to know what was going on.

7. irishbuckeye - Dec 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I’ve taken about 4 Wonderlic tests, and a score of 7 or below implies that you are illiterate. The test consists of 50 questions that get more difficult as you proceed. You are given 12 mins to finish as much as you can… I always found it hard to believe that Clausen would only get a 22… FYI Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 49 in only 9 minutes.

8. nudeman - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I think you’re both off on the OSU scholarship issue.

OSU had originally punished themselves a total of 5 scholarships.
    The NCAA added 4 more over the next 3 years for a TOTAL of 9.

My original reaction was this was a wrist slap; then again the infractions were pretty small, aside from Tressel lying about what he knew.

9. papadec - Dec 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM

nudeman – it’s a total of 9 per year. Not a wrist slap, but as Urban said – a sucker punch to the gut. If anyone sucker punched Urban, it was osu – not the ncaa.

10. nudeman - Dec 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

It’s 9 TOTAL

OSU had self imposed 5 (total) then the NCAA added 4 (total) over the next 3 years. Look it up. I did.