Notre Dame makes Elliott hiring official

Jan 21, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT

Bobby Elliott1

Notre Dame has announced the addition of Bobby Elliott as safeties coach, finalizing the defensive side of the ball and putting into place a veteran coach that’ll replace Chuck Martin’s coaching and leadership.

Elliott will team with co-defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach Kerry Cooks to work with a secondary that’ll need to replace Robert Blanton, Gary Gray and captain Harrison Smith.

“I couldn’t be more excited about bringing Bob Elliott to Notre Dame,” head coach Brian Kelly said in a statement. “At his core, Bob is an outstanding teacher and tactician. He has had great success developing top-tier defensive backs and his experience as a defensive coordinator will complement our coaching staff. Bobby has a long-standing relationship with Bob Diaco and Kerry Cooks so the transition to our staff should be extremely smooth. I know our safeties will love playing for him.”

In quotes released by the school, Elliott talked about his relationship with his former pupils Cooks and Bob Diaco, who he’ll now work with as they lead a defense that should lead the football team, as long as the secondary can hold up.

“The great thing about Kerry and Bobby is I come in with a total understanding of the character of these two guys,” Elliott said. “They’ve grown since I knew them before. They’re level of expertise is outstanding. They’ve ascended to the top of the coaching profession in the days we have been separated. I’ve actually used both of them as resources in my career in the last few years as well. Both of them have great ideas. Both of them have grown and matured and are outstanding coaches. The base fundamental of the character of those two guys is top shelf and that’s what led me to want to be back with them again.”

With less than two weeks to go until Signing Day, Elliott was candid about his role in finalizing this year’s recruiting class, turning his focus to the 2013 class and the players he’ll be coaching.

“I’ll have a limited role in this year’s recruiting class. This year’s class is pretty much done and there’s not much I could add to it,” Elliott added. “Recruiting is about relationships and trust. At this late of date I wouldn’t be able to help in those areas too much. I’ll get started on the next class ASAP. I’ve already started on it in my mind. I’ll look to get to know our current players. I’m really interested in getting to know our guys as much as I possibly can. I want to listen to them talk about themselves. I’m really looking forward to that next week.”

After spending most of his career in the state of Iowa, as well as an incredibly successful stop at Kansas State, the opportunity to head to Notre Dame, and to work with former players he’s stayed closed with for so long, proved too big of an opportunity to pass up.

“I grew up in the Midwest around the Big Ten and Big 12. Much of my coaching background and all of my experience is generated from Midwest football and Notre Dame is legendary. We are really excited to associated with this great place,” Elliot said.

“This was an opportunity to do something for my family that I just couldn’t pass up. It was one of those opportunities that you get once in a lifetime.”

1. irish2011 - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Great hire, this guy can flat out coach!

2. bat42boy - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Who cares. You should be putting on college basketball info and drop Notre Dame football stuff. Get a life and grow up.

• schuey73 - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM

If you’re going to make the effort to create an account to post here, at least TRY to be a little more creative or clever in your insulting!

There are several posters here that are negative, but at least they can be a little funny. Come on, put some thought into it!

3. barneysbullet - Jan 21, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Dear Keith,

Just a quick note from a fixated ITI follower/reader. Not to sound greedy as I know you’re a busy man, but could we have at least two posts a day instead of one every two days?

Florio and his two or three sidekicks over at PFT are pumping out posts every 5-10 minutes. Now I know they have a huge pool of info to pull from, but it’s fun to see a new post pop up when I hit the old refresh button, even when it’s something boring.

Now I’m sure you’d rather post only quality stories, AND BOY ARE THEY QUALITY, but I personally would rather read something boring about my Irish on occasion than nothing at all… ;)

So, hey…just more of a friendly challenge than anything else!! (again, I know you’re busy paying bills and so on)

Love ya brother…keep up the good work!

Indeed…GO IRISH

• papadec - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I prefer the quality over quantity. There are plenty of comments from the readers to satisfy the quantity. Anyone that wants more coverage on different ND sports can pay for a subscription @ Irish Sports Daily. You get quality & quantity at that location. But, Keith’s is my favorite location.

• 9irish - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

we are going into the boring season. I’ll make stuff up and post it every day or two.

One thing I will say…in our microscopic internet world now. All of that stuff about Michael Floyd. Sooo…a college student goes out and gets tanked and drives a mile home and gets caught? How shocking! That’s never happened before! Kind of getting ridiculous…the old “people that live in glass houses” thing comes to mind.

Everybody wants to make a scandal out of stuff that happens every day. I guess we are bored. Making something out of nothing (by the way, I’m pretty sure I could have drank him under the table when I was his age, 15 yrs ago, and I came out alright :)

Go Irish

• 9irish - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM

ehhh…I was grumpy when I wrote that. They handled it well…only point I was making was that he needed to be disciplined for that, but I, unlike some, did not think he was on his way to hell for drinking in college. That is all. Life moves very fast.

4. barneysbullet - Jan 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

…and BTW, I prefer IRISH FOOTBALL TALK!!! :)

5. irish2011 - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

@bat if u wanna know about ND BBall then go to their site this is about ND football you idiot!!

6. ct111 - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

ND football is so better than basketball. Keith keep up the good work covering ND football!

• papadec - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

ct111 – not always. That was one helluva win over ‘CUSE today!

• Jennifer - Jan 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

No kidding! Would LOVE to have been at that game!

7. seanb20124 - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM