Feb 1, 2012, 11:47 AM EST
As of last night, Deontay Greenberry had confirmed with the Irish coaching staff that he was set to sign his letter-of-intent with Notre Dame. But as the morning hours roll on in South Bend, the Notre Dame fax machine that awaited the four-star recruit’s signature sits idle.
Multiple news outlets have reported a Signing Day surprise, with Greenberry reportedly flipping his pledge from Notre Dame and instead choosing to play for Houston. The move has been confirmed by Houston’s official athletic department Signing Day blog and official Twitter account. The loss of Greenberry is a shocking blow to the Irish recruiting class and arguably the biggest splash the Cougars have ever made in national recruiting game.
Greenberry visited Houston last weekend on an official visit but returned to Fresno still committed to the Irish. He reportedly took his visit to Houston based on his relationship with special teams and inside receivers coach Jamie Christian, who joined the staff from Arizona State, where he had recruited Greenberry. It was Christian who got Greenberry to visit the Conference USA school, that finished 13-1 last year under then head coach Ken Sumlin.
Greenberry has long said he’d be joining his cousin Tee Shepard at college. The two had taken various recruiting visits together, including a late season trip to USC on the weekend Shepard’s Washington Union squad played in the CIF state championship game. But with Shepard enrolled at Notre Dame, Greenberry took his official last week alone.
There is no official comment from Notre Dame on Greenberry’s commitment, due to NCAA rules. Greenberry’s defection leaves the Irish recruiting class at 16 members, with Las Vegas’ Ronnie Stanley still waiting to sign his letter-of-intent.
- It’s official: Golson returns to Notre Dame 59
- Bob Diaco accepts the UConn head coaching job 117
- Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make 40
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Bryant’s redshirt freshman season appears official (118)
- Postseason Mailbag: Now Open (Christmas giveaway bonus!) (91)
- Recruiting bonanza continues with TE Tyler Luatua commitment (90)
- Pot of Gold pushes Notre Dame recruiting to the forefront (34)
- Elston pledges return as Irish program moves forward (28)