Irish head down recruiting home stretch

Jan 23, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT

Nelson Agholor

Next Wednesday, thousands of college football fans around the country will wake up with it feeling like Christmas morning. That’s because after over a year of building relationships with high school prospects, fax machines across the country will get their annual workout as Letters-of-Intent roll into football offices, with Notre Dame expecting to receive fourteen letters (Sheldon Day, Gunner Kiel and Tee Shepard are already enrolled), with the potential to add another handful of elite players that could turn this class into one of the best in the country.

Next Wednesday, we’ll have a chance to roll out the players who have inked with the Irish. Until then, let’s take a look at the players still up for grabs.

With Gunner Kiel leaving LSU at the altar, the Irish managed to pull arguably the nation’s best quarterback into the fold at the eleventh hour, another amazing recruiting victory by Brian Kelly, who personally recruited Kiel for much of the process.

That said, if the Irish are going to move the needle at Signing Day, it’ll be because they added to their recruiting class with a last minute commitment from some of the most highly touted targets left on their board:

Nelson Agholor, WR: If there’s a big fish left on the offensive board, it’s Agholor. Unfortunately for the Irish, if they don’t end up reeling him in, they’ll likely still see him every season, as it’s looking more and more like Agholor could be heading to Southern California to play for the Trojans.

Agholor reminds me a bit of George Farmer, another all-everything recruit that ended up at USC, and bounced between running back and wide receiver this past season. Rivals.com has him in the top three at his position, among the top 20 players in the country, and he fits the academic profile of a Notre Dame student perfectly.

What he’d bring to ND: Teamed with Greenberry, Agholor would give the Irish the most celebrated recruiting class at the position in the country. (It can’t hurt that the Irish have been the landing spot for high profile transfers from both USC and Florida State, two finalists for Agholor’s services.)

Davonte Neal, WR: Notre Dame was able to get the first official visit for Neal, one of the Southwest’s premiere playmakers, who waited until after winning the Arizona state championship to take any official visits. The Irish are in good shape, but will likely battle through Signing Day for Neal, who plans on taking his time making a decision.

Expect Urban Meyer and the Ohio State Buckeyes to be the team to beat, with Neal having family in Ohio and getting the Meyer sales pitch that he’ll play the role of Percy Harvin. (That said, don’t count out Rich Rodriguez, now for the hometown Arizona Wildcats.)

What he’d bring to ND: It’s almost ridiculous to imagine the Irish landing both Neal and Agholor, giving the Irish three of the top players in the country at their position. Neal would immediately be the Irish’s most dangerous athlete in the slot, and his recruiting tape is about as impressive as it gets.

Arik Armstead, DL: What happens with Armstead (not to mention his brother Armond) is anyone’s guess. The mammoth prospect did the smart thing and passed up early enrollment, with just too many variables still in play. Already graduated, but not set to attend any school until summer, Armstead will likely attract visitors from every corner of the country, but Notre Dame will be there until the very end. As a two-sport athlete, Armstead will play basketball and football in college, and while talent evaluators can’t decide whether he’d be better on the offensive or defensive line, he’s the kind of prospect the Irish would just welcome in the door and figure out where to put later.

What he’d bring to ND: If Armstead ends up in South Bend, that’s another recruiting class where Notre Dame cherry-picks one of the nation’s top defensive linemen, after struggling to get anyone since what feels like the Holtz era. Armstead likely brings his brother Armond, who needs medical clearance for an undisclosed ailment, but is an NFL caliber defensive end with one year of eligibility remaining.

Ken Ekanem, LB: After loading up at the linebacker position, the Irish only have Romeo Okwara committed at the outside linebacker spot in the 2012 recruiting class. One name that might still jump on board is Virginia’s Ken Ekanem, a middle linebacker that tore his ACL during the state playoffs. The injury forced Ekanem to delay his official visit, finally set for this weekend. The Irish will likely battle Virginia Tech for Ekanem’s signature, and it still remains to be seen if they’re at a place where they’ll accept his commitment.

What he’d bring to ND: With Manti Te’o returning for his senior season, Ekanem would be a luxury item, and likely one that’d come to ND if the Irish miss on other targets that fill greater needs. Either way, Ekanem will likely spend 2012 getting healthy, especially with depth in the middle plentiful.

Ronald Darby, CB: Notre Dame long counted Darby among its most high profile commitments. But after staying true to his commitment for much of the process, Darby opened things up after the Under Armor All-American game, while still keeping the Irish in play along with Clemson, Florida State, and Auburn. Darby is among the fastest players in the country and Brian Kelly will be in his household to try and get Darby back in the fold.

What he’d bring to ND: If Darby ends up at Notre Dame, he’ll team with Tee Shepard to be the most impressive cornerbacking duo in the country (in terms of recruiting rankings). With both Gary Gray and Robert Blanton gone, Darby would step onto campus an immediate candidate for playing time and could make an instant impact on special teams as well.

Brian Poole, CB: The Irish haven’t given up on Poole, a commit to the Florida Gators who has built a strong relationship with Tony Alford. Poole is in that same stratosphere with Darby and Shepard, one of the best players in Florida and a guy that could also immediately challenge for playing time in South Bend. He’s reaffirmed his commitment to the Gators every time he’s been asked about it the media, but don’t expect the Irish to go down without a fight.

What he’d bring to ND: Another elite cornerback that’d immediately make a mark in the depth chart. If the Irish were somehow able to sign Darby, Shepard, and Poole, Irish fans should be dancing in the street.

Anthony Standifer, CB: Far from a backup plan, Standifer was long committed to Michigan before mutually parting ways with the Wolverines and opening back up his recruitment. The Illinois native was on campus last weekend, and it sounds like only a foreign language requirement (something he could pick up this spring) is in between the Irish and this 6-foot-1 cover cornerback.

What he’d bring to ND: Standifer might not come with the prestige of the guys we just listed, but he’s far from a program body and has offers from Pitt, Iowa, and Wisconsin — nothing to sneeze at. Standifer would give the Irish another versatile athlete at cornerback, helping solidify a spot with a lot of balls in the air.

1. dickasman - Jan 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM

***Reaches for a crackpipe***

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

***Reaches for a Crystal Meth pipe***

2. nudeman - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Live in AZ, know a little first hand re: Neal.
    Kid does NOT want to go to ND. Very, very longshot. Most likely will stay in State; ASU or UA.

Only ones listed here who ND has better than 50% chance at are Ekanem and Standifer.
    All others seem like longshots.

Agholor would be a real coup.
    Armstead doesn’t want ND.
    Darby seems to have checked out
    Poole is a “maybe” based on his favorable comments about Alford. But still less than 50%.

So I predict recruiting ends with a whimper, but still a decent class, especially with Kiel.

• leapingleprechaun - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Only thing I will say to that is Aaron Lynch and Stephon Tuitt…They were longshots last year as well…Oh yeah, forgot Kiel!
      Lets see what plays out on NSD….In any case we have a strong case. I do feel we can land at leats 2 of these and would still like to have Yuri….schuey…You are correct, Justin is an excellent Athlete that will couple very well with Greenberry…Glad to have him…

• Keith Arnold - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Nude,

You’ve been banging this drum for the last few weeks. Also know you’ve basically been sourcing Irish Illustrated as your reporting, even down to your percentages listed above.

We’ll obviously see what happens, but I find it hard to believe you can unequivocally say that “the kid does NOT want to go to ND…” when he took his first official to South Bend, has had in-homes with ND, and lists them among his favorites.

If you’re in play for a handful of the top 50 players in the country, you’re doing okay. You might not get them all, but I’m not sure how it helps for you just to state declaratively ND isn’t going to get these guys.

I’m not saying you’re wrong — I just don’t get the point of you going on here to write the same thing again.

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Keith,

He’s probably a natural pessimist like myself. I have been beaten up and hated so much in my life and my life is so boring, worthless and I hate my life so much so that I am a pessimist by nature, especially when I see 69 thumbs down after each of my posts. You know always thinking and saying negative because I don’t want to be hurt when positive does not happen. But really deep deep down, we are really hoping for the best. That’s all. To each their own.

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Hey guys, if you want to take your mindoff of recruiting for a bit, have a look at this….verrrrrrrry interesting! I did not know this existed at ND. I hope Yuri Wright doesn’t look at this because if he does, consider him signed.

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Melissa and Frenchy. I think I am going to start a new website inside the soccer and volleyball.

• paiten34 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Nude you’re dead wrong about Neal. I know the kid and have coached against him the last three seasons. He has had ND at the top of his list since the AZ season ended. He said he enjoyed his trip to ND and loves what this program offers. Now having said that he has gotten a ton of attention from Ohio State and even more from ASU and UofA. The fact is that ND is in very good shape to get many of these kids to sign. As for Darby if he leaves ND it will not be because of football but because of track. Darby from what i hear made some good friends with others going to ND and that along with the improvements to NDs coaching staff will keep Darby in the fold. In closing this coaching staff knows how to recruit.

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Paiten, you coached against him? Yeah right…probably as much as I drank tiger blood and smoked crack with Charlie WeiSheen. Post your paycheck stub from the school you get paid by?

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM

It doesn’t matter…I hope we get Agholor. If we get Nelson, Neal can go play at Scottsdale community college for all I care. Agholor is where it’s at.

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM

3 things

1) Dickasman, I consider myself a “realist” not a pessimist or optimist. On recruiting, I read from several sources, form opinions and try not to get too excited when someone says “I had a good visit to ND”. For a kid, getting on a plane and going ANYWHERE qualfies as “good”. Rarely does someone visit ND and say “Didn’t like it”; so you just can’t make too much of those comments in a vacuum.

2) It is highly likely, given the history, that Kelly will flip at least one of these kids. Hope it’s Agholor or Darby.

3) paiten34, you basically confirmed what I wrote re: Neal. He likes ND but both ASU and UA are determined to keep him in-state. On Darby, you wrote “from what I hear”. Can you elaborate on the closeness of the source(s)?

• paiten34 - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahaha dick, I could prove that I’ve coached vs Chaparral high school where Neal played for two years after transferring but what is the point. I’m not posting anything about the school I work for. You’ll just have to trust me that I’ve seen hours on end of this kid playing. That I’ve stood on the side line and watched him run past defenders. I’ll say that we beat Chaparral the year before he transferred but after that we lost the last 2 years. He was the reason Chap has been winning. The kid is that good.

• paiten34 - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Nude-

Concerning Neal going to ASU all I have to say is what myself and other coaches around the state told the recruiter ASU sent to our school. That is he was the first ASU rep we’ve seen in several years. ASU has forgotten the number one rule of recruiting, protect your back yard and keep your talented kids in state. ASU is way behind in recruiting in Arizona. As for Uof A they’ve hired Neal’s high school coach in a hope to lock down top AZ recruits.

• ct111 - Jan 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Nude, you just got owned!!

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Keith, like it or not they’ve been way out ahead of stories (Decker, Kiel, Armstead, etc) and have been right in almost every instance. In fact I can’t think of a major whiff on their part.

At one point I asked YOU “Do you think the Irish are still recruiting Kiel?” after his LSU announcement. You never replied. 10 days later, Kiel comes to ND. Irish Illus had the story, which they rightly qualified as “rumors” as early as Sunday. Maybe even Saturday. It was obvious they knew more than they were letting on, and had a source who was close to the Kiel family. Tuesday he enrolled. You reported it AFTER the fact.

So with that as a backdrop, would I NOT follow their info closely?

On Neal, my information had nothing to do with Irish Illus. I was careful to point out that it was NOT first hand info (I didn’t have a cup of joe with Davonte himself) but very solid 2nd hand. They said the kid’s father loves ND, and as paiten34 points out, so does Davonte. But he doesn’t want to go to ND.

Armstead – I have said for weeks now that it feels like he’s got ND at 2 or 3 on his list.

Etc.

We’ll see. Pound me all you want Keith. I’m just giving my considered opinions based on what I read in multiple places.More than just here and Irish Illustrated. If that’s unacceptable to you, let me know and I’ll stop posting here. I hope I’m 100% wrong and they get all these guys. With Kelly’s ability to flip guys at the 11th hour, a steal or two is a definite possibility.

• 9lirish - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Nude

Again and again you substantive comments are substance-less

Keith has stated numerous times, including yesterday, that he writes for all audiences and to stimulate (don’t get excited) comments – not participate in comments

Keith 100% accurately called you out on your mere regurgitation of your previous 100 posts supported by others information, i.e. II

where is your obligatory “hey 18 year old go F yourself” comment?

Enjoy your pounding!!

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM

91Irish

Thanks
        WIll do

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM

91Irish
        To you and others who feel like they need to stand up for these “poor, innocent, 18 year old kids being nationally recruited to play football on TV every Saturday and receive a free education”, I say THIS:

Lose your sanctimony.

18 year old kids don’t need YOUR protection on some anonymous sports blog
        They can handle it themselves just fine

• notredamegrad - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

It is not sanctimonious to express a desire for intelligent, respectful discussion – to encourage discussion that doesn’t insult the character of high school and college students who do not pursue football merely for our entertainment.

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

notredamegrad

This is one of 300 sports blogs in cyberspace
        None of this is scrolling across the bottom of CNN
        Not a Vatican II discussion either

Sometimes sports fans swear
        That’s fact

Sorry

Relax

• 9lirish - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM

couldnt have said it better notredamegrad

glad us ND grads can truly grasp the concept of student-athlete – this kids aren’t solely in some sort of public gladitorial competition to benefit the lonely nudes of the world…

• 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Don’t underestimate BK’s closing visit with any of these guys – The man – and his staff – can recruit with the best of them. If that were not the case Gunner Kiel would – as we speak – be eating crawfish pie.

• ct111 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hahaha nude said ” Pound me all you want Keith.” Classic!!!

• dmacirish - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

crazy you say here “Live in AZ, know a little first hand re: Neal.” and here “On Neal, my information had nothing to do with Irish Illus. I was careful to point out that it was NOT first hand info “. wierd because the are on the same page and you directly contradict yourself. assuming that keith doesnt want to make a complete ass out of you but i would like to…

3. kiopta1 - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Our best chance I think is with armisted and standifer. But the others are in play so work those in homes and phones.

4. jomilly - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM

everytime I doubt BK’s staff ability to recruit. I end up looking like the idiot. There gonna get us a few more good ones

5. jefmaj - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Kelly has in-homes yet with Agholor, Poole, and Darby……… Armstead should have been on the ND basketball bench and enoyed the upset of Syracuse…… with Ekenam’s knee surgery he’s a red-shirt in 2012….. Standifer is a very good player…. We could get 3….. I’d be happy with any 3 of theose 6…… never count Kelly out. Yuri Wright as some things to make right but don’t count him out……….

6. schuey73 - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I’m curious as why nobody talks about Justin Ferguson. He never gets mentioned in these conversations. Isn’t he a WR recruit? ESPN has him ranked as the second highest ND recruit, only behind Gunner. They even have him rated a little higher than Greenberry.

I may have missed it, but is ND planning to use him somewhere else?

7. kiopta1 - Jan 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Greenberry had a beast season and overshadowed ferg…that’s all he is still a good wr.

8. irish2011 - Jan 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM

If we get any great…if not who cares. We already have a very good class. Let’s concentrate on the ones who want to be here.

9. tony34343434 - Jan 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM

would love to get one more receiver and one more CB, then it would be a good class. isn’t a CAL recruit at receiver someone we were high on, maybe he can be pulled in last minute, we really need WR help. some of these guys could step in and play for us year one, would love to get Yuri Wright, i know he made mistakes but remember he is 17 years old. never understand someone like Darby, might start with us as a freshman instead of going to a florida school and not even sniffing the field.

• ndirish86 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Have you actually read the posts from Yuri Wright? This is not “oops I made a mistake” stuff. This is a serious character issue. I understand even scUM backed off, what does that tell you?

Not ND material. I’d be disappointed if they take him.

• ct111 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Will you be disappointed if he help ND win a BCS game?

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM

95% of his posts were SONG LYRICS!!! Judging some1s character based on what they wrote on the internet? For all you know this kid has the greatest personality out of anyone this recruiting class but because he wrote things down that people don’t like he’s all of a sudden got “serious character issues.” What the F*ck happened to freedom of speech and expression? Shame on you for judging a 17-18 year old KID………….I can’t stand when people rip a persons character that THEY DO NOT EVEN REMOTELY KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Ndirish, I agree…kids got character issues f’sho and I see that the high school finally expelled him as well. I see Abraham Elam all over this kid. As I’ve been saying, perfect fit for Florida, LSU, Auburn.

10. gtizzo - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Well Keith,

Some interesting points and some I would disagree with or at least make a different case. Davonte Neal was interested in ND the second the Irish landed Kiel so I wouldn’t say that is a lost cause. Darby was Irish and could be again easily, just takes the right pitch by the right coach. Agholor I don’t think he ends up at USC with Lee, and Woods almost no chance of time as a freshman. If he doesn’t go Irish my money is on a dark horse like Florida landing him. Kelly pulling two from the SEC would be great, but getting Poole away from Florida won’t be easy. Armstead…who knows? His best chance to start is at ND, but why he didn’t commit sooner is the only reason I think he ends up somewhere else. The others I think the Irish can land assuming they get through admissions. Yuri Wright isn’t ND material it just that simple. Keep in mind when a player in the SEC has issues it doesn’t create much press. Put the same kid at ND and it leads Sport Center and most media outlets have it on there websites. Should it be in Yuri Wright’s heart to come to Notre Dame, the first move has to his, and he has to want it! He calls coach Kelly and say coach “I want to change…” then maybe he has a prayer, just not mine. Notre Dame isn’t going to sell who it is just to win, there would be much easier things it could do if it wanted to open up its talent pool.

• mtndguy - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM

After reading Yuri Wright’s Tweets, I’d be surprised if he could meet ND’s academic requirements. Anyone who posts garbage like that can’t be the sharpest tool in the shed.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I have 2 female friends who are Special Ed majors and they make the Deans list every semester…..They listen to Lil Wayne every day(Majority of Yuri’s vulgar tweets are Lil Wayne lyrics) they quote his lyrics on Facebook all the time. Does this mean next semester their just going to become retarded and flunk out of school bc they like Lil Wayne? NO!

• mtndguy - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

guknights75, the stupid part is posting the lyrics for all the world to see. If your friends are posting similar posts to their Facebook accounts it will come back to haunt them. No good employer is going to hire someone who posts garbage like that. If they’re in Special Ed, no parent is going to want someone who posts vulgarity on their Facebook page teaching their special needs child. It’s just how the world works. Perhaps people “your age” need to grow up and realize that people my age are the ones who hire people and are the ones giving out scholarships.

• dickasman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM

guknights, you do have a valid point there….I know alot of them’s as well. Alot of kids I know around here are usually following the jersey shore garbage…. Hmmmmm…..Good point. Something to consider.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well then why dont we just burn the Constitution then might as well…. Its because of people YOUR age who F*CKED this country and my generation over. YOUR generation is the reason why my generation acts the way it does. I guess you guys were too concerned about your social security then to teach your children manners and how to behave in public….You failed to teach other parents the risks of the internet for their children through social media websites and chat rooms. Your generation threw hate “Blacks” rallies….Mine elected a black president……Your generation influenced rap……Mine accepted it……Thats the kind of music that is on just about every 16-30 year-old’s iPod, That is the direction American pop culture is going/already is. I guarantee you half the players on Notre Dames roster LOVE some of the lyrics he posted, does that mean they are idiots? Employers will soon not be able to TOUCH facebook just b/c of B.S. like that. This is America, your supposed to have a life outside of work and school. If you judge a 17 year old kid SOLELY based on what they wrote on their twitter account, then you need to go find a rope, tie a slipknot, put it around your neck, and jump off a bridge bc you have not the slightest clue…….IDC how old you are(IDC=I DONT CARE), all I know is that I’m 23 and I seem to have a better understanding of human psychology and behavior then you. One of my best friends dad is the VP/CFO and in charge of character assessment for Global Crossings, a graduate of MIT, RIT, Clarkson, and Harvard. I am very VERY aware of the procedures companies go through in hiring people and what the “red flags” are for (keyword) POSSIBLE character issues. Facebook is NOT one of them for him because he knows he is not the same person at work as he is “at the lake” as he likes to put it.

I cant believe i’m getting this much backlash for defending someone and making sure people don’t just jump to conclusions. You said my generation needs to grow up? Just look at yourself…….

• mtndguy - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM

guknights75 sounds like you’ve got it all figured out LOL. In the mean time Yuri still lost his scholarship and got kicked out of school……..Now, let me get out of your way so you can continue…….

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM

OK Mountain Dew Guy….I guess you won because hes expelled and thats all that matters….hes officially a POS for the rest of his life b/c he wrote some words down when he was 17. Words that weren’t even his words. Why dont we just go arrest Lil Wayne b/c he has corrupted the minds of the youth and they post his lyrics and get expelled from school….Why not just get rid of the first Amendment while were at it? This kid didn’t rob a gas station, he didn’t jack a car, he didn’t get caught with drugs, (in Michigan’s Case) he didn’t break into someones house and steal a video game, he wasn’t caught multiple times driving on a suspended license, he does not have multiple DUI’s. He typed words on his keyboard………….and if you were offended by them then what are you even doing looking at a 17 – 18 year old kids Twitter account anyways?

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I was taking a hell of a beating today
        Until guknight showed up

Thank you, son.

At 23 you sound like you’ve solved most of the world’s problems

Any thoughts on world peace?

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

guknights… You do have the right to say what you want in this country. However, it does not mean that you are immune to negative consequences. Your 1st Amendment comment has nothing to do with Yuri’s situation. Nothing. Really, it shows a lack of basic understanding of the 1st Amendment on your part. I’m making an assumption here, but I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer.

Just because you know people that do not check Facebook/Twitter before hiring someone does not make that true for possible employer. I have used Facebook before hiring someone. I also always Google their name.

In short, do we know the character of Yuri Wright? No, we don’t. Do we have a right to judge Yuri Wright? Again, no, we don’t. Does ND (UM, USC) have a right to deny entrance into their halls based on questionable character issues? Yes, they do.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM

How have I solved the world’s problems? or even implied that nonsense? Got it all figured out? FFFFFF THAT! Ill be the first person in the room to admit that I have flaws…just like everyone else. Look I don’t think any of you are bad people b/c you disagree with me. I just look for the best in people, and when I see people calling a very vulnerable 18 year old kid a POS, and saying that hes a terrible person…..I mean come on…his personality is know different then any other kid his age. I don’t mind people saying they think he shouldn’t come to ND because I agree, just when people start taking shots at him (saying he can’t make it academically b/c of his twitter) I mean if the kid didn’t feel absolutely terrible about what happened then yeah, by all means rip him to shreds because then its obvious that he doesn’t care., but to say he cant make it academically is Ludacris (No Pun) would we still have been recruiting him this far on w/o knowing if he had the grades? Im DONE with this subject.

11. 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I think Kelly’s landing Kiel will have a ripple effect starting with the last few to go in this class and having a MAJOR effect in next year’s class.

Garnett, the OL from Washington – anyone know where he’s going?

We’ve got 5 freshmen OLs coming next (this?) season. Combined with 5 current OLs that gives us 10. Redshirt the 2 in this class, hopefully 1 or two more.

Stay away from Wright.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Garnett eliminated ND AFTER Kiel committed, Down to scUM & Stanford

We only have 2 OL committed so far…Ron Stanley and Mark Harrell (Scott Daly is a Long Snapper and Jarron Jones is playing defense) so where do you get 5 from?
      and ummm…ide be pretty scared if we only had 5 OL on our current roster. I checked the roster and counted 10 O-Lineman that were not seniors soo again, no clue where your getting your info. And if we did only have 10 OL going in to next year im sure as HELL not redshirting 1 of them, Ever heard of a 2 deep?

Wrights situation was completely blown out of proportion, sucks he got expelled bc of lyrics to GOOD rap songs that I listen to and quote all the time. Everyone our age knows that what he tweeted isn’t a big deal. I know females who listen to those songs everyday, and they are Special Education Majors who are on the Deans list every semester…..

I dont mean to be harsh, just you were plain wrong about the OL and im just fired up about the whole wright situation, I don’t judge a persons character based on something they wrote on the internet, and if you do, you should take a look at your own character, I understand he was excessive, but seriously, expelled from School? I dont think ND should take him….only because the negativity in the media could possibly hurt the team in the end.

• mtndguy - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Lyrics to “GOOD rap songs”? Thanks for enlightening me, now I understand. Since what he said are found in good rap songs, then it’s no big deal. Rap songs are the new moral gauge we should judge all things by. Thank you guknights75.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

What I meant by GOOD is – POPULAR/ WELL-KNOWN
        and if thats all you have as a response then STFU. You have no idea what your talking about, when did I say or even imply that “Rap songs are the new moral gauge we should judge all things by”???? Your just pulling words out of your ass! ITS 2012…GET A FU*KING CLUE!!!!!

• 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

5 referred to the OLs we redshirted last season – freshmen and transfers.
        Checking the current roster shows another 5, so we’ve got at least 10 for next season – 5th year players not yet included.
        IF POSSIBLE redshirt the 2 coming in, hopefully at least 1 more recruit between now and NSD.

Get it?

Yes I have heard of 2 deep.

the Wright situation – UM stopped recruiting him because of the tweets. I am 68 and to me the phrase ‘GOOD rap song’ is an oxymoron.

But that’s just me.

• mtndguy - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:51 AM

guknights75……that hurts…….ouch. Not only are you words of wisdom real keepers, your eloquence is breath taking. Bottom line, Yuri Wright lost a free ride to Michigan because of his idiocy. You continue to make my point, case closed.

• bernhtp - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Right or wrong, fair or not, personal words or rap lyrics ultimately makes little difference. Yuri is currently toxic -Notre Dame can’t take a kid who has such poor judgment, got expelled by his HS, and got dumped by UM. If the character isn’t good enough for a high school or Michigan, I can’t imagine it being acceptable to Notre Dame. I can’t imagine any acts of redemption sufficient to turn this around in the next week.

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

So I don’t mean to go all Catholic on all of you who say “No Way” to Yuri, but what ever happened to the idea of forgiveness and redemption?

If the kid ISN’T contrite and thinks he did nothing wrong, then the hell with him. Let him go to Colorado.

But if he’s truly contrite, willing to apologize in a heartfelt and public manner, willing to make some form of restitution (service to a battered women’s shelter or something like that) and willing to accept some form of restrictions (no social media account, etc) ARE YOU HONESTLY SAYING YOU WOULDN’T GIVE HIM A CHANCE?

I guess none of you have ever spoken or written a four letter word and never did anything inappropriate as a 17 year old. Sounds like we’ve got quite a group here.

And before you jump my ass, YES – I have seen the tweets. They were bad. But by themselves they don’t define the kid.

• dmac4real - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Im 18….So i would qualify as “our age”….Those tweets were dumb as hell. Have fun at Rutgers or UC Yuri…

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I understand now Historian, again wasnt trying to be harsh, just didnt understand where you got those numbers from.

Im 23 and the phrase “Good country song” is a triple oxymoron for me haha

And for the record I do think what he wrote was too excessive but I also believe this was blown WAAAY out of proportion, I agree with Nudeman 100% I mean is it really fair he gets expelled for something when 30 of his classmates probably have the same posts? But b/c he’s in the limelight he gets made an example. Now he is being judged by every ignorant person who knows what happened to him and they are saying “screw this kid” or “what an idiot”. I hope they checked all their other students twitter accounts(yeah I know). He might really be a huge womanizing POS. I don’t know him or have ever talked to him, so I cant come to that assumption. Ive read comments from people who claim to know him and they say he’s an extremely kind person with a big heart. If he genuinely apologizes and pays some restitution then I have No problem giving him a chance to redeem himself. What a better place to redeem yourself then at ND?

12. ct111 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You guys have it all wrong. Kelly & co needs to recruit hotter girls

• uawlocal1136 - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Nudey,

Shame to see you get so bitch slapped today by Keith. Not a good day for pubey, to say the least. Hey, if you need someone to talk to, just give me a call here at the plant. Always had your back bro! :)

Your friend in labor,

UAW Local 1136

Buy Union, Buy American. Re-elect President Obama

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

UAW/Goat
        Ah yes … another post of yours with absolutely no reference to ND
        That’s the 297th straight by my count

You have anything to add to the discussion?
        Topic is “recruiting”

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Tapping foot, waiting for Goat to post.
        Listening to a little ColdPlay. doing some email … hey, no rush.
        Takes time to flip from one ID to the other I guess

Best single post in history here I’ve seen was 9Irish or 91 Irish: “goat = idiot”

Ya think?

• domer77 - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Nude,

You have reached a new low today. Instead of simply shutting up, you go on the attack. Now, you are tapping your foot, begging for a response from goat boy. Idiot. You have nothing better to do. My September post was indeed correct. There you are sitting in front of your oscillating fan, clothed in your favorite fashion statement, the white, wife beater t and amusing your self in some unholy, non-catholic manner. YES! Today, all suspicions have been verified. A good day indeed.

• 9lirish - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

thanks for the compliment nude

that was actually my second best post

you might have missed the first one

nude = hypocriticselfloathingdepressionriddentourettessbittenwasteofnaturalresources…

• nudeman - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM

uaw=goat=domer77

There she is. Right on time.
        My mistake though. Has 3 log ins, not 2.

Never has a single thing to say about ND football. Just attacks people.
        Calls me a “Wife beater”. Seriously?
        You are a pathetic, old puss who sits alone each day in your windowless bedroom, KKK hood and robe nearby, visiting multiple blogs, flipping your IDs so as to appear like you’ve got people who actually agree with you
        Your assholeism is a poor disguise for the fact that you’ve never once come up with anything clever to say
        Not once

298 straight posts now without a single reference to ND football
        Go tuck your multiple personalities into bed
        It’s time to give the keyboard a rest
        Please though … wipe it down first. Bodily fluids are sticky, as you well know

13. nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Never mind gnashing your teeth over Yuri
    Just committed to Colorado

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Good, im glad thats over now. Even if he committed to Michigan I would still defend him and rationalize his tweets to the ignorant

• borromini - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Didn’t expect Colorado, but that would essentially confirm that ND had decided not to pursue him as it was thought by most services that Colorado was clearly behind Michigan and ND for his services.

• bernhtp - Jan 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I said days ago that Yuri was too toxic for Notre Dame, but ND would likely never comment on the situation publicly. Rather, they would quietly stop recruiting him and allow him to find a home elsewhere. It’s sad because I’m sure Yuri would have liked to go to Notre Dame and poor judgment eliminated that opportunity.

• papadec - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

YUP – I saw that @ espn top150.

14. ct111 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Nude you are the man!

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM

ct111
      I agree
      But most others here don’t
      They’re the ones who see this as a place for only Happy Talk
      Say anything critical of Rees and you get killed by the “Tommy is 8-0 as a starter” crowd
      Use an F Bomb and you’re castigated for being a meanie to an 18 year old
      Say you don’t think Recruit X is coming to ND because 83 other sites say that, and you get booed off stage

Best NOT to align yourself with me. I’m highly “controversial”, to put it kindly

Just give me a thumbs down and move along
      Nothing else to see here

• nudeman - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Beautiful
        Keep ‘em coming
        I even gave myself a thumbs down

I’m today’s Darth Vader

15. 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM

guknights75 – We understand each other about as well as a young whippersnapper (you) and an old fart (moi) can.

Your jest about country music – ha ha. May I recommend ‘Seeds’ by Kathy Mattea and ‘Go Rest High on That Mountain’ by Vince Gill. In another genre – ‘Nessun Durma’ as performed by the late maestro Luciano Pavarotti.

Wright – “I would still defend him and rationalize his tweets to the ignorant.” Your words.

Q: Are you saying that 1) the people he was tweeting to are ignorant, or 2) are you saying that we who disapprove of what he did are ignorant? I realize the answer in all probability is 2, but you really should be clearer.

His getting expelled when probably a lot of his classmates are doing the same or worse – point taken, but HE is the one who was the subject of a serious recruiting battle between some of them biggest universities in the country, and HE should have the sense to realize what that means – you’re not a kid anymore. At least TRY to begin acting like an adult. His 30 friends don’t have to yet, but HE DOES.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I guess a few people have been missing my point (I have a few other posts on the matter) that I think what he did was wrong, he should not have been so excessive. I also think the whole situation was overreacted. I can’t tell you what was going on in his mind,but did it truly deserve expulsion? He didn’t punch anyone, he didn’t threaten anyone. I knew kids who did things 10 times worse then what he did and have 1 week In-School Suspension. A kid in my school stole an exacto knife out of Art class put it in his backpack and intentionally walked down the hall with his friends blocking off the lunch room where our star basketball player with a D1 scholarship got stabbed in the thigh 2 inches deep and had t go to the hospital. The kid got 1 month out of school suspension. I thought the point of the educational system was to graduate students? Maybe he had prior warnings and chose to ignore them, and in that case, that’s ALL on him. Maybe he didn’t realize coaches would check his twitter, I never thought twice about my Facebook when I was being recruited and I had some of the same lyrics he had posted…Does that make me a bad person deserving of expulsion and denied the opportunity to join my dream school? Because I quoted one of the most popular songs in the world? Pretty much what i’m trying to say is he was wrong in being so excessive, but that’s ALL that was wrong about it…..(maybe also the tweet calling some1 a dickhead, but you also don’t see what that person said to him so maybe he deserved it. And if that is expulsion worthy, then what has this world come to?)

A) I’m saying the people who read his tweets and don’t realize they are song lyrics and not his actual thoughts, are ignorant, so I must “enlighten”. I know i’m fighting a losing battle b/c he was wrong, I just wish people wouldn’t be so quick to judge…

If you wanna hear most of Yuri’s tweets as they were meant to be heard listen to 3 Peat, The Sky is the Limit, and I know the Future by Lil Wayne ;)

• papadec - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM

guknights75 – I believe you, and the majority of people defending Yuri’s rights, are missing some very important points. Yuri WAS attending a private school. The rules at that, and other private schools, are different than at a public HS. Yuri knew the rules. According to his coach – he was told several (10 – 15) times to stop the Tweeting. HE DID NOT STOP. His expulsion was the result of repeatedly bucking the system. Their response was – Goodbye. Regarding The Constitution & Amendments to (including “Free Speech”). It is against the law to yell “FIRE” in a movie theater (if there is no fire) because of the threat to public safety as a result. I suggest you clean up your act regarding your posts. You make some very valid points – BUT, they are diminished by your insults.

• guknights75 - Jan 28, 2012 at 5:37 AM

papadec – I don’t recall ever insulting anyone personally on this site. In fact, when I felt I might have came off as insulting i said “not to be harsh” or “i don’t dislike any of u bc u disagree with me” . My generation rant…maybe (I felt I was being attacked), but I was more stating facts…(the hang yourself line was obviously overreaction, but my point remains valid) If you read my posts by time you would see this…..

Ok he went to a private school….if that’s the reason he got expelled then why did it take a scUM alum to report the tweets to Hoke, leading to the schollie being pulled, which just made it NATIONAL HEADLINES….Then he gets expelled …they obviously didn’t enforce their rules until it was well known and they were under a lot of pressure to do something about it. IMO 1 month out of school suspension should have been sufficient. Expulsion was out of line and I don’t see the benefit of taking a 17 year old kid completely out of the classroom during the last semester in his Sr. year. Keep him in detention all day isolated from the rest of the school, where he can still be taught by school faculty. If he doesn’t cooperate then kick his a** out…He was told 10-15 times to stop, yet he was still in school until this story broke…. wouldn’t that infer he was receiving “special” treatment? Fact is, if he goes pro he would become a booster, and they sure want that money! But they were pressured into expelling him……this is coach Toal’s actual quote..”We told THEM (THE ENTIRE TEAM) about 10 or 15 times to get off (Twitter) and not to be involved in it, but there is always somebody who thinks he knows better.” The 10-15 was not focusing on Yuri, but addressing the Team…

Technically there is nothing legally wrong with what they did (if this were a public school he could sue the s*it out of them)….I’m just wondering why they didn’t take care of it sooner… isn’t the school to blame at all for letting it go on? Your ‘fire” argument has know bearing whatsoever in this case.

This is what living in America should grant you, you’re God given right know matter what school you go to. Separation between church and state should have the line drawn at education…. (this particular SC case was about flag burning)

Texas v Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989)

Justice William J. Brennan, Jr. asserted that “if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea offensive or disagreeable.”

People CHOSE to read his tweets, they didn’t have to follow him they CHOSE to. He wasn’t forcing his ideas on any1……

I hope no1 was offended by me… I am a very kind and respectful person especially to my elders. Some times my emotions run high and this subject definitely got them running. Now lets get excited for NSD, it’ll be a great day! (sorry if this was hard to follow)

GO IRISH!

16. 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM

nudeman – your 2:01 post. As far as I know World peace still plays for the Lakers.

(ha ha- JOKE)

Let’s keep it civil folks, because in about 25 years guknights will be defending HIS generation.

17. 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM

guknights – your 3:51. If I am getting way out of context so be it.

Your statement “Does that make me a bad person and deserving of expulsion and denied the opportunity to join my dream school because I quoted one of the most popular songs in the world?”

It’s one of the most popular songs in YOUR world, not mine. That Wright was just quoting it is irrelevant – all that is important is that he tweeted or twitted or whatever he did – he went public. (I’ve seen pictures of L’il Wayne and he scares the shit out of me and I would NOT like to live next door to him.)

I graduated from High School 50 years ago and the world you describe in your High School is almost beyond belief to me. I pity you and your generation and I am truly sorry for the mess we left you to work your way out of but – so what? What are you going to do about it? I must also admit that I have heard of Facebook, Tweet, Twitter and that other stuff but I have NO intention to get into any of it. I value my privacy (in addition to being an old fart I am also an old coot) and from what I have seen of it it is apalling.

FYI – I live in northern New England on a dirt road and I don’t have to take the keys out of the car at night, I never lock the house unless I’ll be out of town for a week or so and I have peeed on the property so many times that my dog has given up – when he wants to take a leak he goes into the woods.

We now return you to the last week of the recruiting battle.

• guknights75 - Jan 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I completely avoid twitter at all costs….I think it’s the dumbest thing in the world to get into, know1 needs to know what your doing at all times except your G/F, (wife I hear doesn’t care as much) Facebook is much better b/c you actually have to accept your friends…I have said before that if he did this on Facebook, we wouldn’t be talking right now. b/c Facebook has better privacy and people who don’t know you feel more hesitant towards requesting you as a friend and its not as confusing to read.

I’m not arguing the fact that HE was at fault…I’m saying people are misconstruing his intentions, people taking offense to something that wasn’t aimed at them or anybody. either way I don’t think we will see eye to eye on this one but the good thing is we won’t have to worry about it anymore!!!…..I do respect you for taking a look at his picture though hahaha FYI Lil Wayne is like 5’4″ 130, he looks like a gremlin, but he has a heart of GOLD (or a mouth full of?)

I’m from upstate NY and live on a paved suburban street (unless I’m “up north” ADK Mountains) and I to piss ALL over my lawn :)

• 1historian - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

And they lived happily ever after

We now return you to the last week of recruiting

18. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM

For all you conspiracy theorists out there consider this: I read somewhere that it was a Michigan alum who let Yuri’s tweets out of the bag. Michigan then dropped their recruitment of him like a hot potato. What if Hoke & Co. knew Yuri was an ND “lean” for signing day and they got out in front of the twitter story to withdraw their offer and thereby pre-emptively back ND into a corner, such that Kelly and ND could not afford the bad press which would undoubtedly come with any continued efforts to recruit Wright? Is this plausible or did I just put too many Starbucks K cups through the Keurig today? If this did happen, then we are dealing with some evil geniuses in the field of negative recruiting.

• papadec - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM

ha ha ha ha ha ha – joisey, joisey, joisey – I don’t know about too many Starbucks – maybe too many Buds. Let me throw this twist into your conspiracy theory – what if it was an osu person that leaked the UM alum story?

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Wow papadec…..that just blew my mind. I knew Urban was good, but this is scary. One well-placed rumor and he foils the plans of both the Irish and the Wolverines. Nothing short of brilliant. When is his contract up?

19. papadec - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM

joisey – fuh gettah ’bout it. He is poisona non gratah @ ND, now. I wouldn’t expect to see him at any future coaching clinics @ ND.

• Jennifer - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Oh, the intrigue….If I was a guy and had a handle-bar mustache, I’d be “tweeking” it right about now.