The Commitments: Wide receivers

Jan 27, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT

Deontay Greenberry Head

Part three of our series recapping the recruits ready to sign letters-of-intent with Notre Dame next Wednesday. Previous installments include running backs and offensive linemen.

The shadow that Michael Floyd‘s graduation will leave over the Irish offense likely won’t clear in just one season. (Consider even Floyd’s No. 3 jersey won’t even be in uniform next year, with transfer Amir Carlisle sitting out the 2012 season thanks to NCAA transfer rules.) But like the Irish coaching staff did last year, they evaluated their roster deficiencies and took dead aim at them. And with the Irish’s 2012 slate of receivers — even if it doesn’t grow in the next week — they’ve done an excellent job bringing in impact players that can help jump-start the evolution of Brian Kelly and Chuck Martin’s spread offense.

Floyd’s departure leaves Notre Dame with no true game-breaker at wide receiver. Theo Riddick, who Kelly thought would be his answer at the slot has been anything but, and could potentially spend his final season in blue and gold at running back. The only receiving nightmare on the Irish roster is a tight end, with All-American Tyler Eifert the team’s best option through the air. Yet there’s reason to believe this offense can take strides forward, even while losing their best player. Redshirts Davaris Daniels and Matthias Farley will have their first shot at filling the void, but come summer they’ll be joined by three impressive incoming recruits, each with some game-breaking athleticism that is in short supply on the current roster.

CHRIS BROWN
High School: Hanahan High — Hanahan, South Carolina
Measureables: Six-foot-two, 175-pounds
Other major offers: Arkansas, Clemson, Illinois, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Fun Fact: Broke South Carolina’s oldest state record with a 51-foot, 2.5 inch triple jump during his junior year.
On choosing Notre Dame: “Towards the end of the visit I was just thinking to myself that this could be a place I could go and shine,” Brown told BlueandGold.com. “There were a lot of positives about it.”
What he’ll bring to the offense: Brown might be one of the most under-the-radar players coming into Notre Dame. A collarbone injury robbed Brown of a large chunk of his senior season, but his speed and athleticism (his junior year triple-jump would’ve been eight inches shy of the Big East champion’s jump last year) will be a great blessing to go along with his six-foot-two frame. The Irish battled Steve Spurrier for Brown’s signature, and while it’ll take some time in the weight-room for Brown to be physically ready, the Irish won’t have many athletes with Brown’s ability in uniform next season. A true wildcard in the recruiting class.

JUSTIN FERGUSON
High School: Flanagan High — Pembroke Pines, Florida
Measureables: Six-foot-two, 205-pounds
Other major offers: Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, Wisconsin
Fun Fact: One of the most impressive WRs at The Opening, the Nike’s invite-only scouting combine.
On choosing Notre Dame: “I liked them because of the education — that’s first and foremost,” Ferguson told the Sun Sentinel. “Once I got there, the coaches showed me a lot of love. They were really interested in me and told me it was the program that could benefit me the most.”
What he’ll bring to the offense: Ferguson is well put together physically, which could lead to early playing time. He reminds me a lot of a young David Givens, the highly-touted Irish wide receiver that didn’t hit his stride until joining the New England Patriots. Ferguson is a more natural receiver than Givens though, and while he might not be a true burner, he’ll be a tough assignment in the open field, whether starting at the slot or outside.

DEONTAY GREENBERRY:
High School: Washington Union — Fresno, California
Measureables: Six-foot-three, 185-pounds
Other major offers: Alabama, Cal, LSU, UCLA, USC, Washington
Fun Fact: Named Mr. Football in California after breaking yardage and 41-year touchdown catch state record.
On choosing Notre Dame: “We agreed since we were little we were going to the same college,” Greenberry said of playing with cousin Tee Shepard, an early-enrollee cornerback.
What he’ll bring to the offense: Having watched Greenberry a handful of times during his senior season, you start to think he’ll make a difference the minute he steps on campus. With jump-ball skills that rival Michael Floyd’s, Greenberry’s prodigious stats — crushing California records while leading his team to a state championship — match the physical attributes he brings to the field. It’s hard to find a receiver that’s got better game tape than Greenberry, and he’s seen his recruiting profile sky-rocket since exiting his junior year with only four scholarship offers. If there’s an offensive recruit that’s the most important on the Irish board, it’s Greenberry.

High School: Hanahan High — Hanahan, South Carolina
Measureables: Six-foot-two, 175-pounds

1. gtizzo - Jan 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Here are some interesting stats on Irish recruiting. These are provided by Matt Fortuna who works with ESPN and I thank him for them. Although ESPN is full of people who do nothing but serve an agenda driven media. The stats are telling:
    “Notre Dame has 36 ESPNU 150 players from 2007-11, the fifth-most in the nation. Florida (57) has the most.
    Seven of the 104 ESPNU 150 wide receivers from 2007-11 have gone to Notre Dame, which ties the Irish with Texas and LSU for most at that position.
    Three of the 27 ESPNU 150 tight ends from 2007-11 have chosen the Irish, giving them the most during that span.
    The average Notre Dame recruit travels 791 miles from campus. Eight schools reel in recruits from a longer average distance”.

Think the Irish can’t recruit think again. There is a huge edge when a kid wants to stay close to home and state schools play on that advantage. Florida, Texas and USC don’t need to sell a program just say “hey mom and dad can watch you play every home game”. Difficult thing to work around, but the idea of “cold weather” playing a factor is just silly…disagree? Then explain why a kid from Hawaii would go to South Bend? Lots of Irish love to Manti T’eo All American and future first round NFL draft pick.

• nudeman - Jan 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

gtizzo
      NOOOOOO.
      You quoted information from another source!!!
      BAD gtizzo. VERY BAD. That kind of posting is discouraged here.
      Just ask 77/goat/UAW/MRHappy

And stay off his lawn

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM

From Irish Illust.
      For reasons I’ve already posted I’ve thought this one smelled bad for a long time
      Never thought he was serious about ND
      At least now his circus has left town
      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pete Sampson

Post #21683
      South Bend, IN
      MyFanPage
      Add Buddy
      Arik Armstead update (Sunday)

——————————————————————————–
      Four-star defensive end Arik Armstead will announce his college decision at 6 p.m. (eastern) today at his church in California. Irish Illustrated has learned that the family has informed the Notre Dame football program that Arik Armstead will not be committed to the Irish. So that’s that. Notre Dame is officially out.

• papadec - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

nude – I guess I’ll go turn on the tube to espn & wait to see what they flash on the bottom line alerts. The good news is the circus has left town. The bad news is – someone has to go out with a broom & shovel to clean up the mess left behind.

2. seanb20124 - Jan 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Hope Greenberry makes it official and makes it to southbend

• jimbasil - Jan 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Killjoy!

3. nudeman - Jan 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Geaux Irish

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jan 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM

What’s with the creole? Flaunting to LSU that we got Kiel?

• papadec - Jan 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM

joisey – If ya got it – flaunt it!

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jan 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m all for flaunting it, just didn’t understand the comment in the context of the article. Rock on, nude.

• dickasman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yeah nude u got problems w geaux’s or something? They are humans although my church has taught me they re not.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Love “Geaux” and all they stand for
        Took 6 years of French in HS

• dickasman - Jan 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM

That explains it all then…I knew it nude…..I caught right on to your geauxness from your very first post.

4. ct111 - Jan 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Greenberry is visiting another school!!!! This looks bad!!

5. nudeman - Jan 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

goat/domer/UAW/DrHappy

What do you think here on the WRs?
    Your chance to make your first ever contribution

Moron

6. nudeman - Jan 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I want everyone to remember this message when NSD comes.

If you believe that this board is only for Happy ND Talk, then just give me a thumbs down and move along. If you believe it is for discussion and viewpoints you might even disagree with, then read on.

Greenberry: ND, no problem. Houston? In a word “no effing way” .
    Standifer: Signs with ND
    Armstead: UW. Can EE in March; they’re on a quarter system. Good riddance to his circus
    Ekanem: VA Tech. ND gave up on him
    Darby: FSU. Tweet out from Mike Farrell today that he’s eliminated ND. Told you.
    Poole: FL. Not going to decommit from his “dream school”
    Agholor: USC or FL; Since this week’s Official, no encouraging information.
    Neal: UA or ASU; Again, nothing encouraging since Official this week.

So as I said 10 days ago the recruiting season ends with with a whimper.

Re Armstead: How many hoops (no pun) does ND have to jump through to please someone? They’ve done it all, he declined EE, and now we know why. The UW thing is perfectly teed up.
    I said a month ago it felt like he was toying with ND.
    He’ll be a pain in the ass for someone; most likely UW.

2012 Grade:
    If I’m right on the above: B+ mostly because of Gunner
    If we grab one of the above not named Armstead: A-

• papadec - Jan 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

nude – gotta give you credit for putting it out there. I think I have to agree with it. I think we could add: Zach Banner to UW. Maybe we have a shot at Kyle Murphy and/or Jordan Diamond for the OL.

• ct111 - Jan 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Its sad that Ronald Darby eliminated ND after he was committed to ND for so long. I agree with Nude, we need to stop having high hopes with this recruiting class.

• dickasman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Yeah it is sad but I’m getting over bob marley rather quickly. I think he finally gave into the temptations and succumbed to the POP. Let’s get a kid in there who appreciate the school and the great alumni base nd has. He’ll regret it in the long run.

• ct111 - Jan 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

But Nude why are you so harsh on Armstead? He is one of the highest sought after recruit this year. He is still a teenager and has a million people telling him all kinds of stuff. He is too young to know who is speaking the truth or who is spitting out BS.

• nudeman - Jan 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

ct111
        Context: I’m an ND football fan and we’re just yakking about sports here. I am sure he’s a good young man. And he is definitely a great football prospect.

Having said that, I don’t like the way he’s conducted his recruitment.
        First it was “academics are most important”. ND’s got that. so check that one off.
        Then “I want to play b-ball too”. ND says “fine”, puts Brey in front of him. Check.
        Then wants to EE: Check.
        Then ND brings his bro in, treats him like a Saudi prince. Check.
        I get the impression if he wanted to play ice hockey they’d have said “OK” to that too.

So what happens?
        He doesn’t EE and now the word is out that he’s eliminated ND.

I don’t see how any reasonable person can conclude he was EVER serious about ND.
        I took heat here for F Bombing the kid, so I won’t repeat that.
        But unless he shocks everyone tomorrow and announces ND, he’s been toying with us.

My opinion.

• papadec - Jan 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

If anyone thinks the decision is being made by anyone other than Guss – think again.

• irishinmich - Jan 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Nude, I promise I will remember your message. I uses your insightful comments as original thoughts when I argue with all my U of M fans here in Michigan. I would implore NBC Sports to consider you to replace Keith. I’d write more, but I need to get my tongue out of my cheek and head to work.

• nudeman - Jan 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

irishmich
        Thanks man
        Means an awful lot to me

Been a long winter here

• 9irish - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM

How are things up there? I used to laugh at people wanting to can Lloyd Carr when I lived in A2…hence the chaos that came afterwards. If ND doesn’t beat them this year, I’m going to…do something! I think Michigan’s lucky streak has ran it’s course…I hope.

• gtizzo - Jan 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM

To response or not response, I’ll respond.

First ND didn’t give up on Ekanem he has a torn ACL and the Irish are waiting on the doctors take on his injury. Poole and his “dream school” depends on who wears the pants in house. His dad liked ND and his mother wants him to be gator. Agholor is an interesting story because USC might have a need since Kyle Prater just completed a transfer to Northwestern. Florida’s QB situation is worse then Notre Dame’s and there with out QB guru in Weis and have yet another OC (that is what 3 in 4 years I think?). Gus Armstead (the dad) said “if we had completed the transfer paperwork on time (talking about Armond) both would be at Notre Dame right now”, Mike Farrell doesn’t have any love for ND so him eliminating the Irish from Darby is no surprise. Davonte Neal wants to play with Gunner Kiel, something tells me that is the reason he goes Irish.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

gtizzo
        OK, a few points:
        Ekanem: ND cancelled his visit, probably because they were skittish about his knee and maybe because they were optimistic about some other recruits.
        Poole: I hope you’re right; but you have to also assume the kid gets a vote too and it sounds like he wants FL
        Kyle Prater caught something like 2 passes at USC, so he didn’t leave huge shoes to fill. Agholor: His tweets after the ND official were less than enthusiastic.
        Armstead: You can’t blame Mike Farrell. No one is predicting ND here.
        Neal: I have 2nd hand info that says Neal’s dad loves ND but the kid wants to stay in state, and that’s what will end up happening.

• papadec - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:35 AM

gtizzo – Amir Carlisle will be sitting out a year (transfer from usc & leg injury). Amir & Ken Ekanem could rehab together. I think Ken is worth red shirting a year for.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Well, I’m wrong on 1 now
      Apparently Standifer is out

Jesus

• andy44teg - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Care to elaborate??

• papadec - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

nude – If three star Standifer is out – does that mean higher rated Poole and/or Darby are in?

• nudeman - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Standifer tweeted something about “ND not working out”. Don’t know if that’s due to the Spanish thing or something else

As far as Darby/Poole, it would be great to know they dropped Standifer because of something like that. But I have no idea. The possible flips are Neal, Poole and Darby.
        Of the 3 seems Poole or Neal are the most likely, but still less than 50%.

Darby seems about 2%

• dickasman - Jan 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Nude, looks like its NO MAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS for Standifer. ND would not take the University of Phoenix Online spanish 101 course he took.

Dam it….I blame Ronald Darby. I hope he gets gang “hair tackled” every game he plays in this year.

• papadec - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

dickas – still plenty of time for him to take a more acceptable online class – if that’s the only problem.

7. papadec - Jan 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

nude – Irish Sports Daily reports that Arik will announce his commit Sunday afternoon @ 3:00pm (PST) at his church.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Irish Illust says ND has been informed they’re out

8. papadec - Jan 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

nude – completely agree with you regarding the Armstead family recruitment. I would be surprised if Arik goes anywhere but the PAC-12. Wouldn’t be surprised if both boys go to usc. They could play football together, and the sc hoops team could definitely use Arik. For that matter – UWash hoops could use Arik also. I’d rather Arik went to Auburn so that he isn’t playing against Wash St & ND.

9. ct111 - Jan 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

From a close source of mine, Armstread eliminated ND. Maybe next year we can land a blue chip recruit

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You appear to be right
      Irish Illustrated’s Pete Sampson reports ND has been informed they’re out.
      I think this kid used ND and created a circus out of his recruitment
      I won’t miss him
      Most definitely

• papadec - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

nude – I have to laugh. After the Armstead family circus including ND, and usc releasing Amir Carlisle who enrolled @ ND, sc included ND & ALL PAC-12 schools in their list of exclusions for Prater’s transfer request.

• papadec - Jan 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

OREGON! espn just had a Bottomline announcement that Arik has made a verbal commitment to OREGON. Stay tuned for the actual FAX – next Wednesday. Why do I have a gut feeling the circus ain’t over yet?

• papadec - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

ct111 – I suppose you consider Gunner Kiel is chopped liver?

10. 1historian - Jan 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

We’ve only got 17 so far and there are 3 full days to go and if BK and the boys can pull three diamonds out of the hat at the last moment LAST year – what’s to stop them THIS year?

This is not over.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Maybe. But yesterday was the last day for visits. Right?
      So anything from this point forward has to happen over the phone.

Not impossible, but I can’t think of a single one of these guys where I’ve read ANYTHING that makes me think they’re susceptible to a flip.

Darby seems long gone; Armstead I’m sure is gone. Poole has his dream school slobbering all over him. Etc.

Hope there’s a rabbit or two.

11. 9irish - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM

I think Floyd will be more easily replaced than some think. Not directly, but in general. Raw talent wise, it will be awhile, but he never really seemed like he was completely in it, so other areas can make up for the brute force that he has. ND keeps getting these TEs, start using those guys, be amazed at what that opens up down the field (damned NE Patriots). Floyd played a huge role just as a decoy though, so he will be missed. Most important thing about WRs though is just being able to accurately get them the ball…still think that is the linch pin in everything.

Don’t like some of the “shadiness” associated with some of these guys…might be more trouble than they are worth.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Floyd was an outrageous talent and won’t be easily replaced.
      Having said that, he had an annoying habit of dropping perfectly thrown passes.
      Probably a concentration issue more than anything else.

• 9irish - Jan 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yeah…kinda what I was saying. I don’t think he will be “replaced” easily, just think that things can morph without him being there and still be really effective.

• runners00 - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I think Floyd had great skills but in key moments he made big mistakes. Great players, especially those who play on Sunday, don’t drop passes in key moments. He’ll probably grow out of this once he is in the league but as a college player he had a lot of raw talent that just didn’t quite get exposed.

12. dickasman - Jan 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Guys, I’d be happy w this group if this stays as is as long as dingleberry signs w us.

13. dickasman - Jan 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I think devarus Daniels could be a force if he can just hold on to the ball. From what I’ve seen of him, he shows early signs of having butterfinger issues.

• nudeman - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Where did you see him? He hasn’t played a down

• dickasman - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I threw him a couple n he dropped them both.

14. dickasman - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I saw the dirtyunderwearer all star game last year